Google MisTranslates

Think of the original words from part of a song, book, movie, or anything popular like that and run them through 5 or more languages on Google translate. Reply once per quote with the original words posted and the ‘translated’ words below that. You can also just post the orginal quote you want translated and I’ll do that for you.

“We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

• The (US) Declaration of Independence

People are, of course, created in the same way. There is no doubt that Thearada has a right to life, liberty and happiness.

1 Like

Original:

“We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

Azerbaijani:

Biz bu Həqiqətləri öz-özünə aydın hesab edirik ki, bütün İnsanlar bərabər yaradılmışdır, onlara Yaradan tərəfindən müəyyən ayrılmaz hüquqlar verilmişdir, bunlar arasında Həyat, Azadlıq və Xoşbəxtlik Axtarışı da vardır.

Didn’t even need to put it through five times.

Original:

“I’m not your girlfriend or the frightened princess.”

Result:

“I am not your friend, or with a quill with trembling wings of a dove, the daughter of the Queen Mother.”

Through Latin only. Latin and Hawaiian are great for messing things up with only a single translation.

1 Like

I might just go over the top, because I have a list of 25 languages

From a song from the new disney movie original lines:

He told me that the man of my dreams
Would be just out of reach, betrothed to another
it’s like I hear him, now

Improperly google translated:

the dreamer told me
Dedicate yourself to others
He seems to be listening now.

Properly google translated
the dreamer told me
Others are dedicated to me
I think I’m listening now

1 Like

Original:
“Merry Christmas ya filthy animal.”

• Home Alone

Result:
“Christmas decorations.”

Oops, oh silly me. Thought we were all doing the same quote 5 times, ignore my first post :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Original: “Luke, I am your father.”

Result: “Time is up.”

Putting it through five languages didn’t change it, so I put it through all of them in order.

1 Like

I feel obliged to mention this:

“… a bootlegged version of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith . The bootleg contains hilarious English subtitles translated poorly from Chinese.” Check it out if you’ve time and want some amusement. Be forewarned that some of the resultant translations are NSFW.

2 Likes

I’m translating my latest Swanson Chapter (I have to do some in parts due to how long it is)

Original:

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

Going through Spanish → Hungarian → Korean → Icelandic → Hebrew → English

Turned out:

The shark of life? Mississippi? I was broken …

I think the biggest error occurred from Korean to Icelandic.

Edit: I tried again using the same quote and the same languages. Different result this time:

Is this real life?
Mississippi?
Warned
There is no escape route

1 Like

Haha had to try another one.

Original:
The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. (Nelson Mandela)

Turned into:
If you do not have a password, you must not configure it again.

English - Latin - IGBO - Tamil - Swedish (was still at least similar themed here) - Urdu - English

3 Likes

That one sounds like it was translated to IT Security somewhere along the way :laughing:

2 Likes

Original
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

→ Hungarian → Finnish → Romanian → Mongolian → Burmese → English

“Best time Worst time Wisdom Insanity Trust Light clock Darkness Spring of Hope Disappointed winter; Everything was before us and nothing happened. We all went straight to heaven and we all went straight to one side. The times are very similar to the present. Strict authorities say that some authorities accept it as good or bad only on the basis of comparisons.”

5 Likes

Original:
We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

→ Spanish → Maltese → Croatian → Nepali → French → English

Result:
We are all at the end of the story. Fix that, huh?

3 Likes

The “fix that, huh?” made me laugh :rofl:

3 Likes

𝗢𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗶𝗻𝗮𝗹:
“Luke, I am your father.”

• Star Wars
    𝗥𝗲𝘀𝘂𝗹𝘁:
    “See the problem.”

Original: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife

Put through every language in alphabetical order: The rich can get married

3 Likes

Original:
To be or not to be
Dutch-Persian-Yiddish-Latin-Turkish-English
Result:
To be or not to be

I wasn’t satisfied, so I added to the original and ran them through the same languages:
To be or not to be, that is the question
Result:
To be or not to be, that is the question

4 Likes

Original:
“Where is it blue?” “On de ting.”

→ Spanish → Nepali → Hawaiian → Welsh → Arabic → English

Result:
“Where’s the blue?” “On Ting Day”.

2 Likes