Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

Cute Kids And Boba Bliss

, , , , , , | Right | April 26, 2024

I haven’t had such polite customers in a while. It was two young kids who looked to be ten or eleven. They came in and asked if we still sold our boba tea drinks.

Me: “Of course. The menu is here. What flavors would you like?”

It took a minute, but they decided on two drinks: a mango and a plain milk tea.

The total was $12.42, and they emptied their hoodie pockets onto the countertop. It was mostly coins, and they had a few single dollar bills. Admittedly, I thought their parents hadn’t given them enough, but…

Kid #1: “We’ve been saving quarters just for your drinks!”

Kid #2: “We don’t know how much we have. Can you count it for us, please?”

I was going to spot them if they didn’t have enough — they were truly sweet kids — but they had enough.

I brewed the best boba drinks I had ever made. They were the politest guests I’d had in weeks. I made sure these cups were filled to the brim, with extra pearls and everything — the whole nine yards. These were blue ribbon-worthy drinks by the time I had them done.

They even pushed their chairs back in place. That’s a rarity where I work.

I know this is boring compared to a lot of stories, but it made my day, and I just wanted to share it. I hope they enjoyed their drinks today. They also insisted on tipping me a dollar in quarters “just because”.

Her Reasoning Isn’t Very “Solid”

, , , , , , , | Right | April 26, 2024

An older and well-dressed woman approaches me at the counter looking concerned.

Customer: “I’m concerned!” 

Nailed it.

Customer: “There’s a man using the ladies’ toilet!”

Me: “Oh, well, I can see why that could be concerning.” 

Customer: “They’re still in there! Hurry! You can catch them!”

I follow her, if anything just to calm her down, and we get to the ladies’ toilet. There’s no sign of a man, but one of the stalls is occupied.

Customer: “He’s in here, still!” 

Me: *Calling out* “Hello, this is a member of staff. Just to let anyone in here know, this is the ladies’ toilet, and the gents is just on the other side of the floor, for future reference.”

There’s the sound of flushing and a woman comes out of the stall. She looks around.

Other Customer: “No men in here, love, just me!” 

I turn to the “concerned” customer.

Me: “We must have just missed them. Sorry if he startled you. What did he look like, for future reference?”

Customer: “Well, I didn’t see him; I just smelled him.” 

Me: “Smelled?”

Customer: “He was…” *Looks left and right and then leans in to whisper* “He was… defecating!”

Me: “And you know it was a man?”

Customer: “Of course! A lady doesn’t do that outside her own home!”

Other Customer: “If you’re talking about taking a loud s***, love, that was me! The vindaloo from last night got the better of me, and I just had to… well… release it into the wild!” 

Customer: *Looking horrified* “But… but you’re a lady!”

Other Customer: “I’m a woman, aye, love, but I’m no lady!” 

The customer looks at me, pleadingly.

Customer: “You let… you let customers defecate in here?!” 

Me: “Well… it is a customer toilet, so, yes.”

Customer: “But… but… this is the ladies’ toilet! Ladies do not defecate outside their own homes! You need to stop that!”

Me: “Sorry, madam, but how would we do that?”

The customer continues to stare at me frantically, desperate to find an answer to my question. With none forthcoming, she throws her hands up in the air, declares that she’s never coming back to this “disgusting store” ever again, and storms out.

Other Customer: “I just passed a vindaloo so spicy it made my a**e look like the flag of Japan, but that woman was a more painful experience.”

The Guidebook Is Not A Substitute For Your Brain

, , , , | Working | April 26, 2024

I am training a new worker at the checkouts. They’ve gone through the scripts in the training guide and have been putting them to use in the real world. A customer who is obviously blind is checking out and has purchased a bottle of wine.

New Hire: “Can I please see your driver’s license?”

Me: “[New Hire], he won’t have one.”

Customer: “I’m afraid he’s correct, my friend.”

New Hire: “Then I am afraid I have to refuse this sale, sir.”

Me: “No, [New Hire], you can ask for alternative forms of ID.”

New Hire: “But the guidebook said a driver’s license is best.”

Me: “Because it’s the most common, but not every customer is going to have a driver’s license.”

New Hire: “But the guidebook said—”

Me: “[New Hire], the customer is blind.”

The customer waves, smirking. He may be blind, but he can “see” exactly what’s going on here.

The new hire stops in their tracks for a moment to process this new information. The cogs sloooowly turn, and they gradually come out of their mental “blue screen”.

New Hire: “But the guidebook said—”

Me: “Here, sir, let me take over for you. Is that your passport I see there? Excellent!”

The new hire didn’t last much longer.

I Don’t Get Paid To Fix Your Whoopsie-doodles

, , , , , | Working | April 26, 2024

My workplace bought a ton of computers. If you do that, you get perhaps a 10-15% discount off the top. They also, as a perk to employees, cooperated with [Computer Company] to let employees order laptops with the same discount. This was a program [Computer Company] offered.

I bought a $3,000 [Computer Company] laptop through this program. My card was charged, the laptop arrived a week later, and all was good.

A month later, I got an email from [Computer Company] apologizing for the shipment delay and refunding the purchase. In a fit of honesty, I called the support for the employee purchase program and said:

Me: “I’m not sure what you’re talking about, but I have the laptop on my desk.”

Employee: “Well, you’re going to have to call some other caseworker…”

And blah, blah, blah.

Me: “I’m not doing that. While I was prepared to be honest, I absolutely am not going to spend a ton of time on the phone attempting to straighten out your f***-up. You have a one-time offer, for the next ten minutes, to get this straightened out.”

My free laptop was awesome.

Geez, Cashier, Who Hurt You?

, , , , , , , , | Working | April 26, 2024

I used to be the single father of a beautiful little boy. His mother, my ex, had been declared unfit to be a parent due to mental instabilities. While it was definitely healthier for both of us, there was the significant problem of not having the best salary in the world. While rent wasn’t a problem (thanks, Mom and Dad), getting dangerously close to debt at the end of the month wasn’t all too uncommon. As such, I started to heavily coupon and generally shop thriftily.

One time, I was picking groceries up. Due to an expired coupon I had forgotten to discard, the total was coming far ahead of my budgeting, and I had to point this out to the cashier. After a desperate attempt to reduce my total, I just let it go.

However, the man behind me spoke up.

Customer: “Are you willing to let me pay for your groceries? You are clearly in a rough spot.”

I was about to accept, but the cashier interrupted me.

Cashier: *To the other customer* “Go away! Stop showing off and being a [homophobic insult] obese spendthrift.”

I was taken aback and tried to insist that, yes, I wanted this man to be generous to me, but the cashier refused.

Cashier: “Don’t rely on the charity of some ball of lard!”

The man moved to another cash register, but not before flipping the bird to the cashier. I tried to follow him, but the cashier insisted that, since half my shopping had already been scanned, I had to continue being in her lane. I was honestly unsure whether to cry in rage or flip my lid at the cashier.

In the end, I told her:

Me: “Honestly, after this treatment, I don’t want anything from this store.”

I left empty-handed to go shop somewhere else instead, only to discover that all of my other options had already closed for the day.

Even now that I don’t need to pay attention to budgeting as much, being denied free groceries because of one cashier’s behavior still hurts me deep in my soul. I hope that cashier received the same treatment when in need herself.