Leader not understanding train tickets?

Its the leaders from (program( again…er ONE leader at least “B”. But in this case we’re (including the leaders) are customers.

Background: I been to three Bluejays games with the day-program. The first time we booked a school bus since it was us and some people from “sister program” The other two times we took the Go Train. The first time we took the Go Train some of us (including a couple of the leaders) got on in Town W (hometown) so there was a “ticket” for W-to Toronto and vice versa. This story is about the 2nd time we took the Go Train.

Actually story:
Now on the ride home from the game Leader B suggested that I and the peer get the ticket" from Leader R but she didn’t seem to understand that the "t
ticket wouldn’t cover from Town A to Town W since the ticket was brought in Town A.

When I told my parents later my conversation with leader B and the fact the ticket wasn’t brought in Town W… that Dad said if they ever go to a Bluejays again, that Dad will be driving me over to Town A’s Go station. Unless a leader is actually going to be at Town W.

Celoptra, you’re doing better with your writing. You’ve split it into paragraphs, and you’ve started separating background from the story. However, there is still a little way to go.

I’ve narrowed the story down to basically being the above quoted paragraph, but I’m really not sure what the story is. I suspect it is all these letter codes and abbreviations you’re using.

When you say “Town A-W”, do you mean “From Town A to Town W”, or do you mean a Town that you’ve abbreviated to “A-W”? Also, is it relevant to know that “R” is no longer a leader?

But even with all this, I really can’t make out what the story is. Please could you explain?

Thanks Stephen.

“Town A-W” meant from From A to Town W. It’s not really relevant the fact “R” is no longer the leader. Since Town A is one town, and Town W is another town (my town).

Leader R brought a round-trip ticket-but thing is because R brought the Ticket in Town A and got on in Town A-it wouldn’t cover people coming from Town W (2 people in this case me and a peer). OR going back to Town W. It could cause problems with conductor if we used a ticket that didn’t cover (Town W).

Somehow Leader B didn’t understand that because the ticket was purchased in Town A-it wouldn’t cover my peer and my return to Town W. Which could get us in trouble with the conductor had we tried to use it like B wanted us too.

do I make a bit more sense?

Thanks for sorting that out. Now, what exactly did you mean with

I know B and R were leaders, which is why I edited that out. I also know that your peer was the person you got on the train with, I just tweaked the wording.

But as under most circumstances people would get a return ticket, why would you need a ticket for the way back?

And finally, this is more a quibble: why put ticket in inverted commas? You’re actually using a writing convention that implies it’s not what you say it is. For example:

He’s lovely

Compered with

He’s “lovely”

Extremely minor issue, but it does add to the confusion

1 Like

sorry I forgot to mention the Ticket was I can’t remember the word for it… but it covers both directions? All-round (?) Round trip(?) Ticket. Which means it works in both directions not just one direction.

But it doesn’t really work does it if it’s not purchased until one Stop latter then where the friend and I got on?

Did you need a ticket? Surely you had one when you got on?

Oh, and the type of ticket you’re describing sounds like what we in the UK call a return ticket. If I were at Coventry Station and bought a Return ticket to London Euston Station, it would alow me to travel from Coventry to London Euston, and from London Euston to Coventry, but I wouldn’t be allowed to get off or on at any of the stations along the way.

Yeah a return ticket. Now the Return ticket in this story- was brought in Town A for town A-to Toronto. So it would only cover Toronto to Town A. My friend and I got on in Town W so the ticket didn’t cover us. I don’t know abut the friend, but I used a Presto card in both directions- (its works like the Oyster cards in UK for comparison).

I can’t remember the exact conversation on the train but somehow Presto card came up and B suggested I get the the Ticket from R but she (B ) couldn’t seem to understand and I guess I couldn’t communicate clearly that R’s ticket could get us in trouble with the conductor because it doesn’t cover from Town A to Town W-if the conductor showed up between the two towns and if I hadn’t used Presto card.

Using the Presto Card was my 'ticket" so to speak. But the return ticket that R had was I think a group return ticket but like I said it was brought in Town A so it wouldn’t cover me and my friend from Town W.

The next question is, when did this conversation take place?

As it before you all got your tickets? Or was it after? If itvwas after, this then becomes why the story was so confusing: if you already had valid tickets, why would you need tickets from R?

It would be like this:

“Can you believe how stupid this is? My friend told me that I should learn to ride a unicorn, but she knows I’m petrified of animals”

…whilst ignoring the fact that unicorns don’t exist. Bit of a ridiculous analogy, but it’s the only one I can think of as it is now past my bedtime.

Night night!

1 Like

We were on the Train home to our towns-for B and some people 3(?)-it was Town P. Everyone else except for the one friend and I got off in Town A. But it was somewhere before Town P that B suggested that we get the return ticket from R but not understanding that the return ticket didn’t cover the two people who would still be on the train.

The previous “Day-program” day -K (a 3rd leader) said she might be at Town W stop. But turns out there was 0 leaders at Town W stop on the Bluejays day. K, R, and a bunch of our other friends got on on Town A. So because R paid for the group return ticket it wouldn’t cover my friend and I-so like I said, I tapped the Presto card back in Town W (for the start of the journey and tapped it at the end at Toronto’s station. And I did the same thing for the train ride home.

I guess B didn’t understand why I used my Presto card when R had a group ticket. And kept suggesting before she got off that “We get the group ticket from R” And even when I did try to explain it to her-about the fact R’s group return ticket didn’t cover the distance the one friend and I had to travel because it was purchased in Town A so wouldn’t be avaible for the distance between Town A and Town W.

1 Like

Minor point: a return ticket in the UK means you must take an authorised route outbound but you can get off and get back on during the return journey, provided it’s within the same day. Exception: supersaver returns, which are usually for a specific train.

1 Like