Gift ideas

For most of us (I assume) it is closing in on the biggest gifting season of the year. Sometimes coming up with good ideas can be hard, so why don’t we share what we buy, what we think of getting and what we wish for ourselves. There might be some help from the Great Crowd Knowledge.

My fiancé’s birthday is in November. He’s slightly interested in drawing and was considering taking a drawing class.
I just ordered two books similar to “Drawing for beginners” with tips and tricks how to get started. I also got a nice soft leather “pencil case”, the kind you can roll together or open up to be a flat surface fillied with different kind of pencils and other material one might need to draw.

3 Likes

Booze! And if they don’t drink then sod them…

1 Like

OR alternatively, a mocktail book for people who don’t/shouldn’t/can’t drink!

3 Likes

A hack I learned from my mom (thanks mommy) is that if you hear them say something, then you write it down to remember for later. For example, my sister mentioned wanting either Ahsoka’s lightsabers or the dark saber from Mando. I’m finding someone now who can make her one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to get a friend a blahaj. Unfortunately, IKEA doesn’t deliver them and neither of us live close to a store. She lives closer and has a car (and I wouldn’t have to pay a lot to ship it; those things are big) but I think it would be kinda rude to have her drive over an hour to get her own gift. Plus I can’t surprise her that way, since she’ll probably buy one for herself if I don’t tell her why I’m asking her to drive out there.

For my mom, I’m knitting a hat in a very dark purple with a cat cabling pattern.

1 Like

My friends and I, for the last 5 years or so, we do stockings for Christmas. Basically we get each person one special gift that’s pricier than the others and the rest of it can be bought at the dollar store, Five Below, etc. or sometimes I make treats for my friends as part of their gifts since I love baking. It’s worked out pretty well and it’s fun watching them see what’s in their ‘stocking’.

1 Like

Its not applicable in all situation but Im a big fan of what I call “tradition gifts” meaning its the same thing every year. For instance every christmas I buy my brother in law a nice bottle of Scotch and he buys me a box of cigars. Then after Christmas dinner we go sit on the back porch, smoke cigars and drink scotch. No need to think or plan and everyones happy.

Other gifts this year:

For my wife Im having a jewler make a custom earing to match a pair my wife lost one of plus a trip to a concert

My father is getting gym equipment

No clue for my mother yet

In laws are going to cirque de sole

And my sister Im trying to get a pair of boots made for her but not sure if thats going to happen in time for Christmas or not.

2 Likes

also, books on tea and other ‘hot drinks’ for cooler months.

2 Likes

Do you know anyone near her who could pick it up? Or maybe there’s a delivery service like Instacart or DoorDash that’ll shop and take it to her?

That’s how my MIL does it! She finds cute little gifts throughout the year and makes us little stockings, with everything from cute hair ties (as I have long hair) to things like socks, or other goodies, then 1-2 “big” gifts.

1 Like

That’s such a sweet tradition for you and your BIL! I love that.

Love the handknit hat idea, it’s cute and useful. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

One year I did gifts that are consumable for my parents. My dad got steaks and coffee. My mom got scallops and a book. Last year my dad got coffee (we have a local place that roasts their own beans) and a book. My mom got a book and a custom made puzzle with photos of me and different family members at Christmas over the years.

2 Likes

My step-dad gets the biggest bag of Rockets (candy) I can afford, my mom gets yarn and puzzles, my niblings get at least one book and toys if I can afford it, and everyone else gets either sweets or grocery gift cards if they’re on hard times.

2 Likes

for Americans on here to translate Canadian “rockets” are American smarties. When your smarties come up here do to us (Canada) having a different kind of Smarties allowed called that, we had to rename smarties to rockets

Uqk8C6Si2oP20kz6Vu8BDFJ4XCEy0-tFYvKkY6ZulM8

(I had to “translate” on my recently trip what Timbits were to some Americans on the trip)

2 Likes

Your smartie rockets look like our love hearts.

3 Likes

A theme calendar for the following year is usually a good option (the pop up stalls start appearing in shopping centers late November), because if you pick the right theme you get someone something practical yet they can still appreciate.

1 Like

Nope. We have the love hearts here, too, and Rockets are much smaller—the size of an aspirin, roughly. Love hearts are about the size of a Tums, I think?

I ordered a big 2 lb bag of Rockets from the grocery store today—the prices are better near Halloween—but they were out of stock, and wanted to give me mini-chocolate bars instead,

1 Like

We also have love hearts; those are harder, larger, and kinda sour imo while rockets are more chalky.

Thanks for reminding me, I have to get stitching on my best friends present. Don’t think she peruses the forums but not saying anything just to be safe.