Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The best of our most recent stories!

We Wanted A Coffee, Not Chopped Onions!

, , , , , , , | Right | April 25, 2024

My boyfriend and I are out for dinner. It’s a special occasion for us because it’s not some place we can normally afford. We give each other “Happy First Anniversary” cards and make the most of the evening as we know it’ll be a while before we can afford a place like this again!

Boyfriend: “Can we get the check, please?” 

Waitstaff: “Actually, your bill has been paid for this evening. You’re all set!” 

Boyfriend: “Wait, what? Seriously? By whom?”

Waitstaff: “That woman over there.”

They point to an elderly woman sitting close by.

Boyfriend: *Waving her over* “Thank you so much! Would you like to join us for coffee?”

She politely declines. On our way out, we stop to talk to her for a minute and ask her why. 

Old Woman: “Oh, I was married for forty-six years. My husband passed, but today would have been our anniversary, and here you are celebrating your first on the same day we would have celebrated our fiftieth! And in the same restaurant! It was a sign. Go, be happy, and never… ever… take a moment with each other for granted!”

We’ve taken her words to heart ever since.

The Only Yanking Here Is Their Jobs Out From Under Them

, , , , , , , | Working | April 25, 2024

I work on a construction site as an admin — not one of the physical laborers but in the office. I’m also about as white as one can get before they start to glow in the dark, so most people assume I only know English. I actually speak four languages, and I’m working on a fifth.

I am sitting at my desk while our safety officer is doing a welcome orientation for some of our new employees. They are currently taking a break for the safety officer to address something else. I have just introduced myself, and they are standing near my desk conversing in Spanish, gesturing at a map on the wall as if that’s what they’re talking about.

Employee #1: “I bet she likes her hair pulled. I’d give it a good yank.”

Employee #2: “No, she’s probably boring — on her back, doing nothing.”

Employee #1: “No, girls like her are too wound up. They gotta let it out.”

I stand up, timesheets in hand.

Me: *In English* “Okay, guys, I need you to fill these out and turn them in on Friday before you leave. Any questions?”

Employee #1: “Uh… No English?”

Me: “Your entire safety orientation was in English.”

Employee #2: “Okay, okay, thank you.” *In Spanish* “Don’t be dumb.”

Me: “Any questions?”

They take the paperwork and begin gesturing at different things on the paper, but they are actually trying to guess how big my nipples are by relating them to coins.

Me: *In Spanish* “There are women on site who speak Spanish, too.”

Both employees stopped dead and turned a deep red. When the safety officer returned, I told him what had happened. He stopped the orientation and sent the two employees out immediately, informing their supervisors that they would not be working on our project.

Well, That’s A Car Of A Different Color!

, , , , , | Working | April 25, 2024

This happened in 2014. I was driving a lot for work. My current car was getting extremely old, and repairs were very costly, so I decided to purchase a new vehicle. I ended up deciding on a brand-new car.

I worked with the salesman and picked out the exact one I wanted, but the color I wanted was thirty minutes south at another branch. They wanted to put everything through and have me pick up the car the next day, so we went through all the financing, and I signed the paperwork.

The next day, I went to pick up the car. The color was right, but this was not the car I’d been told I was getting. I had purchased the more deluxe option. The car that showed up was a basic model. I was not happy.

Normally, when dealing with salesmen, I want to get it over with fast, so I often settle. Not this time. I flat-out told them this was a bait-and-switch, and they could either figure out how they were going to fix it, or I was canceling everything.

The dealership manager had to get involved. He was clearly angry that I wouldn’t just accept the car they tried to pawn off on me. He had the nerve to say:

Manager: “Now I have to sell this one as a used car since it was temporarily sold!”

I was pretty proud of myself for asking:

Me: “How is that my problem?”

Manager: “Why do you even want all those features?”

He dropped it when he saw my facial expression.

I wasn’t able to get the color I wanted, but I got the model and features I wanted, and they were able to get me insanely low-percentage financing. But seriously, how did they think that would fly?

Never A Bad Time To Cover Your Butt

, , , , , , , | Legal | April 25, 2024

This is the story I always tell when I want to emphasize that documentation is always a good thing, even if it means having to talk to a cop.

Several years ago, I was out with friends at a local, non-chain diner. We’d sat toward the back, away from the windows, because there were several of us, and we were less obtrusive that way. This was during our college years and we had a tendency to be loud by accident, and we didn’t want to be a bother, considering it was midnight. 

About halfway through our dinner, a customer from the front of the store came over to the table looking concerned and asked if anyone at the table owned one of the cars out front. She’d been at the window booth right at the front and needed to find the owner of a white car right next to her booth. Unfortunately, she described my car, and when I mentioned as much, she told me that she’d just seen someone hit my parked car and drive away. We hadn’t seen anything, due to our placement in the diner, but she’d seen the whole thing. 

Luckily, on inspection, they’d only really dented my back fender and scraped some paint. It wasn’t anything particularly note-worthy, especially since by that point my car was on its way to becoming a bit of a beater, but I was a bit angry that whoever hit my car had the audacity to just LEAVE. If they’d just come inside and said, “Hey, man, sorry I dinged your car. Here’s my information for insurance,” I wouldn’t have blinked.

So, even though I detest the police in every form, I decided to give them a ring since this was technically a hit-and-run, and I figured that if something more major popped up later because of it, I’d want some kind of proper documentation for my insurance. (I didn’t want to find out that, say, one of my tail lights had also been damaged and I simply didn’t see it since it was late at night and the parking lot was poorly lit.)

Of course, the cop who arrived seemed very disinterested, like she didn’t want to be there, even though it was clearly a very slow evening, considering she arrived fairly quickly after a non-emergency call. I gave her my ID and registration, the whole deal, and then she came back with this. 

Officer #1: “Your insurance is expired.”

I got this car before I graduated high school, so as a matter of practicality, it was bought and insured in my father’s name, and we’d agreed that it would stay there until I’d fully graduated since I was moving roughly every year and the paperwork was simpler if I wasn’t changing addresses every twelve months. My father is probably the straightest-laced man who’s ever lived — I’m not sure he’s CAPABLE of getting a parking ticket, let alone missing an insurance payment — so I knew for a fact that there was no way in h*** this was true. 

Me: “What?”

Officer #1: “Your insurance is expired.”

Me: “That can’t be the case; I just got my car, and everything should be up to date. I’m going to need to call my dad and sort this out because this has to be an error of some kind.”

(Un)surprisingly, she didn’t press at all after that. She wrote down everything else and left without a word. At the time, I was a bit pressed about having someone hit my car and leave, so I didn’t really put two and two together, but looking back, I have to wonder if she was fishing for a ticket for something she’d thought I’d admit to. But she at least did the most basic function of her job, and I got an email a few days later from the station regarding the open case, including the case number. Nothing ever came of it, as I honestly expected.  

Regardless, I tell this story not because of the event in question, but because of the ripples it caused months later. 

It was that following Saint Patrick’s Day, and being in college, my friends and I were doing as many often did — getting absolutely drunk off our a**es and watching dumb movies with a large group of friends. Our house was host to such an event because it was within safe walking distance from campus, and being a duplex, we had relative privacy, especially since some of said friends were renting the other half of the duplex.

So, color me surprised when a police officer SHOWED UP AT OUR DOOR, entirely unprompted. I put on my best attempt at being sober and answered. 

Me: “Can I help you?”

Officer #2: “The gentleman across the street is claiming you hit his vehicle.”

The officer gestured behind her to a gentleman who was raving on the sidewalk across from us. He was likely a resident of the student apartments across the street, clearly drunker than I was, and also pissed, talking to other cops. 

Officer #2: “Someone hit his parked car and left a white paint mark behind, and he says this came from your car. Have you been anywhere this evening?”

I realized, with a mix of horror and (honestly) delight, that she was talking about the scrape on my bumper from the parking lot incident at the diner. The man had apparently seen the aftermath of his car getting dinged by a white vehicle and, seeing missing paint on my car, assumed it was me. Since he hadn’t seen the car in question, and mine was RIGHT THERE, I was the obvious answer/scapegoat. The horror was that this guy was for real, considering I hadn’t moved my car in days; the delight was that I could prove it wasn’t me. 

Me: “No, and that paint scrape is actually from another incident a couple of months ago.”

I found the email on my phone and showed her. 

Me: “Here’s the case number and the detective’s name related to the paint scrape.”

She poked around on her own device for a few moments as she put in the case number, considered what she saw, and then gave me a shrug. 

Officer #2: “All right then, have a good night.”

And she left. No apology for accusing me of a crime I didn’t commit, nothing. I’m not entirely sure what she would have done, to be quite frank, because there weren’t cameras and it wasn’t like the dude could prove it, but I was always glad I had the documentation, if only to keep that meeting short, sweet, and simple. It wouldn’t have been a great night to get even briefly detained for something I hadn’t done while my friends were partying, in my own house, without me. 

In short, put it in writing.

The English Impatient, Part 2

, , , , , | Right | April 25, 2024

A customer storms in and interrupts me talking to another customer. 

Customer: “Is my order ready yet?”

Me: “Sir, I am talking to this customer and—” 

Customer: “Yes, but is it ready?”

Customer I Am Serving: “It’s okay, check on his order. He seems to be in a rush.”

Customer: *Looking at his phone* “It’s order [number].”

Me: “That order came in two minutes ago.” 

Customer: “I just sent it from the parking lot.”

Me: “That’s impossible. Even our quick print orders can take an hour. Also, the PDF you’ve emailed us to print looks quite large.” 

Customer: “It’s an English textbook.”

Me: “How much of it did you want printed? There might be some copyright issues if—”

Customer: “All of it.”

Me: *Opening the PDF* “This is a 482-page textbook. We can’t print an entire copyrighted textbook, and even if we could, we couldn’t do it in the time it takes you to send the order from the parking lot.”

Customer: “Fine, I’ll get a coffee and come back.” 

Me: “No, sir, we can’t—”

Customer: “I’ll be back in fifteen!” *Leaves* 

I am left just staring at the door as he rushes out.

Customer I Am Serving: “Maybe just print the textbook for him; sounds like he really needs it. I don’t think he understands English.” 

Related:
The English Impatient