YouTube requesting age verification

YouTube is requesting I verify my age or it won’t let me view pages that really shouldn’t be age restricted but whatever.

However the way it’s requesting is by using a credit/debit card, or a photo of id.

I’ve had a look online, and I’ve found a fair few sites that say it’s legit and secure, but none of those sites are (in my eyes) trusted.

Can anyone here confirm it’s safe, and better yet, point me towards a verifiable source?

I’m going to be honest - The moment I am asked to verify age by more than pressing a button to say I am over 18 or inputting a date of my choice is the moment I drop the platform. Creators are finding and creating alternative platforms to share content because of how restrictive YouTube is becoming. I would consider reaching out to the creators you follow and see if they’re sharing their work elsewhere.

4 Likes

I’ve had the same issue with YT. Even though it might be safe, I don’t want to give them my credit card information or ID. There’s no need for them to have that info.

5 Likes

I don’t have a credit card, and my ID is my business, not theirs.

4 Likes

In order for ID of any kind to work you need to use your real name, otherwise you might as well send them any ID. There is zero point to this policy. I’m just annoyed my accounts are basically blocked from any age restricted video. Neither uses my irl name and the emails attached to them have fake names too.

2 Likes

I think YT is starting to dig it’s own grave. The ID-thing, hidden dislikes, premium version. Can imagine a lot of people looking for alternatives

3 Likes