Who can't wait to take their masks off?

I… HATE… MASKS!

So it’s been a crazy year and some change for all of us, but one thing that really got me all hot and bothered (literally) is having to wear a mask in public including retail stores.

I totally see the reasons why we should wear them and I will absolutely continue to do so until everyone around me in my area has been vaccinated and the numbers are super low, but seriously CANNOT WAIT to take the damn things off.

Anyone else here feel the same?

Not me. Masks have so many uses beyond CV19 protection. Filtering out smoke, protecting from allergies… and reducing the spread of the common cold, flu, etc.

9 Likes

That’s true. I don’t like wearing masks but it has been pretty helpful with my allergies. :grinning:

4 Likes

I still have to wear one at work but hate it. England says not manditory but work has decided certain parts still have to wear it. Am double jabbed and have been exposed (wife got ill last month) but I was clear but still have to wear the bloody thing!

1 Like

Not me, particularly. But I also haven’t gone out that much in the past 1.5 years.

But I’ve been thinking about wearing a mask outdoors for a while before March 2020, although it took Sars-CoV-2 to get my behind into gear and start doing it. I’m flirting with the idea of continuing to do so even after (when?) this thing is over.

3 Likes

Yeah, double-jabbed here also. I am all for wearing them for as long as not doing so would cause a risk to vulnerable groups, so I am continuing to do so, but I want to normalize the idea that it’s possible to both wear them to be part of the solution, but still hate the damn things :mask:

2 Likes

Sure it’s more comfortable with them off. But I’m for normalizing the idea too.

Also probably a culture thing too. In Japan, for example, it’s much normal to wear a mask when you’re sick to protect others. And just general use overall.
Honestly we’d be in a better place if people had a similar attitude, but you know 'Murica freedom and all that S*#@ lol.

4 Likes

Forums!!!

On topic, I’ve been wearing mine a lot, too, because of the smoke from the Cali fires. But I also find it really hard to breathe, and I’ll be happy to have it off, too.

3 Likes

I live in Japan where masks have always been common, so I don’t think that will change and I’m happy with it. Nobody likes wearing them every single day but they are nice and warm in the winter, they help with allergies (I always wear one when cleaning my house), and they keep your face moist in dry airplanes and winter nights.

But it’s 36 degrees out now so I do rip it off as soon as I get home!

2 Likes

I used to work as a nurse and was “used” to masks before the pandemic.

Sure, it’s more comfortable without, but it’s not really a big hassle for me either. Haven’t had a cold since this all started :sweat_smile:

I’m actually more worried that this half-assed disinfection will cause multiresistant bacteria. No one is disinfecting their hands properly, and I just saw a waiter the other day, who was very sloppy while disinfecting the tables and chairs.

3 Likes

I’m inclined to agree about normalizing the idea that it’s okay to not find the masks comfortable as long as you still recognize their value and use them. Part of living in a society is that sometimes, we have to do things that aren’t ideal for us personally for the collective good.

I notice that some people have gotten frustrated with anti-maskers to the point where they act like every reason a person might have to not like to wear masks is akin to contributing to the problem. That’s not okay. A person isn’t a “baby” or “stupid” just because they find the things uncomfortable. They only get into that territory when they start insisting that mask requirements are literally Holocaust-tier oppression or that COVID isn’t real.

4 Likes

I think if you’re in that part of Cali right now most people are finding it difficult to breathe not because of the masks but because THE ATMOSPHERE IS FIRE!

Stay safe!

2 Likes

Oh, I’m not. It’s drifted all the way to Colorado. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nope. I love em. No one can see my facial expressions, I don’t smell half as much fragrances as I used to have to deal with, it’s a nice pressure stim. I’m dreading the day I’m not allowed to wear one at work anymore.

5 Likes

I don’t think not liking wearing masks makes someone an anti-masker… I doubt most people like wearing them (Even if we do like the effects). Refusing to wear a mask however, does and it is quite bad. Especially in areas of the world where CV19 isn’t even under control.

5 Likes

Would the bosses be able to force you to not wear a mask once all this “craziness” is over?

I think so. Obviously they can’t remove it by force (That’s assault), but they can treat it as non-compliance of uniform code.

Personally, I can understand why they wouldn’t want staff wearing masks, but I think anyone that does do this is a jerk because masks do have a lot of benefits, especially in flu season.

1 Like

Asia have been wearing masks as standard for years - maybe they’re really on to something over there!

2 Likes

I think that, since many places where uniform does matter have figured a mask solution that works with the said uniform by now, they could continue treating it as voluntary part of uniform. I’d welcome it being allowed for people to use it if they want to without stigma, even when them being mandatory goes away.

2 Likes

Oh, of course, but I was referring to people who get frustrated with anti-maskers’ excuses, but in the process of trying to shut those excuses down, end up conflating not liking masks with not trusting them.