Which do you prefer and where do you live?

Icky info incoming, please consider this line as a warning. I’ve tried to clean the language, but the information is… icky. I’ve used spoilers, so click on the paragraph to reveal it. I’ll call the process ‘wet cleaning’, as compared to TP, which would be dry cleaning.

Processes differ from country to country, region to region, culture to culture. Using bidets is a relatively new phenomenon, for centuries prior the general process was that you’d just splash a mug of water between your legs, clean off the stuck goo with your hands (I’ll come to some other hand-related traditions a bit later), splash more water across your hands and arse, and then wash your hands thoroughly after. Using your hands and water you’d be able to locate and clean off all the poop spackle anywhere around the anus, on your inner thighs, etc. Once done, wash hands with the remaining water, and pull up your pants. After leaving the toilet, wash hands thoroughly in the washbasin with soap and water.

Using a bidet just controls the flow of water a lot more than splashing a mug would. The one in the picture is basically a shower head with a small area of flow, allowing you to direct the water much better. Depending on your ickiness, you’d then use your hands to clean or not. It’s the most simple bidet available. There are modern toilets that have much more advanced bidets that include air driers for your arse too.

In re the specific question regarding getting pants wet: The gist of all these processes, though, is that in all these processes, the effectively wet area is a small zone around the anus that will later be covered by underwear and/or the inner thighs, which ensures that nothing wet will be visible anyways. It’s a small area and the amount of water remaining is low enough that the skin feels like after a sweaty workout, nothing more.

I was potty-trained during the pre-bidet area, so it used to be a mug of water and my left hand. Nowadays, not wet cleaning leaves an icky sensation in the mind, so if I’m not in-country and somewhere where they don’t have bidets, I carry a mug or bottle of water into the toilet to carry out the cleaning process. If it’s a hotel, I leave a bottle of water in the toilet with instructions not to touch it, and after I’ve finished with the bottle, I throw it away.

The ‘poop towel’, though - this is the first time I’m hearing about it. I’ve never seen it being used in Indian toilets, we were never taught about that when being potty-trained, I have no clue how that even made it to that explanation. Might be in that specific culture, as wet cleaning is active in many cultures across South Asia to the Middle East and parts of Arabia too. Also, in the culture I’m used to, there’s no soap involved except when washing your hands after.

Now, I understand that this next one may be a controversial paragraph. People who’ve used both wet cleaning and dry cleaning, especially those potty-trained on dry cleaning, say they end up preferring wet cleaning once they get used to it. It’s cleaner and better, they say. I cannot comment on the efficacy of dry cleaning, I have never used it, have been mentally trained to go for wet cleaning all my life and will end up feeling icky were I not to get my arse wet cleaned after a dump.

Back to your hands. Now, unlike dry cleaning, you cannot avoid getting your hands dirty. So hand hygiene, washing them effectively with soap - that’s quite common. But that’s not it. Pooping is a phenomenon as regular as eating and it’s obvious that traditions will form around it. Many of you would have met people who eat only with the right hand, they go to extreme lengths to avoid touching food itself with their left hands. This tradition comes from their pooping processes.

As explained above, you can’t avoid touching poop with your hand when wet cleaning. No matter how much you wash your hands after, there could be some germs, minuscule stuff that could be left behind. Putting that into your mouth and hence into your body could be a major boo-boo healthwise. So repetitive processes formed around these activities: eat with your right hand only, clean with your left hand only. Thus avoiding getting dirty stuff, no matter how tiny, back into your body. Over time, as the scientific reason was lost, this grew into the superstitious belief that your left hand was unrighteous and eating with it will harm you. Thus you touch food only with your right hand.

That belief has now grown a lot more universal: people will accept things with the right hand only, they will give gifts, payments, items with the right hand only. If you’re a southpaw who writes with your left hand, schoolteachers and parents will try to get you to actively switch to writing with your right hand in school.

There’s also the aspect of pooping while seated v. pooping while squatting. But I guess this essay has gone on long enough, we can talk about it if interested at a later time.

ETA: There’s an episode of BBC’s ‘Inside the Factory’, where they show how TP is manufactured. In that, there’s a segment on wet cleaning as well, so if you want some more visible information try to see if you can watch that episode.

1 Like

I’m in America too and B is how I like to hang my toilet paper as well. If somebody else were to hang toilet paper in my bathroom as in A, I’ll take it and turn the roll around so it’s like B!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.