Where's your go to place for peace?

There are times when things can get a bit much, so having somewhere to retreat to, where you can gather your thoughts and relax can be very helpful. Where do you like to go to? Is it somewhere in the house, under a favourite tree, or a nearby park?

Me , it’s the canals. I’m fortunate enough to live reasonably close to Coventry Canal, and will try and walk a bit of it a few times a week. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I’m walking to Bedworth along the canal. Today though, I’m in Birmingham, standing on the Fazeley canal as I make my way to a piano shop to really lose myself lol!

It’s amazing how calm it is here where I’m only a short distance from some of the busiest roads in the country!

5 Likes

I don’t have one specific spot - but I seek out nature, either parks, forests or the ocean

5 Likes

Since I got my own appartment I’ve felt a lot less need to retreat, but my favourite places tend to be little hidden nooks of parks or nature where not a lot of people pass by.

My most recent one was a small jetty along a small creek, just off a new path in a park that lies between city cores. (I think this was it: Google Maps

I even went there at night a couple times, which was relaxing, though there were a lot of mosquitos. Usually I just sit or lie down, read, listen to the birds, watch the ducks and swans, do a lot of thinking, and explore the park a bit when I get restless.

To me the most important part is the absence of other people. They’re my primary source of stress. Which I’m sure a psychologist could have a field day with :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In normal times- if I had another of a certian “lunch cycle” with Dad. (Don’t ask). I got so ticked off I started heading over to “The mall” to eat lunch there away from Dad and his “lunch cycle”.

1 Like

I need coffee, how did you successfully post those great pictures?

1 Like

I’m going to post a screen grab of this. Do you see the stylised picture of a mountain range?

Move your text cursor to where you want the image to go, then click that icon. You should now be able to choose an image or several. Select the ones you want then select done/okay/whatever your device says.

If you’re on a desktop device, I believe you can drag and drop images too with a mouse.

4 Likes

as an introvert, anywhere that i can be alone and unbothered by other people helps. that used to be my house, but my house has far too many people in it right now to bring me any sort of peace. staying home actually causes me chronic stress right now so my husband and i have actually started spending some nights in a hotel to get away from people. so my current go to is a nice hotel room somewhere in town.

3 Likes

I live in the inner city of Canberra, so there are always the noises of the city, traffic, people, although the city is fairly quiet compared to many others, particularly as we are now in lock-down.
Canberra is known as the ‘bush capital’, so there are lots of small parks and open spaces, with lots and lots of trees and birds.
Next to the complex where I live there is a large playing field that stretches for miles (sorry, kilometres just doesn’t sound right). Although I have difficulty walking far, I use it as much as I can. It is a great, green space in the city where I can always find a breath of fresh air and some peace and quiet. It’s like a bit of countryside in the city.

Note to Stephen:
I like the idea of walking along canals. I find them fascinating, their history and the people who used and use them. I also liked your mention of Birmingham. I was born there, and although I was young when we left, I still have memories. One of them is the hump-backed bridge over a canal that we crossed when going to visit grandad.
Oh, and thanks for the picture! Great!
Raven

3 Likes

Someone in my neighborhood made a beautiful spot full of real and fake flowers to bring peace to people as we all feel isolated and depressed in the pandemic. The sign is written from the perspective of the flowers and says something like “in order to bring peace/calm to all of you, we are doing our best to bloom with all our might. So come look at us any time and pray for smiles, your happiness, everyone’s happiness~~hang in there”

Sorry I’m a terrible translator but I really appreciate whoever did this. I live in the middle of urban sprawl so I never get to see greenery. A few months ago I got to go out and hear trees rustling against each other and it was the most beautiful sound and soothed my animal soul

3 Likes

I’m currently walking along Coventry Canal. To the left of me is a metal breakers yard, and just ahead, if you look through the overhanging trees, you might just make out a bridge.

That’s the M6, near junction 3. Yes, there is some background noise, but it is still extremely peaceful and feels like I’m in the countryside.

How do the trees stop all that noise? It’s baffling!

I’m now at Hawkesbury Junction. On the left is the Coventry Canal, and on the right is the Oxford Canal, and I’m on the bridge where the two meet. The lock has a drop of 6 inches, making it one of the smallest drops in the country. Apparently James Brindley made a small miscalculation when he tried to connect the two canals together.

It isn’t quite as peaceful as usual, given that there is someone behind me with a chainsaw trimming branches. Ah well…

Almost at Bedworth now. Here’s a couple of pics of the stretch between Hawksbury Junction and the bridge I’m getting off at.

I cannot begin to describe how peaceful it is. There is a faint thrum of narrow boats in the distance, and the wind in the trees, but that’s really it.

7 Likes

Anywhere on my bike. It’s a 40-min vacation. Longer, if I’m lucky.

4 Likes

One of the things I love with Madeira is the variety of nature. I love, love, love walking along the levadas and just…relax my brain. It’s not recommended to walk alone, so I’m usually with a group - but I can still shut them out mentally.

The smell is fantastic, a mixture of flowers, fruit, water and eucalyptus. This walk leads to the waterfall I posted earlier. I wish I could do more walks. It soothes my soul

6 Likes

A good book or a movie. I put my headphones on and go into another world.

2 Likes

You live on Madeira? I’m jealous!
I was there on an biology (species identification and ecology IIRC) trip for University.
I love the huge variation in climates and ecosystems you have on Madeira, you have almost everything!

Also, the best bread I have ever tasted.

1 Like

Well, yes and no! I live on a sailing boat, and due to covid and repairs we got stuck/choose to stay on Madeira. It’s been a year now :sweat_smile:

The diversity is really unbelievable, you’ve got the ocean, mountains, forests and still a bigger city. I love it here. We even had snow in the winter

2 Likes

Usually just chill in my bedroom with music on, or I go for a wander in a big warehouse store and just be for a while looking at random crap I neither want or need.

1 Like

I love the beach but I’m about 6 hours away from it so only get to go a few times a year. So we call it Salt Water Therapy, and my fiance / kids know after several months they’ll be like “Honey need salt water therapy?” Yessss. Out side of that, I retreat to my room and binge watch a show, or cuddle with Wendy my blue and gold. She is very receptive to my stress level and almost always will do something to make me laugh. Unless of course she is my reason for stress like yesterday. lol.

1 Like

This is gorgeous wow.

1 Like

You live on a sailing boat? Now I’m even more jealous!
I’m going sailing again next month, for the first time in years. Just a daytrip on the lake though.

Sailing as a living is a dream of mine, but financially tough to do. How do you make your money?

1 Like

I retreat into Netflix and just hang out with Picard and crew on the USS Enterprise.

If I have Star Trek on in the background when I am coming up with titles for NAR stories you might find sometimes Trek references sneak in… either that or I just steal whole Star Trek episode titles wholesale…

4 Likes