What's your favorite type(s) of cheese?

In honor of this roundup below, what are your favorites? I love Muenster and mozzarella but I’ll take provolone for a reasonable sub if mozzarella isn’t available especially for a cheesesteak.

1 Like

Red Leicester. It’s a good hard cheese and a quality name for a pirate.

8 Likes

For hard cheese, a mature cheddar? For a soft cheese, brie. For a cheese spread, Philadelphia.

3 Likes

Yum on the Philadelphia cream cheese. Love it too.

2 Likes

Don’t think I have ever had that.

2 Likes

It is rather nice. Quite mild, but still tasty

3 Likes

Makes a lovely cheesecake. Check out the recipe thread.

2 Likes

Brie on toasted bread is just… 10/10
I’m also a sucker for just a REAL sharp cheddar.

4 Likes

Of cheeses that are easily found in supermarkets - St Agur, feta, a nice ripe brie.

Of cheeses that are not easily found in supermarkets - I don’t remember the names, I try not to get too attached :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://www.cheese.com/red-leicester/

Usually mild cheddar, sometimes red Leicester. Brie is nice, but I rarely get the opportunity to have any.

Bellavitano Espresso, followed very closely by Bellavitano Gold (Gold is the basic variant.) There are other varieties, including ones crusted with black pepper and ones soaked in whiskey, merlot, chardonnay or raspberry ale.

It’s aged for 10 - 12 months, causing the lactose to crystalize; it’s also a vegetarian cheese. It’s not cheap though–a single wedge will set you back anywhere from 6 - 8 dollars depending on where you get it. Don’t ask about the whole wheel…

Outside of this, I’m a fan of other aged cheeses, such as Kerrygold Cheddar (which is slightly cheaper than Bellavitano and only aged 3 - 6 months) and Dubliner (also cheaper, but aged about a year).

1 Like

I will devour an entire wheel of brie in a day. I can’t let myself buy it for that reason.

1 Like

Challerhocker. It’s tough to find around here, though, so I generally go with sharp cheddars – more aging is better – or Gruyère.

2 Likes

My husband loves Canadian Old Fort cheese— which actually a bit of a joke. What other countries call “sharp cheddar” is called “old cheddar” in Canada. Because of bilingual labelling, you will often see packages labelled Old / Fort Cheddar, which makes you think of the fur forts of Canadian history. So we make jokes about our Old Fort Cheese, which would be sharp cheddar anywhere else.

As for myself, I like blue / bleu cheeses, and the occasional piece of super-sweet Gjetost.

Don’t think I have a favourite as such. If we need cheese, we tend to alternate between Red Leicester and mature Cheddar.

We usually have some mozzarella in as well for pan con tomate.

1 Like

Brie as a burger topping with jalapenos and egg works very, very well.

1 Like

I am now being reminded that I live just an hour away from Cheddar Gorge and really should get some of their cave-aged…

1 Like

That sounds like a magical place where dreams are made.

2 Likes

How do you feel about the concept of goats’ milk cheddar, aged in the caves where Britain’s oldest human remains were found?

(Because I feel pretty positive :))

1 Like