What's your favorite anime and why?

There are so many great anime out there, and it’s hard to pick a favorite, but in terms of genre, Tokyo Ghoul, My Hero Academia, and Haikyu!! stand out because of their characters and storylines.

3 Likes

I’ve only recently started watching anime based on a few shows friends have recommended. Thus far I’ve watched One Punch Man, Tokyo Ghoul, Full Metal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, The Seven Deadly Sins, Baki and Devilman Crybaby.

One Punch Man has been my favourite so far, Saitama is brilliantly written despite being so insanely OP that it should be difficult to relate to him. I just wish Netflix UK had season 2. Devilman Crybaby has been the weirdest so far by a substantial margin.

3 Likes

Full Metal Alchemist is SO good. doesn’t pull any punches.

3 Likes

Does The Last Unicorn count? Otherwise I’m not really into anime.

definitely a great cartoon, but as you say - not an anime.

I have several favorites:

Space Pirate Captain Harlock (1978) and Galaxy Express 999: Early science fiction, Harlock is the progenitor of every outlaw and space maverick in anime, while the animation is stiff, the characters are very expressive, with some gorgeous music. The themes of humanity, individuality, and pride explored in the Leiji-verse still holds up today.

FMA: Brotherhood: This one is almost a given, a good mix of comedy, drama and action with a consistent plotline, every character (except for this version of Kimblee) are multidimensional and have understandable reasons for acting the way they do, bonus is being of the few series where you see the protagonists actually age and grow over time in a realistically subtle way. But watch Sub - Romi Park knocks the emotions out of the park (Vic is not only one-note but a known creep so don’t support the dub)

Cowboy Bebop: Where to begin? Fantastic music, great, fluid animation, episodes ranging all genres, great dub and sub. I do feel Ed is underused past her introductory episode, but every character feels unique, and the right mix of disastrous dumbasses and broken people that care in their own way.

And those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

1 Like

yesss, cowboy bebop. essential viewing and a classic.

The original Devilman was by Go Nagai who does a lot of over the top stuff. His other works includes Mazinger Z (A Super-robot series with some really wild villains) and there’s older versions of Devilman to check out if you decide you like Crybaby.

Base on liking OPM, I think you might like Mob Psycho 100 which has some unique and drop-dead amazing animation, which about a middle school student with powerful psychic abilities trying to be normal.

Bunny and Tiger is another good superhero themed series, even if sadly the Netflix version end up removing some of the humor due to the heroes having Nascar-like sponsors.

3 Likes

Not sure if it counts but I prefered dragon ball Z abridged to the actual series if Im being honest.

Like of all time or at this moment? My favorite anime changes every month. My Hero Academia is good. Cowboy Bebop and Trigun may be my all time favorites.

can be ‘of all time’ or ‘at the moment.’ also, did you see there’s a new trigun being released next year? the preview looked interesting.

totally valid, there’s a lot that can be done with different formats.

I’m rather fond of Baccano. It’s absolute chaos during the first time you watch it. Then on a rewatch it is still chaos but you can see all of the pieces that you missed.

I also like Assassination Classroom, which has an absolutely ridiculous premise that just seems to get more bizarre (and better) with each episode.

Special shout out to Fairy Tail for getting me into anime in the first place. Though long gone are the days that I could name every single character. I know it has its flaws. I don’t care, I still like it. It’s silly and lighthearted, except when it isn’t. That actually describes most of my favourites I think.

For the record seconding (fourthing?) FMAB, though that one’s so good it almost goes without saying.

1 Like

assassination classroom is definitely a unique concept and yes, it gets progressively wilder with each episode.

never watched anime but I might have seen Sailor moon when I was a child due to my sister watching it occasionally. Since I sometimes have images of Sailor Moon at least changing into the Sailor moon costume? (and it doesn’t hurt the fact my sister still has Sailor Moon picture on her door-I think everything on her door is from her teenage years)

1 Like