What's the weirdest gaming experience you've ever had?

This could be anything from a bizarre rage quit to funky platform or game errors - to the reason you don’t play card games with some family members.

When Street Fighter 4 was released on consoles it was initially possible for player characters to continue to smack a defeated opponent around a little bit before the next bout started. They removed that function, I can’t remember when exactly but it was either in an update or when Super Street Fighter 4 was launched, so that once the match was over you couldn’t move your character.

Except I managed it once. The KO was declared in my favour, the victory screen came up and then glitches so that Ken could complete an Ultra combo on an already defeated foe.

I could almost hear that kid from the Simpsons crying “Stop, he’s already dead.”

1 Like

My sister used to be the worst sore loser. At one point she got her butt kicked at the board game Sorry, and she threw a MASSIVE fit. To the point that she was sobbing and my parents ended up making us take a break, made some popcorn for her then played a different game that she was “better at”. She was also like… 5 or 6 and my dad is a rather brutal player (he knocks the pieces halfway across the room) but it’s still probably the most dramatic thing I’ve ever seen someone do in person.

1 Like

My sister was like that. She would only play games like hide and seek with my cousins and I if she could be exempt from being it. If we refused to give her special dispensation then she would run and tell the parents that we weren’t letting her play and they would give us a row because she was the youngest (by less than 2 years).

Oh my gosh, that sounds familiar. What is it with the youngest that they always do that?!

A few months back I had a really strange occurance. I play wow, and at the time I was idling in a safe area. No mobs about to attack me. I’m there talking to my friend on discord and mid conversation my character dies. Just dun fell over. Then the friend I was chatting with also had the same thing happen.

Far as we could figure, random a$$ glitch.

2 Likes

Not the weirdest, but…

A glitch I encountered on RE4’s Game Cube version had a plagas spawn right at the beginning of the game, in broad daylight.

This is an enemy that is explicitly weak to sunlight and only starts appearing randomly when an enemy’s head explodes when night hits (about an hour or two into the game).

Best we could determine was it was a combination of a [probably] scratched disc and the console overheating (it was a previously poorly maintained second-hand console–we naturally attacked it with canned air for 15 minutes straight after this). It only ever happened that one time, which just made it more confusing.

Absolute weirdest game experience was Silent Hill 3 giving my mom nightmares. From clear across an entire 900+ square foot apartment. With the door closed and volume down a bit. And when she told me the nightmares (which caused her to wake up screaming) they managed to fit very well with the portion of the game I was playing… a game that, by the way, I was playing for the first time, and that she’d never seen before. (gotta hand it to Akira Yamaoka, the man does sound design too well)

1 Like

many many many moons ago I was playing wow, and I was playing with a newly minted character, think Level 2-5 or something. I was walking around doing a mission when I suddenly randomly got teleported smack in the middle of a high level area; I lasted about 2 seconds, and no matter what I tried I always ended up back in that area.
I abandoned that character and moved on because I just couldn’t get away from the area and playing a game where you die every 2 seconds just wasn’t that interesting

1 Like

my husband could play monopoly when he was quite young and could count his own change and everything, but he was apparently also a sore loser and would throw a tantrum and flip the board if he lost. from all the stories he’s told me, he must have been one odd toddler to raise lol.

1 Like

In your husband’s defense, that game was supposedly deliberately designed to be infuriating–the idea was apparently to turn families playing it against each other to teach the moral lesson that “monopolies are evil.”

The individual who created it (a woman, can’t recall her name) would be shocked that people have fun playing it. It wasn’t supposed to be enjoyed at all.

also in his defense, toddlers rarely like it when things don’t go their way. lol

2 Likes

my sister could play board games on her own without anyone else present; and then get into fights with herself because she was cheating.
Apparently she could really compartimentilize the different ‘players’ so when she was player 1 she didn’t know the strategy/cards player 2 had and vice versa…

3 Likes

my husband once somehow managed to insult himself. he wondered to himself why he had to slow his own thoughts down, since their his own thoughts and all. and the reply in his head was ‘because I have to slow them down so you can understand them’. so he basically called himself too stupid to understand his own thoughts.

3 Likes