What's the TV show?

Following the success of @Jarvis in identifying the song in this thread What's that song? I’m hoping that the same will happen here. I’m trying to remember the name of this short-lived US live action TV series from the 80s.

It’s about a family who get transported to a parallel world following a visit to ancient ruins (Egyptian?) which coincides with (I think) some planetary/star alignment.

Whilst on this new world they are constantly on the rin from this senior secret police-type figure. In one episode they become rock stars. In another episode, their son is forced to go through police training, part of which involves doing press-ups over an electrified plate (woe betide the person who flops down!). Failure to complete the course ends in being sent to the mines.

Does this ring any bells?

I think I’ve found it again. A simple query with a few keywords on Google drove me to Otherworld. Its Wikipedia article meets everything you remember (the ruins are the Great Pyramid of Giza).

At the bottom of the article, a list of episodes includes a summary of them and the ones you remember seem to be #2 (police training) and #4 (rock stars). Here is a link to the first episode on Youtube, if you really want to be sure. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s the one! You’re on a roll…

1 Like

We should officially name Jarvis “finder of obscure media from the '80s” :smiley: .

4 Likes

To be fair, Stephen gave lots of details each time so that wasn’t that hard to me. I can’t wait for the next quest! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not Stephen but let’s see if we can turn this into a fun little game…

Country bumpkin goes Cali cop before returning to his original show.

2 Likes

Nancy Kulp did Beverly Hillbillies before doing CHiPs and then doing Return of the Beverly Hillbillies.

But Nancy doesn’t fit the word “his”, as far as I know…

The original show was on the other side of the states. Unfortunately, this show didn’t get a DVD release.

That’s Enos, originally from Dukes of Hazzard.

1 Like

Good work @Trealla! Fancy making a new TV show clue?

How about:

Mystical world leader disappears for decades before being found and restored to power by a group of children.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

That’s not it.

The Sparticle Mystery ?

I really want to say Umbrella Academy but I know that’s not it :frowning:

Prince Caspian

Not Sparticle Mystery or Umbrella Academy or Prince Caspian.

Additional Hint: One of the major adversaries in the beginning becomes an ally by the end.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is correct!