What's the most "extra" thing you've ever done for your pet?

A lot of people treat their pets like family, or even like their children. I know I do! While our cat certainly doesn’t want for anything, it seems that our dog is even more spoiled. My partner was unsatisfied with the quality of dog houses available when we got our border collie as a puppy, so he bought wood and built him one! It even had vents and insulation ! (We lived in a pretty cold, windy climate at the time.)

Unfortunately, Doghouse I met its doom when we moved back to our hometown a few years ago. Or at least, we think it did. It was in the back of my partner’s truck when we left (in separate vehicles - I was in front) and wasn’t there anymore when we stopped for food a couple of hours later! The best we can figure is that it jumped out of the bed of the truck, as it wasn’t secured; it was heavy as s*** and pinned in by our other junk that we figured it didn’t need to be! Very fortunately, the roads at the time were pretty empty, so as far as we know, it didn’t cause any accidents or anything. :grimacing: So when we got settled into our new home, my partner built a new doghouse.

But I digress. What I want to know is: what’s the most over-the-top, “extra” thing you’ve ever done for your pet? Something that makes other people raise an eyebrow at you and go, “It’s just a [dog/cat/chinchilla/whatever].”?

5 Likes

I don’t have any pets, but I will be absolutely fascinated to see what others do!

2 Likes

My much loved dog sadly passed some years ago, but he used to have an insulated doghouse - it was lined with polystyrene foam and had a carpet offcut on the floor.
He also discovered the vinyl beanbags (Remember those?), as a pup when my cousin picked him up and put him on one as a joke. - After that they belonged to the dog! Lol! He’d dig in and there would be just this surprisingly small furry ball smack in the middle of one.
He was half labrador, so not a tiny dog, but he nearly got sat on several times because he dug in so far and his coat was a near match for the bean bag. :sweat_smile:
I miss him!

5 Likes

Does buying beer so the cat can have the box they came in count? :rofl::thinking:

13 Likes

That’s adorable.

3 Likes

When my mil makes us chicken she cooks two pieces without sauce on them and puts them in bowls for the cats. They also get gifts at Christmas.

I buy gifts for my friend’s pet bird as part of her stocking stuffer gifts at Christmas.

5 Likes

I’m sorry for the loss of your furry friend! We’ve given up on a bed for our dog. He’s a border collie and an easily bored-er collie, so every comfy bed we’ve given him has been destroyed within a month!

4 Likes

My dad regularly buys rotisserie chickens from our local grocery store basically for it to just be split into treats for our dog :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I don’t know if this is extra, but my cat(s) I decided to buy a lead, so they could get some fresh air. I believe everyone needs fresh air.

(S is in brackets because only 1 of 3 cats lives)

Leftover can vegetables are given to the dog.

My mom has made porridge for the dog.

4 Likes

Ours used to love porridge. Any kind of cereal really. Bread, pasta - he adored pasta - or even breakfast cereal.

4 Likes

Gifts for the pet(s) sounds perfectly reasonable to me. They’re a part of the family, so why would you buy gifts for everyone else but not them?

5 Likes

We buy a gift for both the cat and dog every Christmas.

5 Likes

I bought a lead for my cat, but we haven’t made it outside yet. As soon as I put the harness on him, he acts like he can’t walk. And I know he can, because once I had him wearing it and someone knocked on our front door and he booked it. (He’s not very social.)

4 Likes

Be patient, your cat will learn! Leo walked as if drunk and was really clumsy to begin with, now he doesn’t even notice anymore

6 Likes

Aww, what a beautiful kitty! I sure hope I can get Kif comfortable with the harness. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We give our cats a few pieces of turkey whenever we cook one (almost always Thanksgiving and Christmas only, due to our reliance on food pantries). We generally don’t season or marinate our turkey outside salt, pepper and butter, and we avoid giving them the skin, so it’s actually a fairly healthy treat for them. Unfortunately, this has made Avery a poultry addict, although he’s mellowed out a bit now. (Feeding them Wysong Epigen Chicken helps, due to its high animal protein content.)

4 Likes

Late to the party, but the system keeps suggesting this topic for me.

An old friend used to cook his cat an egg every morning for breakfast. This inevitably led to the cat trying to get him up earlier and earlier, which eventually resulted in egg time being moved to afternoon.

Our last cat had heart failure under dental anesthesia and came out of it blind and slightly brain damaged. We made different-textured runners to put at the top and bottom of each section of stairs (we have a split-level home) so even if she got confused about where she was, she’d always know when the levels were about to change. She lived another five good years until she developed cancer; we took her out of state for radiation treatments (the closest available), but sadly those didn’t save her.

4 Likes