What We Learned Today

Well my family and I learned two things about Sir John Franklin (yes the one whom got lost in the doomed Artic exploration) First thing is he was the nephew of Benjamin Franklin. And he’s the one whom got lost in the artic. I was reading in my History magainze about the exiles of Upper &Lower Canada Rebellion whom were sent to Australia and in what is now Tsamina (?) today (Vie Dielman’s land at the time) John Franklin was the Lt-Governor of that part of Australia

2 Likes

Today i learned that numbers like 1961, 69 and 818 are “Strobogrammatic numbers”. That is, these numbers keep their values when you turn them upside down.

8 Likes

Nooooo don’t start that argument again :rofl:

8 Likes

I learned today that @Stephen can sometimes be a bit of an a$$hole :innocent:

6 Likes

Franklin was a real jerk. Before he led the final fatal expedition with the Erebus and Terror, he led a land-based expedition and 11 of his 22 men died, mostly through starvation.

1 Like

But it still interesting to learn that Sir John Franklin is related to American Benjamim Franklin?

1 Like

For sure! I would never have guessed that!

1 Like

and I was also reading about the Uganda-Asians being expelled from Uganda in 1970s and Canada bringing them to Canada. I need to get back to reading those history maginzes since they’re quiet interesting. a previous edition was talking about the Irish Potato famine but I can read that one next.

1 Like

A fair few came to the UK as well. I found out a few days ago that quite a lot ended up in Leicester because there was an advert taken out saying not to go there!

It’s mentioned in this article.

1 Like

Yes, in hindsight I think a few of my classmates in the mid-70s must have come from Uganda.

Our previous mayor’s family left Uganda just a few years before Amin expelled the other folks of East Indian descent.

1 Like

That hot Nutella and ice cream on toasted baguette is a surprisingly amazing desert.

1 Like

Yeah when I was talking about Uganda-Asians to Dad he mentioned that he tutored and was friends with a young woman whom was an Uganda East Asians (compared to some of the other Uganda-Asians whom were Uganda South Asians) in his hometown.

TIL that the hairs on ears of corn each hair equals one kernel.

1 Like

For some reason, I think I also learned this recently. Today I learned that my parents are finally feeling better (they got Covid) and my mother sounded normal on the phone.

2 Likes