What’s something that everyone loves but is actually bad for you?

It’s “umami” or whatever, right?
It sounds nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guilty pleasure television like soap operas, reality shows and the really cheesy shows you can’t believe weren’t cancelled years ago. We all know, hopefully we all know, that they’re scripted for maximum melodrama yet that’s what makes them so compelling especially when it means people fighting with each other (good lord the dating shows can be bad for downplaying or even glorifying bad relationship behaviours).

1 Like

Also the shows that a friend used to call ‘Car Crash Television’ - You know you really shouldn’t be watching but you just can’t look away!
Things like Jerry Springer. Ummm…

1 Like

Basically most if not all talk shows because they rely on the guests lacking self-awareness to generate viewing figures. People acted surprised when a guest on Jeremy Kyle reacted badly to skeletons from his closet being pulled out into the harsh glare of studio lights, but the show’s been infamous for that kind of thing its whole run.

2 Likes

@PotatoPercy As someone with experience describing Brown Sauce to someone in the States, think A1 with the consistency of ketchup.

2 Likes

Oh okay. Interesting. Guess I’ll have to fly over there again and try it out! What a “hardship” for me.

3 Likes

Want some company? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The more the merrier! I don’t mind playing host at a fry-up!

3 Likes

Party at CJR’s!!!

4 Likes

Three cheers! HP HP, Hooray!

Decided on that pun, because “You the Daddies” was just… wrong

3 Likes

I dislike the food being put on this list.

Guys, that stuff isn’t “bad for you” - it’s just things you need to eat in moderation.

1 Like

What’s bad for you in ANY amount but enjoyable then?

It’s kind of a given that moderation is needed…

2 Likes

YUM!!
*Starts saving for her plane ticket *

3 Likes

Trans fats make cookies and crackers yummy and extend their shelf life, but are a real health hazard. Saturated fats are healthy by comparison, and just as yummy.

1 Like

The dangers of saturated fats are also a bit overstated. The initial study that “proved” most of their problems happened to be investigating why a lot of people were having heart attacks at the time; that time period also had just about everyone smoking, but that was ignored for the study. A similar study linked red meat to heart disease, but conveniently didn’t differentiate from, say, a nice grilled T-bone and a heavily processed monstrosity like a Slim Jim.

And don’t forget that people took “saturated fats” as being bad, shaved off the saturated part, and started thinking fats as a whole are bad. (Unsaturated fats and some fatty acids like Omega 3 are actually outright healthy. But it needs to be balanced out.)

Saturated fats do cause problems (it’s not 100%, but a diet high in them may increase your LDL, and they’re definitely not as healthy as unsaturated fats which outright reduce heart disease risks). Trans fats, however, are the devil in food form. And as with anything, though, moderation is key.

2 Likes

I dislike the food being mentioned, specifically, because it contributes to guilt around what we eat, which leads to unhealthy eating behaviour.

I feel no guilt about my food, my taste in music, my penchant for a regular (well made) alcoholic beverage, kinks, etc. and don’t see why others should either. But that’s just me…

3 Likes

The exception being: food someone is allergic to and eats anyhow - because allergic reactions are Not Good

2 Likes

As long as you’re not trying to force those tastes onto somebody else, I don’t see a prolem, either, personally.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.