What’s cooking today?

So, as @Sillsallad has set the bar fairly low, let’s dig beneath it!

Eggy veg and lentil rice wraps with a chili spread and a potato to be eaten like an apple! (After all, it is a pomme de terre…)

3 Likes

Haha no banning here! The problem is, I’m lazy and mostly just chop up potatoes then spread some seasoning blends on them and toss 'em in the oven.
The “potato” part was a reference to my dog, Percy, the laziest 2-year-old Pyrenees in the entire universe. The other day our older dog started barking at the FedEx man and he didn’t even open his eyes.

1 Like

Is that a raw potato you just pick up and eat?

To me that sounds like roast potatoes! Normally I just use them to bulk up crap-in-a-pots so I don’t have to also make rice…

But is there anything that you would like to see (and this the important bit) see someone else put effort into making? Particularly if you can’t be bothered to make it yourself! :yum:

Yes but also no. It’s meant to be the laziest way someone can serve and eat potato. The potato went back into my stocks.

1 Like

Hmmmmm. You know, I’ve seen those Hasselback potatoes (and even had one pinned at some point) but never got around to making them. They look so cool though! Honestly, I’m pretty easy to please as I’m the cook at home.

2 Likes

I was actually planning on doing that this week :grin:

1 Like

Hasselback potatoes it is!

1 Like

I made them a few times, but they were too much hassle, not enough added flavour back. (Really!)

1 Like

Really? I think they’re pretty hassle free, just need a coat of butter added now and then after the first preparations.

I love them, we had them pretty often when I was a kid

1 Like

Taking them out every 20 minutes seems to be a faff to me. However I have a baked potato button on the microwave. I am going to try using that and see what happens.

2 Likes

To be continued…

Edit:

Et voilà, classical hasselbackspotatis with pork tenderloin and a mixed sallad.
Unfortunately the potatoes broke while plating. Should have used my favorite spatula…

2 Likes

*licks screen

1 Like

Tonight’s supper did not include potatoes, cause I only discovered this thread while cooking. It did include chicken packets, well, that’s it beside a drink. Cooked chicken breast, cream cheese, and mrs. Dash. All chopped up and mixed then put on crescent roll dough and wrapped up and sealed before baking.

Very portable and good cold.

Also, Rozen, dunno if you’ll see this and I’m lazy tonight, but if you ever want my recipe for keto ice cream that’s less than 3 net carbs per serving, lemme know. I cook for a keto kid who eats less than 12 netcarbs a day for seizure control.

1 Like

Tonight I made Plan C for supper (even though it was Plan C at last minute-Mom kept changing the plan- it was going to be a summer salad, then it was going to be, Burgers, and then Plan C was spagetthi). Normally Spaghetti (Plan C) used to stress me out but today it didn’t and I have no idea why. Nor did I have to run around like a chicken with their head cut off because of rushing around near the end

2 Likes

We have been doing a different cuisine every Friday for the last few weeks. It started after we accidentally had a German night because the grocery store substituted bratwursts for the wieners I ordered. We have done Italian and Greek nights since then.

Tonight was Spain: garlic shrimp, pipirrana salad, chicken & chorizo paella, and Spanish flan. The goal is NOT “authenticity”, it’s just an excuse to do a 3-course dinner that’s a bit different from our usual. (For example, the flan was just an Oetker crème caramel mix.)

I was nervous about tonight, because the food was a bit outside of my cooking comfort zone; for the first time, I was making all untried dishes. However, it turned out well! DH loved the salad, my daughter ate some shrimp even though she doesn’t much care for shrimp’s texture, and we soaked up the garlic sauce with bread. The paella (made in my 5 kg cast iron frying pan that I rarely use) was very nice, and the “flan” turned out nicely. 10 out of 10, would definitely cook again!

Recipes:

Gambas al ajillo
Chicken & Chorizo Paella
Pipirrana salad
Fake flan

2 Likes

Maybe you’re getting more confident with the spaghetti? I hope that’s the reason!

I find it helps to spend some extra time organizing and measuring things before I begin the actual cooking. It really cuts down on last-minute stress.

no measuring in this family we just “shake, shake, shake” the stuff. I guess one thing which might have helped is when I was waiting for the water to boil I got myself organized for the last part- closing the cookbook, bringing out the croutons for the salad, and opening up the Casear salad dressing bottle

and another thing that might have helped is that I used the timer to help to remind me to stir when I was working on the salad

1 Like

I cook with feeling too!

1 Like

Those are all definitely helpful things to do! I use a timer for soooo many things— I even timed cooking the garlic for the shrimp, even though it was just 60 seconds.

I would encourage you to try measuring things. Then, if you get a good result, you will know the measurements to use to have another success!

Today I will write up recipe cards for everything I made yesterday, because I didn’t do it exactly the same as the original recipes. I used lots more tomato in the salad, for example, and half as much pepper in the paella. Then, when I make the recipes again, it will be the same as yesterday.