What’s cooking today?

It was unrefrigated at the store but normally when we (Mom/I) buy these we put them in the basement fridge for future use. But I don’t know how old the container is…since It was whenever the last time I had taken my crocs to work. Maybe the week before the hoildays?

And I wouldn’t be able to tell if the cheese “smells off” because I wouldn’t know what an “off” Cheese smells like. It’s nothing like the brick/blocks of cheese when you can see mold. I mean I can tell it smells but I can’t tell if it “smells off” or not.

But thanks for the information!

1 Like

Tip some onto your palm and give it a sniff. Does it smell like cheese, or nothing, or does it smell bad?

If it was unrefrigerated at the store, you didn’t leave it anywhere hot (like next to a floor furnace vent), and it does not smell bad, then it should be fine. You can also look for a Best Before date on the package. It will say “BB/MA” followed by a date, like BB/MA 2023JU15 for Best Before June 15, 2023.

(For those wondering, MA is short for the French phrase “meilleur avant”, i.e., “best before”.)

2 Likes

Mom says its okay when I talked with her about it we replaced the opened container of Paremsan cheese with this container I “found” in my backpack last night

1 Like

Glad to hear it!

So in some ways is (melting) choclate like cheese? Like if you put a cut up/shredded whatever into a pot (or a cup) And if you stir it (pot/cup) for a bit the cheese/choc melt in the pot/cut?

1 Like

Pretty much! I always butter the bowl before I put in the chocolate and then heat it in the microwave. Be careful, though—it doesn’t take long to melt, but the chocolate doesn’t LOOK melted until you stir it. (I have heard stories about what happens when people just go by what it looks like, and they zap it more and more and more…)

1 Like

I didn’t know that. I was going to use the mini-chopper to chop up some choclate for me for a hot choclate but for some reason I can’t get it to work right. So after I heated up my milk i put the cut up choclate pieces in and I stired the choclate in the cup a little bit and after a couple of seconds I realized it melted.

Guess I learned something

1 Like

I made homemade sausage for dinner last night. It was amazing.

3 Likes

Thanks to some RL disruption I haven’t really cooked beyond making food hot enough to consume. Tonight I made rameyon. Creamy leek and cherry tomato spicy rameyon with a hint of ginger and tamarind.

1 Like

What’s rameyon, please?

Ramen, but Korean and spicier. Usually has an egg.

1 Like

Ah. Thankyou! :slight_smile:

Also, cooked at home. Ramen spelling is reserved for eating out.

1 Like

Last night we had scrambled eggs and hash browns, and I made a fresh pot of green chili which we put on the eggs (that’s the chili in the picture). Tonight we’re eating out – yay! I don’t have to cook!

3 Likes

I can see cake by your name… happy birthday, @BP128!

2 Likes

Thanks, @Stephen! We ate at Colton’s Steak House (a Midwest US regional chain of about 35 locations). So tonight’s dinner was Mesquite Grilled Salmon, sauteed mushrooms, a side salad, and a couple of yummy dinner rolls. Then for dessert, a small dish of three kinds of chocolate ice cream at home. I’m plenty full, and it was all delicious. It was a good day overall.

3 Likes

I made Crab Rangoons for the first time last night. Apparently they are a standard thing on Chinese restaurant menus in some areas, but I have never heard of them before.

I guess they were okay. I baked them instead of deep-fried, which may have made a difference. They seemed a bit on the bland side, unless they were drowned in plum sauce. If I make them again, I’d probably use more Worcestershire sauce, more soy sauce, and maybe some sesame oil or five-spice powder.

2 Likes

Love crab ragoons.

1 Like

Does the Crab Rangoon recipe I posted seem to be missing anything? Maybe I just made a poor choice.

Maybe the point is to have something to put yummy plum sauce on?

Or maybe my tastebuds are dying….

I didn’t look at it never made them myself so I’m not familiar.

1 Like