What’s cooking today?

Where’s my plate???

Still in the cupboard.

1 Like

About a month ago, i posted how I roast my chicken to ensure I have really nice gravy.

Today i thought I’d post some pics. The chicken has just gone in the oven, covered in foil; I’ll remove it for the final half hour. But before i covered it in foil, this is what it looked like:

The chicken’s cavity has been filled with two small onions (quartered). The entire chicken has been coated with a spice rub made up of a mix of little salt, a load of paprika, cayenne and dried rosemary, stirred together with a little olive oil. I also used a little olive oil to grease the roasting tray.

After coating it, there was a little rub left over, so that got poured into the cavity.

Here’s a line up of what I’ve used so far, and what I’ll be using later:

Front row: olive oil, table salt, dried rosemary, paprika and cayenne.

Second row: chicken stock cubes and cornflower (a thickening agent).

Anything else in shot: not used, nor would i recommend using it. Hand sanitizer is not going to add flavour… well, not a pleasant one!

1 Like

Foil off… basting time!

Roast potatoes have also gone in the oven, and carrots will be put in the pan a little while…

1 Like

Nicely roasted!

All juices from the tray, plus the onions from inside the chicken in the saucepan, stirred in with the two crumbled stock cubes.

Water from the drained carrots stirred into the onion mix. I’ll be bringing that to the boil, stirring occasionally.

Also getting stirred is some cornflour with cold water (not hot!) until it is runny. I like a thick gravy, so i use loads!

After bringing the gravy back to the boil, i slowly stir in the cornflour mix, and bring back to the boil once more, stirring continuously. When it’s thick enough, take it off the heat and pop it in a jug…

…and serve!

2 Likes

Stock: Round 1 (Roasted chicken carcass plus vegetable peelings and other scraps)

Stock: Round 2 (Experimental) is in the pressure cooker…

1 Like

Tonight I made mushroom gravy for the first time, using the stock posted above. One more recipe for the memory bank!

1 Like

Today I tried sourbread. For some reason it never clicked that sourbread was going to be sour. yuck. do not recommend

3 Likes

After three days of the luxury of restaurants and deliveries, I was back in the kitchen again

Chicken with pasta in a parmesan sauce and roasted seeds on top. It was delicious

3 Likes

I forgot to mention, this took 20mins to cook, making it a great everday life dish!

2 Likes

Yummy.

I am working on perfecting my noodle bowl recipe. It’s working quite well so far. I need to perfect the tare and learn how to make a boiled egg that can be peeled.

3 Likes

Plunge the egg into cold water right after cooking; that quick cooling helps a lot with peeling.

2 Likes

I’m making the chicken veggie bites. Here’s the recipe. I used celery and carrot instead of zucchini.

I’ll post a pic when they’re done. They turned out great. Sorry I started nomming on them. I tried them with guacamole, honey roasted bbq from Chick Fil A, sweet baby rays hickory and brown sugar and French’s honey mustard. I think I like the Sweet Baby Rays and the honey mustard the best with them.

3 Likes

I made bacon latkes with applesauce.

I’m a very bad jew. Good thing i’m actually an atheist of jewish descent.

3 Likes

Today has been a little bit sniffy so I made soup. Onions along with a homegrown carrot, homegrown chard, two chili peppers of unknown variety and my own stock. I cracked and beat an egg into it just to give it that extra something.

5 Likes

Currently making this Spansih Chocolate Almond Cake, with the help of Google Translate:

So far, so good!

1 Like

First layer, the pie crust baked in springform pan. I forgot about shrinkage, trimmed the crust a little too much. Oh well.

I hardly ever use the springform pan. I think the last time was at least 10 years ago.

The recipe doesn’t say to let the pastry cool before pouring the almond mixture in, but I’m going to let it do that just to be safe.

Here is my translation (with a LOT of help from Google) of the recipe.

Pastel de chocolate con almendras

1 refrigerated pie crust dough (enough for 1-crust pie)

150 g butter (100 g (1/2 cup) for the filling + 50 g for the topping)

100g (1/2 cup) sugar

3 eggs

100g ground almonds or almond flour

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

200 ml of whipping cream

200 g (1 tablet) of NESTLÉ Desserts Dark Chocolate

Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Roll out the shortcrust pastry and line a removable tart pan with it. Prick the bottom several times with a fork and cover it with the paper that wraps the dough (or a circle of parchment), pressing the walls well. Trim off excess dough if needed. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the paper / parchment and cook for another 5 minutes. Beat 100 g of butter with the sugar until very fluffy, add the eggs one by one beating each time and do not add the other egg until it is integrated. Add the almonds and vanilla and mix well. Pour the preparation into the cake and bake it in the oven for 25 min. Remove from the oven and let cool. Heat the cream in a saucepan until it boils. Remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate and 50g of the butter. Stir it until you get a homogeneous cream. Pour chocolate mixture over the cake and refrigerate for 1 hour, hour and a half.

——

So I have poured the almond mixture over the crust and put it back into the oven. The recipe says 25 minutes, I have no idea how big the pan is supposed to be, so I’m just baking for 15 minutes to start.

Turns out 20 minutes is just about perfect: baked and set, with brown around the edges.

Step three, the chocolate top, will be tomorrow.

2 Likes

I bought some cute Thanksgiving cupcake liners for my mini cheesecakes.

3 Likes

Cute! I picked up a bunch of Christmas ones on sale, ages ago, and I’m slowly working my way through them.

I don’t know if this is true of the ones you bought, or if it works the same with mini-cheesecakes as with muffins, but the paper ones become dull due to the fat in the muffins penetrating the paper. So, to have a nice, brightly-coloured outer wrapper, I use two liners: a boring white paper one on the inside, nested in the cute printed one.

IIRC, you can’t really add a second, outer liner after baking, at least not easily.

If your fancy liners are the thick, waxy ones, you might be okay to bake with just one liner. I have seen that kind, but never used them.

2 Likes