What is your "I know, I'm sorry to be that person" order at a restaurant?

Could be as simple or as complicated as you want.

1 Like

For me, it’s raw tomato. Can’t stand it.

If i know it’s going to be on it, I’ll ask for it to not be on it. Which is extremely annoying when it still comes with it.

I tried out a new kebab place, and specifically requested no salad, as i knew the tomatoes came chopped up and mixed in. When i got it, it had all the salad mixed in, including tomatoes.

It was a new place, so i figured it was just learning errors. I politely requested a new one, which they brought out.

That would have been fine, except the person who brought it out said that if i didn’t want it, i should request it without it. That really annoyed me.

Mistakes happen, but if you make them then own up, don’t blame someone else, especially the customer!

I didn’t say anything (wish i had), but I’ve never been back.

5 Likes

hmm. if you requested no salad, they could have mentioned they would mix things into the dish instead. and, understandable why that annoyed you.

4 Likes

Try being gluten, dairy, and nightshade free. The nightshade one is a nightmare because it is a whole list of things. I warn servers that the list of issues is going to be long.

6 Likes

My sister has a nightshade allergy (intolerance?).
It’s a MESS holy crap.

3 Likes

I have the fun honor of being unable to digest fructose properly. It’s not nearly as bad as some people’s intolerances and definitely not as bad as allergies, but it does make me feel like absolute trash and mess up my intestines. Do you know what does and doesn’t have fructose in it? The most random of fruits and vegetables.
It makes very much for an episode of “I’d like this minus this plus this divided in half and please don’t add Y because of Z.”

3 Likes

Someone else who understands this entire mess! I am very lucky in that my family just rolls with it (my mother and her checklist of who can have what is amusing but necessary) and that my boyfriend’s family is also very accommodating.

And oh gosh on your issue. That’s as insane as my diabetic friend and I trying to find a restaurant to eat at (there is thankfully a local restaurant which is super accommodating).

3 Likes

My sis desperately misses potatoes.
Apparently, she’s on this diabetes/weightloss med that’s actually been helping her digest SOME of the nightshades. She can have salsa again!
I’d die without potato chips.

2 Likes

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what nightshade is with regards to digestion etc. It’s not an intolerance that I have come across before!

Mine is a Blue steak. Servers need to be taught the steak below Rare by name and chefs need to be taught how to cook it.

4 Likes

Nightshade info

I fully agree about the steak as well. I love a very rare steak (not 100% sure if it counts as blue), but last time I ordered one, it came out well done!

I didn’t complain, but that was mainly because my anxiety wouldn’t let me. I also felt that the cow that died to be my steak had been insulted enough by being turned into that, so I didn’t want to be disrespectful.

3 Likes

Vinegar for my fries—in restaurants that don’t do fish and chips. But I‘m quite happy to get a little ramekin of white vinegar to drizzle over my fries.

In Canada, most fast food chains (Wendy’s, McDonald’s, A&W) will give packets of white vinegar if you ask.

1 Like

Fun fact: Eggplant, Tomato, and potato are all members of the nightshade family.

Cabbage, Broccoli, cauliflower, mustard and a few others are all the same species.

Apples are also closely related to roses!

3 Likes

Yup, apples are members of the Rosaceae family, along with plums, cherries, apricots, strawberries, blackberries, you get the idea…

4 Likes

I am allergic to cocoa.

A lot of desserts come with chocolate decorations which aren’t declared in the menu. 99% of the time I remember to ask/mention not to add that.

Most of the time I get it anyway, and depending on how the decoration is served I might have to send the dessert back. If it’s just a cocolate covered waffle stuck into ice cream, I’d just remove it. If the sprinkle cocoa powder all over the dessert, it’s inedible.

This has made me “that person” very often :frowning:

4 Likes

raises hand soy and dairy allergies here, i get this

2 Likes

This brings me joy.

I was about to say the number of times I see a “chocolate sprinkle” on a dessert just for aesthetics must be very sad for you.

1 Like

yeah, a lot of restaurants just ‘add chocolate’ without thinking about it. and how frustrating for you :frowning_face:

1 Like

Tomatoes, white potatoes, peppers of any color (black pepper is fine since it is a different family), eggplant, goji berries, potato starch (made from white potatoes), any spices made of these things, and sauces made of these things. I have the entire list on my phone. It is not a common one yet so don’t feel bad for not knowing! I’m still learning and I’ve been nightshade free for 6 years.

3 Likes

I have only once sent back meat that wasn’t cooked as I requested - and there was definitely “payback” on the part of the restaurant.
I love lamb medium rare, and what I received had no pink whatsoever. I sent it back, and in return, got it bloody rare. I ate it anyway - it was good, but there was a bit of an “ick” factor.

3 Likes