What are your favorite stories of the year so far?

I know it’s only September but just you wait, before you know it Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas” will be making retail worker’s lives a living Hell.

Us editors try to keep track of stories that do well or resonate for our end of year roundups, but since we have forums now, I thought it would be fun to see if any of you have any honorable mentions from this year that you’d like to see make the cut.

I honestly thought the very first story we posted this year was pretty hilarious, so don’t be surprised to see that in the list, but it would be great to let me know what stood out after that! Let me know?

So many to choose from, but here are a few that made me chuckle…

Not so much for the story here (although it is still rather good) but for the combined effort in the comments section for a complete rewriting of The Sound of Silence, seeing as I got stuck after the first verse.

Off the top of my head, Horsing Around And Being A Horse’s A**.

2 Likes

Another one, from early in the year.

1 Like

Also, this one.

1 Like

I maintain a personal list of the stories I’d like to revisit (much easier as a set of bookmarks than hoping they’ll show up in Popular)… Have crossed 100 as at the last count.

Anyhow, two from 2021 made it to that list:

2 Likes

Ouch, so much wrong in this story! Even though the aunt was being awful and obviously acting horrible here, people shouldn’t guilt trip someone to look after a child. The aunt clearly wasn’t up for this, it doesn’t justify her actions, but don’t force people to take care of a kid.

1 Like

My parents offered for [Step-Aunt] to go as she was fresh out of college and they felt that they may need help with three kids;

It sounds to me like the aunt accepted the all-expense-paid trip knowing she might be asked to help out with the kids. Taking one 8-year old for probably a couple of hours, just to go on a single ride, doesn’t seem like too much to expect in return.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me of the pizza and gangster one, that is one of the absolute best, I think.

1 Like

Of course, there might have been the expectation, that she would help around and look after the kids. But if that wasn’t the deal, it’s only an expectation.

They were still leaving the kid with someone who obviously didn’t want to look after him.

My current favorite is this one that went up yesterday.
Fighting Stupid With Stupid

3 Likes

If you haven’t already seen this story, I’m pretty sure you’ll like this too:

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, that one is great, too!

1 Like

Are you still looking for nominations? Just had a notification of a like on my comment on this story, and remembered how OH MY EFFING G the punchline to this story was!

1 Like

“I don’t work here” reminded me of this – this tactic should be employed by all unlucky shoppers accosted by another shopper insisting they must be an employee and not listening to them explain they are not.

(Off-topic Edit: It’s funny how the forum ignores text in brackets in a linked story, turning “your [product]s” intos “your s”.)

2 Likes

An excellent story, well written and satisfying. Also a Reddit story, which shows there are some that work for NAR too!

6 Likes

I was just reminded of this, and I believe this is among the very best of the year (even if it has a violent low point).

3 Likes

Thanks all! I’ll be putting together some end-of-year roundups soon, so these are very helpful!

Anything else you think we editors need to do to celebrate the end of 2021?

3 Likes

Please include at least one punny story! I know there are a few of my stories in this category for this year (no idea why :innocent:), but this one (not mine, nor am I the manager, despite a fair few asking!) is probably the best:

1 Like

I like this one, if that’s the way to describe it. Also, personally no Reddit stories. They don’t normally translate well compared to a dedicated submission.

3 Likes