What are your favorite holiday foods?

With the weather getting colder, people are getting together to cook lots of great food together. What are some dishes you love having every year?

Dressing is my favourite Christmas food (Canada had it’s Thanksigiving in October). I do like being able to have snacks on hoilday

3 Likes

Dressing is always a good choice. What sort of snacks are your faves at Christmas?

1 Like

My wife makes me a christmas left-over pizza on boxing day which is everything.

4 Likes

Nanaimo bar is a Christmas tradition at our house. For non-Canadians, it’s a 3-layer square. The bottom is mainly graham cracker crumbs mixed with melted chocolate; the centre is buttercream frosting flavoured with custard powder; the top is pretty much pure chocolate.

Our newest tradition, started last year, is a holiday smorgasbord: instead of having normal food for supper over the holidays, we do a spread of various appetizers, cheese, cold cuts, and bread/crackers.

5 Likes

It looks a bit like Millionaires Shortcake!

2 Likes

That was what I was thinking too!

2 Likes

Yes, the appearance is very similar! They are both quite rich, too :wink:

1 Like

I love pecan pie. Tomorrow I’m making mini no bake pumpkin cheesecakes for Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

Christmas pudding. Especially a big one without a need to share! :innocent:

2 Likes

yum! layered cookies are so good.

Pigs in blankets and Yorkshire puddings are my favourite. There’s also these German star things I can’t remember the name of, but they are tasty.

2 Likes

These?

Or are you thinking more of these?

I’m a big fan of stollen. I slather one side in butter then dip the buttery side into any sugar that has fallen off. Mmmm!

Bread sauce is gorgeous too!

1 Like

My mother makes me mashed sweet potatoes. Also, cucumbers and sour cream (I eat like 2 little pieces).

1 Like

It’s well known in my family that at least one turkey drumstick is always mine lol
The thing I remember the most about my grandmother’s Christmases is the meatballs in sauce - which is kinda sad because she was an amazing baker and those meatballs were probably store-bought haha

not a food per sé, but we used to have a tradition of drinking hot chocolate on christmas Eve; so whenever I get a hot chocolate I think back to christmas time as a kid.
And no Sinterklaas (it is a holiday in december so it counts) is complete without a huge back of chocolate covered marshmallow cigars and marsipan

3 Likes

I really like töltött káposzta, a Hungarian/Cental European variation of cabbage roll, and zserbó, a traditional Hungarian dessert consisting of layers of pastry with a filling of a mix of ground nuts, jam and sugar, topped off with chocolate.
I also like szaloncukor, a shell of chocolate filled with various sweet fillings, which is a great Christmas snack.

3 Likes

Food that looks cozy often tastes comforting too.

2 Likes

Ginger spice cookies. Must be made with molasses. Yum.

I do miss having a nip of “slush” when I was older. Slush was a frozen mixture of fruit juice/concentrate and some sort of alcohol (I never made this, but a family friend did, and getting a glass of it was always a treat- so I might be off on the ingredients) served with soda.

My dad would end up with Purity syrup (local brand of flavored syrup, strawberry, orange, cherry, etc) with either water or soda of some sort. It is kinda like Italian soda. Actually a glass of purity was left with cookies on Christmas eve for “Santa”.

1 Like

I just whipped up a batch of pecan squares! Basic flour-brown sugar-butter crust (okay, margarine; I wanted non-dairy) half-baked. Then margarine, brown sugar and maple syrup boiled together with pecans stirred in poured over the crust and baked, chocolate chips sprinkled on top while it’s still hot and once they’re slightly melted, drag a fork through 'em, then chill before serving!

3 Likes