What are you currently reading or watching? (new)

Interesting; I prefer the Stormlight Archive to Mistborn. I think it may simply be that I prefer the world building in the Stormlight Archive; and also, I’m not as enamoured of Kelsier as everyone else seems to be. As someone with a tendency to depression I also like the portrayal of Kaladin.

Of course, I still have The Lost Metal on preorder :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really enjoy his Skyward series too although it seems intended for more of a YA audience than some of his other work.

2 Likes

AlienToasterRepairs - I have put the Iron druid series on my “to read” list; thank you.
Ceiswyn - Skyward, Wheel of Time, the Reckoners and Alcatraz are probably my favorite series in Sanderson books - Mistborn and Stormlight Archive are good, but not in the top echelon
(no accounting for the fact that two of the series I like are aimed at YA audience; they are just well-written IMHO).
I think my expectations of Stormlight Archive are lowered since the last book is expected to come out in 2040 - I will be in my late 70s by then. That’s disappointing.

I finished watching the Watership Down mini series on Netflix. I really enjoyed it.

1 Like

Hi, PublishedAuthor. I didn’t know there was a Watership Down miniseries, but since I loved the book, I will look for it. Thanks for mentioning!

Hi, Callyn. Part of your post was blanked out - what is the 30-year old book you are referring to?

I hope you enjoy the Iron Druid series! I forget if I mentioned but the author is working on two other series’ at the moment:

The Seven Kennings - A classic fantasy series with an interesting twist that magic users have to undergo a physical trial to gain their powers which has a high rate of fatality.

Ink & Sigil - A spin off from the Iron Druid series set in my home city of Glasgow!

I had no idea that the last book in the Stormlight Archive is expected so late!

1 Like

It’s a spoiler tag, you can click on it to read the spoiler but I’m talking about Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

1 Like

I am currently reading “Mother Daughter Traitor Spy” by Susan Elia MacNeal. It is based on a true story Inspired by the real mother-daughter spy duo who foiled Nazi plots in Los Angeles during WWII. So far, so good.

1 Like

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Very bingeable.

1 Like

On a sports note, the most important thing I’ve been watching in Oct/Nov is post-season baseball - I’m a huge Astros fan.
And while I love college football, my beloved Texas A&M Aggies are having a horrible season. (still watch games, of course, but it’s admittedly not as fun.)

1 Like

I’ve finished The Golden Enclaves and it’s good, though I’m not sure it’s as good as the other two books. It’s still better than most other things on the market, but compared to the last three Naomi Novik books I’ve read it’s less than those.

I’m currently reading Reaper Man by Sir Terry Pratchett and it’s good as expected. And I already have my next book lined up: The World We Make by N.K. Jemisin. The first book in this series, The City We Became was a good lesson in how a good author can kill subtext and still write a good book, and I’m curious how this book will com out. Jemisin is, of course, excellent but I’m not sure how she can follow up on the first book which makes the statement “racism is bad” and turns it into a novel.

3 Likes

I’ve read a lot of N K Jemisin’s books, but I still haven’t tried The City We Became; largely because I didn’t like the short story it was based on.

Maybe I should…

1 Like

It is not a subtle book and I don’t think she totally stuck the ending but I generally would recommend it. Though it might not hit as hard since you’re in the UK.

1 Like

Just got The Witcher series as audiobooks, haven’t started listening though. Should be good :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’ve seen the Netflix show, the first season follows several of The Last Wish’s stories!

Having just finished The World We Make and read the short story that The City We Became was based upon, the short story isn’t much like the novels. It can’t be, being a short story and the novels being novels, but the short story (minus the epilogue) is basically the first chapter of The City We Became and then other things happen. I recommend it, even if both of the novels feel sightly unfinished and I wish Jemisin had written the trilogy as originally intended. I also understand being frustrated by how a project is reflecting disturbing trends in reality, so I don’t fault her for wrapping it up early.

2 Likes

I’m reading a novel called “Cinder and Ashes”. It’s a retelling about Cinderella but in a historical sense (simliar to Ever After, but with no Da Vinice). A possible headstracher for the Cinderella story for most people is why (if Cinderella’s father was a noble person like in the Perrault version) why no one ever comes to visit Cinderella after her father’s passing.

In this version of the story the reason for this is because the step-mother claimed that “Cinderella went to live with their aunt”.

2 Likes

1 Like

I have this on hold at the library! Please let me know what you think when you finish.

1 Like