What are you currently reading and watching?

Currently. I’m working my way through the Unwanteds series (I read the first book ages ago and never got a chance to continue), and I’m trying to work through Korra on Netflix. What are the rest of y’all up to?

2 Likes

Listening to the 8th Doctor audio adventure Stranded, and alternating reading between Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson, and a couple of puzzle books.

3 Likes

I finished reading the most recent Bandette, just received The Eating Disorders Trap to start on (a friend is currently in treatment [edited to add: and that person specifically suggested it; I don’t know yet that it is a good target book, and it seems to have some editing issues]), am still languishing part way through Moby Dick, and started watching the old Mission Impossible TV series because I occasionally tell people, “Your mission, should you decide to accept it,” and figured I should see where that came from. (I hadn’t realized Leonard Nimoy was in that. It’s strange and wonderful to see him laughing!)

2 Likes

currently I’m revisiting Alcatraz vs the evil librarians

2 Likes

Working my way through disc world, mostly focusing on the night watch books at the moment. I’m a big fan of mysteries/cop shows so I like the deconstruction quite a bit.

3 Likes

My favourite of the Night Watch stories is Thud. Snuff is pretty good, but you can see one or two places where Pratchett’s writing skill had started to crack owing to his illness. Fortunately those parts are few and far between, and Snuff does stand up to repeated reading.

I’m not sure i can bring myself to reading his last two again. I’m glad i read them, but the novels were a pale shadow of Pterry’s previous works.

2 Likes

For uni:

Otherwise

Lined up:

3 Likes

Reading… I’m currently bouncing back and forth between Briarheart by Mercedes Lackey and Bill O’Reilly’s Legends and Lies books. (The bouncing because I keep forgetting to read Briarheart when I have it checked out so I have to wait to read more until I get back to the top of the hold list… Bill O’Reilly doesn’t seem to have the same popularity problem.)

Watching… I’m back to binging Air Disasters. I love the show. And I just found that Paramount+ has a few seasons that I haven’t watched yet, so… Yeah. I’m set for a while.

2 Likes

I love Mission: Impossible. The (early) original series was awesome* but I like the re-make, too.

*Not as keen on the later seasons. 2&3 were definitely the best, imho.

2 Likes

The next book in my literature class is the The Wall by Marlen Haushofer. I’ve just started reading and I’m intrigued. Has anyone here read it? It was one of the most read books in Germany during the covid lockdowns

“The novel’s main character is a 40-something woman whose name the reader never learns. She tries to survive a cataclysmic event: while vacationing in a hunting lodge in the Austrian mountains, a transparent wall has been placed that closes her off from the outside world; all life outside the wall appears to have died, possibly in a nuclear event. With a dog, a cow, and a cat as her sole companions, she struggles to survive and to come to terms with the situation. Facing fear and loneliness, she writes an account of her isolation without knowing whether or not anyone will ever read it.”

3 Likes

I’m afraid I hadn’t even heard of it before reading your post. Interesting. Just from that brief synopsis, it reminds me in some ways of Philip Wylie’s The Disappearance, in which all men and all women are suddenly in parallel universes separate from each other (only men in one, only women in the other). I’ll look for it. :slight_smile:

Edit: Huh; looks like there’s a new edition coming out in the US in June, and I’m seeing older editions listed used for $70 or more. I think I’ll wait until June. :wink:

2 Likes

Put The Disappearance on my to-read list!

The Wall reminds me of Stephen King’s Under the Dome. King focuses on the human relationships and tension between the characters, Haushofer’s book is about the isolation and solitude

I’m one third through and really like it so far

(I didn’t love The Disappearance; there was just some similarity in premise that made it come to mind. I don’t think you’ll be missing much of you don’t read it. :wink: )

I haven’t read Under the Dome. Nor have I read The Martian, which as I understand it also focuses a lot on isolation, solitude, and survival, and which is on my list…

1 Like

While in the last several weeks I read a book about a fictional Canadian woman whom ended up interacting with real-life celebs. Another book I finished reading was about about two groups one is a dragons whom could turn into humans (Talon) and an organization called St. George whose duty is to reap the dragons. But in Talon (The first of five books)-a girl named Ember (from Talon) and a soilder (Garret) from St George fall for each other and learn that what they learn from each other might be wrong about what they been taught. And after I finished that book I was reading first book in a three book series “Espcae from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library”. I’m want to read the interview by the author before I do the next book I can read which is called “City of a Thosuand Dolls”

I discovered audiobooks in mid-2020, which was great as my ability to concentrate on reading printed books was totally shot. I started by listening to a favourite series, Fred Saberhagen’s New Dracula. Robin Bloodworth’s reading of the first book, The Dracula Tape (Dracula’s perspective on the events of the Stoker novel) was a ton of fun. I’ve since listened to the rest of the series and enjoyed them.

Currently, I’m listening to The Picture of Dorian Gray; much like Dracula and Frankenstein, I’m finding that the novel is only slightly similar to the pop culture idea of the story.

In text format, I’m re-reading Saberhagen’s The Frankenstein Papers: similar idea to The Dracula Tape, in that we get the Creature’s perspective on the events of the original novel, but unlike The Dracula Tape, Saberhagen claims large stretches of the Shelley story are complete fabrications. Love this book for the twist ending, which Saberhagen sets up brilliantly, but the storyline skips back and forth in time so much that it can be hard to follow.

How do you like it ?

i’m about halfway through, and I keep hearing Basil saying “You don’t really believe that, Harry” and thinking to myself that Harry is the real monster of the piece. Dorian and Basil are no great shakes either, though.

One of the reasons I’m reading it is because I heard that Conan Doyle praised Wilde for it, calling it a very moral story, which intrigued me.

Currently watching the French film Amilé. I genuinely believe it is impossible to watch it and feel bad afterwards.

I’d not seem it in years and forgotten how dark some of the humour is though!

If someone was to tell me that Amelié was based on Paddington Bear, i would not be surprised. She sees good in everyone, wants to do lovely things for people, but if you’re not nice, she has one HELL of a stare!

2 Likes

I’ve bought several new (to me anyways) Uncle John’s Bathroom Readers, and also a copy of H.G. Wells’ The Invisible Man and Jules Verne’s Around The Word In 80 Days.

1 Like

I’m currently reading Mort by Terry Pratchett. I don’t know why I’ve never really gotten into his books. From what I’m reading now it absolutely would have been right up my alley growing up. I think it’s because I got put off by the exposition info dump of The Colour of Magic when I was a teen. I really wasn’t a fan of fantasy stories with excessive info dumping.

My husband is a big Pratchett fan and recommended I read either Guards Guards, or Mort. So I chose Mort because it sounded fun. I’m really enjoying it. Can’t wait to read more books.

The deal is I read Mort, and he reads something by Neil Gaiman (who is one of my faves).

7 Likes