Weekly Cooking Challenge

Like @CJR suggested in the What’s Cooking Today thread, let’s spice up our menus with a weekly cooking challenge. The warm up round has already started! Don’t miss out on the fun :slight_smile:

Rules:

• There will be a weekly challenge (Sunday-Sunday), set by the previous week’s winner. It might be an ingredient, a theme, a colour, or anything that the winner might think of. Let’s get creative!

• Post a picture of your dish

• Like all the dishes you like

• The winner is the one with the most likes

• You can like posts and be a part of the jury without cooking

What could you win:

• First and foremost: Honour and the title “Cook of the Week”

• You may state the new challenge

• Inspiration, fun and maybe some new ideas for food

Do you have to do them all?
Nah, you can join every week, you can join once in a while, just as you please. The more, the merrier though!

First Challenge:

Cook something with potatoes

Pat on the Back Bonus:

Cook Hasselback Potatoes

index

(Please let me know if you think there should be any changes to the rules etc)

4 Likes

Hasselback potatoes are a bit specific for this sort of challenge. I think if we’re going to have a cooking challenge, it should be a more general theme than specific dishes that not everyone can get the ingredients for or would know how to cook. Not that hasselback potatoes are hard to make, but I think we should set the precedent of making something within a broad category.

3 Likes

Do sweet potatoes count since I’m allergic to potatoes?

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had sweet potatoes, tuber honest, although they do sound yammy

3 Likes

Your pun is bad. Very bad. I may have to remember that one.

2 Likes

Hassleback potatoes are the “pat on the back” bonus. Some people, myself included, like a goal beyond “use potatoes”. After all, it’s just a bit of fun.

2 Likes

Nothing particularly special about it; it’s the sort of thing you’d get from common taters

3 Likes

There’s no “pat on the back” bonus listed, though. I don’t think there’s a problem with having one, but it’s not obvious from the post that there is one.

1 Like

@Sillsallad Can you make it clearer that the main challenge is “to use potatoes” and that the hassleback is an optional flair just to show off please?

@Callyn Would you suggest the format that you would like things to be shown in please?

1 Like

Something that specifies what the challenge is rather than listing two different challenges and saying do whatever.

First Challenge:

• Cook something with potatoes

Pat on the Back Bonus:

• Cook Hasselback Potatoes

Something like that.

2 Likes

Not sure if I’ll be able to participate - I’ve got no potatos in the house and I’m only going to the food bank for shopping until I build up my savings again, so it depends what they have - but if I do I’ll probably be making a potato salad, Mom’s way. Been craving that.

3 Likes

Now that’s sorted, what potato dish will you be entering?

1 Like

Changed the wording :slight_smile:

A very specific challenge is okay in my eyes. There’s a risk of it getting boring, because everyone makes the same, but it could also lead to new, creative ideas. I’ll use the hasselback as an example, it can be done in different variations, so one pretty basic dish can spawn several things.
Also a general theme like the potatoes can be interpreted in different creative ways. Got a potato allergy? Make potatofree mashed potatoes :wink:

As to not knowing how to cook things - the net is full of recipes, I would actually enjoy a challenge with something that’s new to me to expand my food horizon. That’s a part of the game.

1 Like

Ohhhhh okay now it’s a competition to see if my 95-year-old Oma’s German Potato Salad compares! :wink:

3 Likes

Is it necessary to use 95 year old german potatoes?

3 Likes

I made both a roast chicken with smashed baked potatoes, goat cheese and a garlic mayo and also a chicken pot/shepherds pie hybrid using potatoes this week, but my pictures of the meals did not turn out well so I won’t actually be entering. The smashed potatoes were a little overdone because the chicken was taking longer than expected, but they were delicious and making mayo by hand is way more work than it’s worth, but it’s the only way mayo tastes ok so I had to do it. The pot pie needed more salt, but luckily that gets kept on the table and is easily added.

2 Likes

A last minute entry. Cheesy sweet potato hassleback with a chili-beer cheese sauce and black pudding sprinkles.

3 Likes

Moving over my hasselbacks from the other thread to this one:

Classic hasselback potatoes with pork tenderloin and a mixed salad

3 Likes

At that age, maybe you can make whiskey out of them instead? :smiley:

3 Likes

Presentation is not my strong point…