Useless facts

whereas if you hear it really really loud at the same time as the flash, it’s probably right over your house.

2 Likes

The reason you aren’t suppose to whistle backstage is that because stage crews were usually made up of sailors whom orders (both on ship and backstage) were given via whistling. Especially during the 17th century when sets began to “fly”.

It’s also known as a serial comma. It’s the comma placed just before the conjunction (‘and’ & ‘or’, for example) in a list of more than two items.

For example:

• Without the Oxford comma: My pizza toppings include double cheese, tomato sauce, bell peppers and olives.
  • With the Oxford comma: My pizza toppings include double cheese, tomato sauce, bell peppers, and olives.

Can you see it? That tiny little extra punctuation didn’t make much of an impact in the above example, but like in the examples given in the previous posts, can make a huge difference.

Courtroom battles with millions at stake have been fought over missing out on one, leading to at least one mega payout.

Strawberry seeds don’t grow outside the fruit. In fact, what we think is a strawberry fruit isn’t even a berry - or a fruit. That’s the fleshy receptacle connecting the fruit to the plant. What we think are the seeds are the actual fruits called achenes, they have seeds inside them.

2 Likes

Strawberries also make new plants with things called runners. The scientific term is stolons. Basically, they send out branches that, when they touch the ground, take root and separate to form a new plant. This is one of the reasons strawberry pots are shaped the way they are: they’re formed so that when the plant in the top sends out runners, the holes on the side of the pot will catch them and make new plants. Most people trim the runners away, though, since growing an entire new plant takes energy away from making berries, and berries are the biggest reason for growing strawberry plants.

(Additional useless fact: every single instance of the word plant/s in this post was first misspelled as “planet/s”)

2 Likes

Shouldn’t the comma be before the and rather than after?

1 Like

Quite possibly. I didn’t have the brainpower to go to Oxford.

Those things DRIVE ME NUTS. They WON’T STOP GROWING they’re taking over.

Sunburn is your skin cells basically committing suicide in order to not become cancer.

2 Likes

looks at foot which had sunburn back in '06 I believe

should I write about that experience? in "Share your Experience section?

Oh dear, my poor skin :ghost:

Hah! Thanks to Keiko’s post about sunburns, I read up on Scandinavian skin.

We apparently have a gene that makes us super pale in winter, but still lets us get an olive tan fast.

I have a Croatian friend who is very confused (and jealous) how fast and olive I tan in the summer. “You’re Swedish, you’re supposed to be the pale one!”

Now I know why :slight_smile:

1 Like

I took a psychology module for one semester and I remember a fascinating lecture where the professor spoke a bit about various syndromes caused by brain damage including one which was presented as something like the opposite of a phantom limb. Sufferers could not recognise their limb as being part of their own body. One example we were given was someone who woke up in hospital after a head injury and screamed the place down because there was a severed hand in her bed. The hand was her own limb, still attached.

I don’t recall the name of the condition though, have you heard of it? I tried googling it and the closest thing I found was Body Integrity Identity Disorder but I don’t think that’s quite the same.

1 Like

That would be somatoparaphrenia. Interestingly enough, they can recognize their limbs in a mirror.

Something related is Cotard’s Syndrome, where a person believes that they are dead, don’t exist, or their body is incomplete or decaying.

2 Likes

There’s also a form of brain damage where the person can no longer consciously register anything in their left field of view, but will react to visual stimuli in that side, so clearly they are still receiving the sensory data they just can’t process it.

I get to work with these people sometimes but it is really rare in my section of the world (crap ton of dementia though).

And speaking of weird things brains do. Traumatic brain injuries can lead to foreign accent syndrome where the person speaks in an accent that isn’t their native accent.

There is an ICD 10 code for pecked by a chicken and another for an injury following knitting/crocheting.

2 Likes

Some places have a legal prohibition of death. This means that it is illegal to die there. Presumably, if you break the law, you get the death penalty.

But usually, these laws are passed as a form of protest because the town needs more cemetery space and the larger government refuses to grant it.

2 Likes

There’s a place somewhere in one of the Nordic countries where this is true. However, it is due to the fact that the ground is too hard.

1 Like

So the law is “If you die, we’ll kill you” ? Uh… how does that work?

2 Likes

No Nordic country has the death penalty.

In Germany suicide is technically illegal (it’s murder!)

2 Likes

Some places it’s the reverse: You’re technically expected to die there, as compared to somewhere else. The old city of Benaras, for example. A pilgrimage city for the Hindu religion, it’s considered the most holy location to die in: your past crimes are washed away if you die in the old city boundaries, and you’re guaranteed a spot in heaven.

2 Likes