Useless facts

Supposedly the ancient Roman military salute was analogous to the current military salute of raising the right hand to the forehead.

According to some, the modern Western salute originated in France when knights greeted each other to show friendly intentions by raising their visors to show their faces. Medieval visors were, to this end, equipped with a protruding spike that allowed the visor to be raised using a saluting motion.

Another origin states that it was a long-established military courtesy for subordinates to remove their headgear in the presence of superiors. With the advent of increasingly cumbersome headgear in the 18th and 19th centuries, the act of removing one’s hat was gradually converted into the simpler gesture of grasping or touching the visor and issuing a courteous salutation. During the Napoleonic Wars, British crews saluted officers by touching a clenched fist to the brow as though grasping a hat-brim between fingers and thumb. Over time, it became conventionalized into something resembling the modern hand salute.

The naval salute, with the palm downwards, is said to have evolved because the palms of naval ratings, particularly deckhands, were often dirty through working with lines and was deemed insulting to present a dirty palm to an officer; thus the palm was turned downwards.

2 Likes

Oh no! Our neighborhood birds are sunflower seed-fiends. Maybe that was the culprit?

Sunseed shells are probably the biggest litter in this area; i walk along the street, and i can see piles of them by every bench.

There is a large Eastern European community around here (Polish? Not sure) and that seems to be the snack of choice. It wouldn’t bother me, but these benches are RIGHT NEXT TO BINS, and yet the shells never make it in there!

If it wasn’t for the daily street sweeping that happens, in a matter of a week I’d have to wade through them to get to the bus stop!

Obligatory fact:

Cliff Richard’s song Congratulations came second in the 1968 Eurovision Song Contest. In 2008, allegations were made that the Spanish entry La La La (which won that year’s contest by one vote) did so because of rigging by the Spanish jury vote.

The giant squid has the largest pair of eyes of any creature in the world.

1 Like

Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down.

1 Like

@Stephen and @PotatoPercy, the birds don’t come close by in the front. And I scare them off the deck (they poop everywhere).

Babies don’t have kneecaps.

The heads on Easter Island have bodies.

1 Like

Aycrom for Mental Health First Aid is

A
L
G
E
E

Assess for risk of harm for yourself or others
Listen Non-judgementally
Give Information
Encourage professional help
Encourage other self-help and support stragerties

(Oh and if someone tells you they’re coming to try to … asks them 1)how they plan to do it and 2)when they’re planning to do it because they might do it like three weeks or a month from when they’re talking about it) -in the actually the 13 Reason Why novel you see er should I say hear? - how Hannah carefully plans out the method of her “accident” and i repeat “accident” overdose- after ruling out the more traumatic deaths of doing you-know what unlike the stupid, stupid, stupid, traumatic death in the show. I mean it’s like Hannah just decides to do it like um right away

I know its two useless facts but I just thought of it due to what @AthenaCat mentioned in the Vent thread

2 Likes

Who vs whom is a common mistake in grammar. Here’s a helpful link to know how to use it.

1 Like

When you say “It’s time for tea!”, don’t forget the apostrophe. But when the dog has lost its bone, leave the apostrophe well alone.

1 Like

Glass takes one million years to decompose, which means it never wears out and can be recycled an infinite number of times.

2 Likes

What does glass even decompose into? Sand?

I’d expect that, maybe. I’m not a chemist. Basically, decomposition is a process wherein organic matter breaks down into its component elements: carbon, carbon dioxide and other materials. Similarly, I’d assume that since silicon and sand are the main components of glass, it’ll decompose into the same too.

Perhaps someone with more experience in such matters can elaborate.

Reminds me of this meme.

3 Likes

And that reminds me of this…

In ancient times strangers shook hands to show that they were unarmed.

4 Likes

Because it is storming here again (on and off)…
A derecho is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system. Derechos can cause hurricane-force winds, tornadoes, heavy rains, and flash floods.

We had one here last week.

Thank you for helping me finally understand what an Oxford comma is used for!

and I still don’t know what an oxford comma is? And this is the 2nd time I heard of it. (first one is in a book vs movie musical review)

It’s used for making a list clearer.

“The forum members, Celoptra and CJR were in the room.” - No Oxford Comma

Vs

“The forum members, Celoptra and, CJR were in the room.” - Oxford Comma

No Oxford Comma makes it sound like it was only you and I in the room, whilst the Oxford Comma makes it clear that other forum members were in the room.

2 Likes

it looks exactly the same to me?

I like my meme because it makes things very explicit. @CJR also, thank you for that explanation.

If you see lightning and count to 5, the lightning is approximately 1 mile away.

1 Like