Unpopular opinions you hold

That’s kind of how the Haab’ (Maya calendar) worked. 18 months of 20 days, and then five days outside the calendar called the Wayeb’. Except the days were considered unlucky/dangerous. That is one option: just declare those days to be outside the calendar and therefore nobody has to work.

Another option is to delete the five days and have a leap month every six or so years. This is something found in lunar calendars, like the Hebrew calendar. Basically, since the moon phases don’t match up perfectly with the solar year, they add an extra month every 2-3 years so it doesn’t drift.

So you can do a couple things with them, but those are pretty unlikely to be implemented.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this opinion is unpopular or not but I saw a quote on Facebook about Game of Thrones thats spoke to me. I can’t find it now so the below is my attempt at paraphrasing:

“George RR Martin loves killing his characters so much that he forgot he needs them to complete the story. He solved that conundrum by introducing unnecessary sub-plots and secondary characters and would have benefited greatly from being reigned in by a strong editor but we’ve now been waiting over 10 years for the next book because even he has lost interest.”

Edit: On a related note I’ve seen some authors debate whether the audience are ‘owed’ sequels and/or the conclusion of a series. As someone who despises an unresolved narrative I’m very much of the opinion that if you start something you should finish it but obviously opinions vary.

7 Likes

Inclined to agree there. I’m still (getting to be im)patiently waiting for the last in the Night World series by LJ Smith! She said in 2012 that Strange Fate would show the endgame for all the characters - 10 years later… tumbleweed

2 Likes

For both movies and books (and games and any other story-medium really) I am of the distinct opinion that if you don’t feel you owe me a complete story (I’ll even accept an unsatisfactory ending as long as there is at least an ending) then I don’t owe you any money.

5 Likes

The concept of free will causes more restrictions and punishments than the idea that the environment determines behaviour. (For those who want to know more, B.F. Skinner wrote Beyond Freedom And Dignity and it covers these concepts in detail. Skinner is a good writer.)

Economics isn’t a science.

The metric system doesn’t require base 10, but it does require a base. The imperial system is baseless.

Set theory is broken. They need to get rid of the idea that all sets contain the empty set, because that causes paradoxes. And they need to integrate limits into their definitions of a set, keeping in mind that limits are properties of operations, so you logically cannot have a set without an operation. For example, multiplication of whole numbers has 2 limits: 1 and infinity. It contains the numbers between 1 and infinity but it does not contain 1 and infinity. For about the same reason why the inside of a soap bubble is made of air, not soap.

Government shouldn’t be involved in people’s love life. This means I want to ban the governmental registration of marriage and all benefits and obligations that come with it. If you want to make a legally binding agreement with someone, you can sign a contract like everybody else.

Likewise, government shouldn’t register gender or race. These too have nothing to do with government. The government can hire researchers who deliver anonymised data, just like everybody else.

I am a firm believer in the closed circle of economics and perpetual growth isn’t a good or viable thing. If something grows, something else has to shrink. If I take a Pun off Stephen, he has one less Pun and I have one more. In the same way, if I mine up a ton of Gold, the Earth has one ton less of Gold and I have one more. The Growth system of Economics is going to come crashing down, certainly within the lifetime of Sproglet or her offspring.

Also, Vegan products are not inherently better for the environment. Vegan clothing often replaces leather with plastic. And just because you eat fruit and veg, the carbon footprint needs to be factored in before one starts making claims.

Shop local, eat local and eat seasonally.