Unpopular opinions you hold

That would actually make sense! I hate masks as well - although I always wore one during the worst bit of the pandemic.

I think full face masks are worse - not getting even a vague idea of the real facial expressions.

1 Like

On playing games on the easiest difficulty: this is what I do as well, especially with Resident Evil games. Easiest mode first, more difficult modes as I get a better feel for the game and whenever I feel like pushing myself a bit.

1 Like

Imperial is a better measuring system than metric for daily use.

2 Likes

The measuring system you grew up with will usually seem easier to you than the other one.

2 Likes

Are you American? As a Canadian I feel it’s the opposite. Most of the reason we use imperial sometimes being due to cultural influence.

Since people are commenting on this and this is the place for unpopular opinions:

• Imperial distance measurements can easily be approximated when you don’t have something to measure with. Feet are roughly the length of your forearm (plus some of your hand if necessary), inches are one segment of your thumb. Even if you don’t have arms, one foot is a foot and a toe is an inch. Centimeters can be approximated, since they’re the width of your fingernail, but they’re tiny so it takes dozens to get anywhere and there’s fleshy bits around the fingernails that make it difficult to use those for measuring.

• Metric distance measurements are either very large (more than half the human body) or very tiny (the width of a fingernail). There is no in-between unless you start using feet or inches because metric had to steal them. I mean, technically you do have decimeters (1/10 meter), but you can’t actually use those because they’re too similarly-named to decameters (10 meters). Because someone wasn’t thinking of human use when they named those.

• I mean really, if you look at the historical definitions of a meter, none of them make sense in daily life. A pendulum that takes one second to swing? Probably somewhat reasonable, since before the age of ubiquitous watches you might have such a pendulum on hand to measure time. One ten-millionth of the arc between the pole and the equator, but only through Paris because the length can vary? Even if you’re from Paris, that definition doesn’t help you much. “The distance between two lines on a standard bar of an alloy of platinum with 10%, measured at the melting point of ice.” …what? “The length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second.” Except we know that light is affected by gravity even when it’s in a vacuum, so this wouldn’t even be consistent. And then they just gave up and said that a meter is a meter because they couldn’t find a good, consistent basis for it. And this is the entire basis of the metric distance system. Feet or inches? Body parts. You always have body parts on hand.

• Some people claim that it makes sense to have the 0 and 100 marks at the freezing and boiling points of water. Freezing water is an important benchmark (it’s the point where you get snow and ice, which the weather naturally does), but boiling really isn’t. Sure, we boil water all the time, but when in your daily life has it been important to know the exact temperature of water when you’re boiling it? Typically, only when you’re working in specific industries (and even then, you’re unlikely to be working with pure water). And the thing people most often measure temperature for is the weather. How useful is it to relate how hot it is outside to how close it is to boiling water?

• Plus, the boiling point of water isn’t even consistent, since it changes with air pressure. Also, the freezing/melting point varies based on mass of water, even if you’re talking about 100% pure water. In short, the only places where this is true are laboratory conditions at sea level.

• While Celcius’s 0-100 range is based off of approximations of where water makes phase changes, Fahrenheit’s 0-100 is closer to being based off of typical weather patterns, which is what most people use it for. 100 degrees is where things start to get seriously dangerous outside, and if your body temperature is 100 degrees, then you have a fever. 0 degrees Fahrenheit is also based off the temperature: it was the lowest temperature recorded in Fahreneheit’s (the person’s) hometown in winter. While it’s not quite as useful as it could be, it’s definitely closer to that than Celcius, in which half the 0-100 scale doesn’t even get used most of the time.

• If people ever moved to Base 12 or Base 16 math (which are both better to use in scientific settings for ease of conversion) rather than Base 10 (basically, we only have it because the average person has ten fingers), it would completely destroy metric.

• Speaking of which, all of you are perfectly fine with making conversions when it comes to time measurements. 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour, 60 seconds in a minute. Convert 13497 seconds to simpler units. That being said, if you moved to Base 12, you could actually have time measurements that are easier to convert.

Also, I frequently play games which use metric rather than imperial. Oxygen Not Included, for instance. In that environment, it does make sense to use those measurements because it was built to work off of metric (one game tile is half a meter, you do actually have to worry about boiling water as an environmental hazard). It does have an option to use imperial, but in that game, it’s less tailored to the environment so it doesn’t really work. Similarly, a game environment that uses feet as the primary units of measurement wouldn’t work very well with metric measurements.

1 Like

Nope, not touching that with a three meter pole.

5 Likes

Probably for the best. If you’re in for 2.54 centimeters, you’re in for 1.609344 kilometers.

3 Likes

There’s a famous story about an event which was called the Gimi Glider. It’s has to do when Canada switched from one measurement system to another measurement system so the pilot’s math was off.

1 Like

My favourite holidays are those spent solo, no wife, no family and no friends. Seriously just sod off and leave me alone.

3 Likes

I would love to have a full week (or 2-3 weeks) expericng Disney World in full with meals in the park. And also buying a ton of in-park snacks. And also staying in a Disney resort as well.

Frankly I think it would be too boring to argue this, besides that I doubt either of us will be convinced either way lol, but I would like to say that I don’t really find any of those arguments to be all that meaningful. For example, never in my life have I needed to approximate the length of anything using my arm.

(also in case this doesn’t come across over text, I mean this discussion all in good fun)

4 Likes

Also, it may be a good discussion to know; however, it can now be something I have learned today.

I grew up with both metric (taught in school) and imperial (used by parents etc) and I agree with most of this. Being comfortable with both, I just use whichever is most convenient at any given moment.

So I tend to measure small distances in feet and inches, but longer ones in metres. For walking type distances both miles and km are fine, though I tend to use miles simply because speed limits are in mph. Similarly, both pints and litres are measurements I understand, but for bodyweight I work in stones because both kg and pounds are meaningless big numbers.

And that’s actually the advantage of Celsius; the range you’re dealing with at normal weather temperatures is small, and 0 is a very understandable point. 25 is light cotton and iced water temperature; -5 is big coat and hat and gloves and scarf. F is, like lb and kg, just meaningless big numbers.

5 Likes

I hard disagree, Fahrenheit is better entirely because it’s more granular than Centigrade. Length and mass measurements, I care less about the difference but temperature is pretty definitive to me.

1 Like

I can vaguely remember lessons which I think were efforts by my primary school to teach us some basics of the imperial system before switching exclusively to metric in the late 80’s. As the only system I’ve been taught, I find base 10 quite intuitive but then I’m sure if I had been taught Imperial instead I’d feel differently.

One thing that I do still find odd though is the frequent references to imperial systems throughout the country - speeds are in MPH, distances and heights are often given in miles, feet and inches, beer is served in pints etc. The inconsistency bugs me a bit and feels like a bit of a half-measure.

1 Like

No, a half measure would be 12.5 ml, 17.5 ml or 25 ml depending on the pub :wink:

Actually, I’ve often thought how useful a base-12 system would be. It’s much easier to work with halves, thirds and quarters in base-12 (where they’re 6, 4 and 3 respectively) than in base-10 (5, 3.33… and 2.5).

3 Likes

And, as I mentioned before: in Base 12, a day is 20 hours, an hour is 50 minutes, and a minute is 50 seconds. Wouldn’t even need to change the length of time to do it. A year would also be 305 days. Can’t really do much about the five days to make it more even, though.

2 Likes

Most thermometers in Celsius are actually more granular than Fahrenheit, as they have a decimal. The human body, for example, has a typical body heat of 37.5C (which, coincidentally, you will notice is 3/8s of the way between freezing and boiling water). Same for the temperature indicator on a weather station; it won’t just say it’s 25C outside, it’ll say 25.3C.

You seem very hung up on precision, though. And I get that. But in most daily cases precision to that scale just doesn’t matter. Let’s say your local grocery store is five miles away. Have you measured that down to a fraction of an inch, or is five miles as useful of an approximation as eight kilometers?

We learn to eyeball things and estimate their sizes based on that. If you need to cut four table legs to an exact length you’ll get a measuring tool, and it doesn’t matter if you cut them to 98.2 cm or 39 inches as long as all four legs are the exact same height and that’s the height you want for your table.

Many things get rounded off to the nearest easy number. City speed limits are 50 km/h and … I think 35 mph? Something like that? They are not exactly the same, but they are very close and are easy numbers to remember where perfect precision doesn’t really matter anyway.

2 Likes

The five extra days go at the end of the year as an intermission. We all just chill at home, have some snacks, catch up on sleep. Give ourselves some time to mentally prepare for another year.

3 Likes