Units of Confusion

The commentary on this story reminded me of an old question I had:

(Their Entitlement Wouldn't Fit Into A Car)

The symbol for most units of measurement follow the expressed value. For example:

Mass: 50 Kg
Temperature: 50°
Volume: 50 L
Length: 50 M
Velocity: 50 MPH

And so forth. So why does the symbol for a unit of currency precede the value instead of follow it?

1 Like

I think it might be because all yours aren’t symbols, but letters. For money, they are actually symbols.

As for the temperature, the 50° doesn’t really mean anything. It’s either 50°F or 50°C (or 50K) , which both again are letters.

1 Like

Well yeah but the letters have symbolic meaning. Also the degree symbol is definitely a symbol, it’s just modified by the system of choice.

Let’s say we were talking about angles / gradient rather than temperature, that would still be the right symbol.

1 Like

The letters are abbreviations, not symbols.

You are right about the degrees though, didn’t think of it like that.

1 Like

OK, accepting that the letters are abbreviations, then when the units of measurement are spoken / written they follow the value they are measuring:

Mass: 50 Kilograms
Volume: 50 Litres
Length: 50 Meters
Velocity: 50 Miles per Hour

Degrees are the same whether they are measuring temperature or gradient:

Temperature: °Celsius - Degrees Celsius
Gradient: ° - Degrees

This is not the same for currency i.e. you would write £50 but say ‘Fifty Pounds’ rather than ‘Pounds Fifty’. It just seems like an interesting exception to a general rule to me and I’ve never found a definitive explanation.

2 Likes

I actually know the answer to this one. Its to make forging numbers harder in the era of hand written accounting.

For instance if something was written as 24.75$ it could be modified to say 124.75$. By putting the currency sign on the left and the decimals on the right you essentially bracket the value and make it generally harder to forge/edit.

7 Likes

That makes complete sense! Do you know how it came about - was it from some sort of global / industry consensus or did someone just start doing it that way and it caught on?

1 Like

Its been a while since I read that particular random fact so I might be wrong. But I think I recall it being a British standard that spread via British East India company/ colonialism and became standard practice.

1 Like

Its interesting that we don’t apply that practice to fractional currency though isn’t it? Fifty pence is expressed as 50p

You’d think it would be easy to convert that into £50o or £50.o or just £50 dependent on the author’s handwriting,

I think that 50p is more for conversation and other casual uses. When the transaction occurs it’s always expressed as £0.50 on the receipt and, presumably, on the till and computer system.

50p for the public, £0.50 for the accounts.

1 Like

Usually people don’t write things like 550p. If someone did do that, it’s either an obvious forgery or a math problem.

The US and Canada do have a symbol for cents, ¢, but nobody ever uses it. It also comes after the number, like 99¢.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.