Tired of fake story submissions? Make your own with artificial intelligence!

I’m sure some of you have heard of ChatGPT by now. For the uninitiated, ChatGPT is a conversational AI language model by OpenAI that can generate all sorts of text responses, from simple trivia answers, poems and lyrics, text adventures, source code and all sorts of other funky stuff. The cool thing about it is that it’s not just any old chatbot like Cleverbot. It actually remembers the flow of the conversation you had with it, so you can build upon what you’ve asked it before, without ending up going in circles. It’s fun to play around with to see what it can come up with.

Though be advised, if you want to have a go at it to ask for specific advice, it will be confidently wrong about stuff as well. It’s trained from publicly available information on the internet. It’s most interesting to ask it about stuff you personally have some expertise in, to see how accurate it is, so don’t go asking it for medical or legal advice.

Anyway, I got the idea to ask it to write me a story in the style of NAR submissions, and this was its response first response (text copy below the image, so people don’t have to struggle with the image on mobile devices):

It was a typical weekday afternoon at the coffee shop where I work. The place was packed with customers, all looking for their caffeine fix. One of the regulars, a man in his mid-40s, walked up to the counter and placed his order.

“I’ll have a venti black coffee, please,” he said.

I prepared the coffee and handed it over to him. He took a sip, and then looked at me with a confused expression on his face.

“There’s something wrong with this coffee,” he said. “It tastes funny.”

I apologized and offered to make him a new one, but he insisted that there was something wrong with the beans we were using.

“I’m sorry, sir, but we use the same beans every day,” I explained. “There’s nothing wrong with them.”

The man became increasingly agitated and began to raise his voice.

“Well, I’m telling you, there’s something wrong with these beans!” he exclaimed. “I demand to speak to the manager!”

I tried to calm him down, but he was having none of it. He continued to rant and rave, causing a scene in the shop. Eventually, the manager came over to see what was going on.

The man launched into a tirade about the “bad” beans, and the manager patiently listened and tried to explain that there was nothing wrong with them. Finally, after several minutes of back and forth, the man stormed out of the shop, still muttering about the beans.

I couldn’t believe the ridiculousness of the situation. It was just a cup of coffee, after all. But some people will find any excuse to make a scene, I guess.

5 Likes

That’s fantastic and horrifying. One could submit this and not be accused of being fake as it doesn’t contain any of the “fake story bingo” elements.

4 Likes

Yup AI and automation is going to change society in an unfathomable way. Not necessarily bad but not necessarily good either just a pretty fundamental shift in how society works.

2 Likes

I saw an interesting article describing how an autistic man was prompting a chat AI in order to write professional-sounding emails to his customers. Pretty awesome!

2 Likes

It’s fascinating what AI can do, and I’m interested to see how it’s going to change our jobs. I mean it’s not nearly as dramatic as the industrial revolution, but it’s going to change how many of us do our jobs, and potentially eliminate a lot of positions as it evolves.
I know not everyone is going to have the same opinion but I’m very excited/fascinated to see how jobs change in the next couple of decades from the dramatic amount of things AI and other automation systems can do.

3 Likes

My two cents is im very concerned and optomistic. I think an automated society will be better than where we are now but I think between here and there is going to be rough.

Id argue it would be on par with industrial revolution with regards to the amount of advancement in productivity per person but the consequences would be different.

100 years ago if you had 100 employees that could service 10,000 people a year and then some innovation made them all twice as productive you would keep the 100 employees and double your customers. But now if say Amazon doubles their productivity there arent double the customers for them to reach, they are already globalized. So they would cut employees instead.

In the US right not about 30% of jobs are $15/hr or less. You would be hard pressed to find a $15/hr job that couldnt technically be automated in some way with current tech levels. They arent economical to automate and would need huge R&D and other upfront costs but it requires an economic change not a major scientific breakthrough. Over time automation gets cheaper so eventually that economic shift will happen. Add in AI and you have more jobs that just dont need as many people. There is no current social/government that could deal with 30+% unemployment.

Longterm I think this leads to UBI, a change in the social role jobs play, and a society approaching post-scarcity that is a better situation. But the growing pains to get from here to there will be very hard for a lot of people unfortunately.

5 Likes

Honestly, we should just institute a UBI right now. We (in the US) are wasting a ridiculous amount of money evaluating people for whether they deserve benefits, monitoring people on benefits to look for an excuse to kick them off, and separating benefits into multiple programs and forcing people to apply to them separately and get re-evaluated every single time. This harms a great deal of genuine applicants, wastes money that could be better spent on the programs themselves, and only catches a handful of scammers.

As you say, eventually we won’t have a choice. Might as well do it before society crashes. And before people decide to do stupid things like getting rid of the minimum wage to create more jobs (that nobody can afford to live off of, not solving the poverty problem, and will result in many established workers getting fired and replaced with cheaper new workers, making the problem worse).

3 Likes

But whenever people suggest about UBI -people ask “Where will money come from?”

Same place they pull it out from when they need to give big companies billions of dollars to keep them from going out of business. But somehow the money avenues are dried up when it comes to giving the common folk money and they suddenly need to scrimp and save. What a mystery.

4 Likes

But then these people claim but that’s means higher taxes! But higher taxes means everyone can live comfortable and no one is stuck in Dickensian hellholes. Or these people claim it’s commusim

2 Likes

Curiously, yesterday’s SMBC comic is quite topical.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.