Thoughts for those in the UK & Canada

I just want you to know you’re in my thoughts.

6 Likes

I want to find out if the new King, Charles is going to be King Charles (III) or chose one of his other names (George, Arthur, Phillip) as his reginal name due to the “bad luck” of the previous two King Charles. It’s not uncommon in his family to do so. Both his Great-grandpa (Edward VII) and his grandpa (George VI) changed their names to another one of their names when they came to the throne. His great-uncle (Edward VII) also. As did Queen Victoria her first name was actually Alexandria Victoria was a middle name. If I remember both Edward VII, Edward VIII and George VI first names were actually Albert.

But I also wonder how many people will get confused when Camilla is going to be referred to as “Queen”. When the only queen most of us have either known was Queen Regnant Elizabeth? As opposed to Queen Consort (like Queen Mother, or Queen Mary)

Camilla is now known as the Queen Consort. This is official.

7 Likes

RIP, Your Majesty. Thank you for your life of service.

Long live The King.

7 Likes

That was by HM The Queen’s express wish. I think she wanted to make sure that Camilla was accepted as Consort.

3 Likes

Wow, this was fast! I remember seeing the news that the family were flying in, and thought this was coming. I’m still surprised she passed today.

May she rest in peace

6 Likes

Sorry I guess you might have misunderstood me. about the Queen Consort business. In the over two years of the Viral yuck I had been watching occasionally stuff about Windsors (aka the UK Royal family) and when the the video said that Camila (or at much future Date, William’s wife Kate) will become Queen there were comments saying that “Camila/Kate will never become Queen” so that others like myself had to point out that there’s are two types of Queens -Queen Regnant (like Elizabeth II whom just died) and Queen Consorts (Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth, whom most of us whom were born post-1952 known as “Queen Mother”),

So I’m just was saying I’m wondering how many people will get confused once Camilla is being called Queen, when the only (British) Queen we basically all knew, was a Queen Regnant?

She won’t be known as Queen Camilla or Queen. You don’t abbreviate royal titles. Her title is Queen Consort.

The late Queen’s husband was not King Phillip, but Prince Phillip, or the Duke of Edinburgh.

There may be a brief period of people getting used to the titles, but that will pass

6 Likes

I can’t make my brain process this. No Queen Elizabeth? That’s just… wrong.

Journey well, journey free, Your Majesty. May you find your peace.

7 Likes

Queen Elizabeth ll was never Queen Regent. She was Queen Regnant. They are very different things.
A Regent rules on behalf of someone else. Queen Elizabeth was always Queen in her own right.

5 Likes

I know. It’s unbelievable

4 Likes

She was Queen before my parents were born.

3 Likes

I don’t really want to argue with her. But technically she will be just known as “Queen Camilla” since last I checked, we don’t call consorts of kings “Queen Consort (name)”. Like Edward VII’s wife ( Elizabeth II’s great-grandpa) was known as “Queen Alexandria” Not “Queen Consort Alexandria” and George V’s (Grandpa) wife, was called “Queen Mary” not “Queen Consort Mary” and until Elizabeth II came to the throne, her mother was known as “Queen Elizabeth” not “Queen Consort Elizabeth”

And there been rules (I think) ever since Queen Victoria’s time about why we don’t call consorts of Queen Regents Kings. Queen Victoria supposedly wanted to make Albert King but she was bullied by Parliament supposedly into instead making him a Prince Albert. I think its so people wouldn’t assume that Albert (or Prince Phillip) had the higher title?

I might be wrong though

1 Like

that’s what I meant

1 Like

Well this was a weird thread to read… I didn’t even know she’d been particularly ill or anything recently.

2 Likes

They just announced today they were concerned for her health.

3 Likes

Mine too, by so many years.

1 Like

The title “Queen” is reserved for the reigning monarch. As the monarch is now King Charles (no idea if he is keeping the name), his wife gets a different title. Back in February, Queen Elizabeth said it was her wish that Camilla be known as Camilla, Queen Consort. So unless we get told otherwise, that is her name. But considering the Palace are already referring to her as The Queen Consort, i think we can say that’s a given.

Now, you can call her Queen Camilla if you want, but you would be wrong. And i wouldn’t recommend it, as calling people by the wrong name is considered impolite. Rather like when i introduce myself as Stephen to someone and they immediately call me Steve, i will consider that person incredibly rude and/or thoughtless. (Calling me Not Simon is a different matter!)

Edited: typo

5 Likes

It may have been a stroke or something, it could be that she’s just kinda been feeling poorly but not “sick”. It was definitely “sudden” but man I mean she was 96.
It’s just kinda weird to think about and interesting to see how England is going to change in our lifetimes.

4 Likes

A little while back, the news channel on YouTube, TLDR News released a video explaining what will happen when the Queen dies. This video should give you an idea of how things are likely to play out over the coming weeks.

3 Likes