This Artist Drove My Parents Loony Tunes

A story I saw on Reddit today reminded me of an experience my family and I had years ago.

Around 40 years ago my family and I were at Willow Grove Mall, a mall near where we lived. As we were walking around we saw that the frame shop had an artist there doing caricatures of kids for free, figuring that parents would buy frames to put the picture in. There weren’t a lot of people there since he had just begun. So we went over and waited. We waited and waited and waited. We watched families who had come after us have their kids pictures done. We were visible. He knew we were there. But for some reason he just never waved either my brother nor me over.

Finally, my mom had enough. She said something like we have been here a while and you keep passing over my two kids. I don’t remember what his reply was but we got our pictures done and of course we got them framed. My parents still have them.

3 Likes

Hm. If I’d been waiting I’d probably have gone up and asked if we could go next before that much time passed?

2 Likes

You’re right. I mean my mom is pretty patient. I was like 10 or so and my brother was 7.

2 Likes

He certainly knew how to draw things out

2 Likes

Maybe he thought he was being framed.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.