Things you've been puzzled about

I know there’s a lot of things in this world that are bewildering or puzzling, so here’s a chance to see if anyone can give clarification for others.

I’ll start…

Why do some of the topics on here have different colour post counts?

1 Like

Grey - Regular post count.

Dark orange - Thread has a decent ratio of likes to posts.

Bright orange - High ratio likes of posts.

6 Likes

I’ve a question that has had me thinking about creating such a post for AGES

Whenever i go to the barbers, at the end of it I’m always handed a tissue. Not offered, handed. I’ve never needed it, but I’ve always taken it out of politeness.

Is there anything I’m expected to be doing with this tissue, or are these given just in case???

Downvoting - why is it an option on the site and what is it meant to be used for?

There seem to be 3 main types of downvote:

1. I don’t like this person and so I am going to downvote everything they post.
  2. I disagree with this person so I am going to downvote their original comment and every subsequent reply. However I will engage them in debate / argument to tell them why they are wrong!
  3. Drive-by downvoters.

I don’t really care when I get downvoted although I will confess to be a bit of irritation when its someone with a contrary opinion who can’t just engage in a conversation without downvoting people.

However #1 feels like bullying and #3 just seems like a waste of time. I’m very curious about what the editors make of it.

3 Likes

That has literally never happened to me - does this happen with all the barbers you visit or do you attend the same one regularly?

1 Like

To clean up spare hairs, any remains of shaving cream, or possibly blood?

2 Likes

Ive gotten that when Ive gotten a shave at the barbers for shaving cream/soap. But never if I was just getting a haircut.

1 Like

Maybe it’s in case your nose gets twitchy from the hair being cut and you want to blow your nose?

1 Like

This has happened when i was living in Suffolk, in Milton Keynes, and in Coventry.

Maybe I’ve always had a bogey hanging from my nose and i never noticed…?

1 Like

take the hint, Stephen, take the hint…

3 Likes

Why are genitals’ names in such low regard that they are being used as insults to people, for being a jerk (for the male one) or a coward (for a female one)?
Is this some kind of sexist metonymy, i.e. that, classically, women are supposed to be cowards and men are supposed to be jerks?

1 Like

The slang term starting with a D for the male anatomy used to be used as a verb, meaning that the police were keeping an eye on someone. It started to be used in its’ current version in about the 1960s, I think.

2 Likes

The purpose is to have a way of driving bad comments to the bottom. If you only used likes, then maybe nobody else has posted anything that’s deserving of many likes, so the person being rude or bigoted doesn’t get pushed down just because they’re not being liked.

2 Likes

I’ve got a book, “Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise”, that has a bunch of little questions like this, as well as detailed researched answers. It’s quite a fun read, if you’re into that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Ooh, is the answer because the shadow on a sundial moves clockwise?

1 Like

Would make sense actually!

1 Like

I asked my husband. He says that when he last went, he was given a tissue to wipe the back of his neck, like @KiannaMcDowell said.

1 Like

Thanks!

Indeed it is! And apparently sundials in the southern hemisphere go the other way - if clocks were invented in Australia, they might run counterclockwise!

2 Likes

No, it would still be clockwise… just the other way!

4 Likes