The Minefield Quiz: Game 3

Q1 Brad Dourif’s debut film role earned him a BAFTA and Golden Globe, as well as an Oscar nomination. What was the film?

Q2 Which song, written by Prince, was performed by Sinéad O’Connor on her second album I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got?

Q3 What are the only members of the genus Bradypus?

Q4 Who wrote the novel The Fourth Protocol, which was later turned into a film starring Michael Caine and Pierce Brosnon?

Q5 In Ten-pin bowling, how many pins in total will you have knocked down if you have scored a spare?

Q6 The Australian flag and the Kosovo flag have something altogether stellar in common… what is it?

Q7 What the names of the Seven Dwarfs in the 1937 Walt Disney classic film?

Q8 If a Bingo Caller shouted “One Fat Lady” or “Garden Gate”, what number would they mean?

Q9 How is the rapper Derrick Keyes better known?

Q10: How are the following names connected? The calendar named for Julius Caesar; the Grayson character played by Burt Ward to Adam West’s Bruce Wayne; the jungle character that really should watch out for that tree; Frank, the young diarist who hid with her family in the Achterhuis; Burch, the electric wheelchair user who first appeared in the South Park episode The Tooth Fairy’s Tats.

Quick summary of rules:

Two of the above questions are secretly mined; I hope you like guessing! Submit as many or as few questions (in any order) as you dare by private message to me. Please number your answers. I will mark the answers in the order you send them to me.

If you answer a question that has a mine, it will blow up, regardless of whether or not your answer is right.

If you don’t set off a mine, you will be invited to submit more answers, or lock in your score. If you answer all the non-mine questions correctly, the mines are defused, and you will be invited to answer the mine questions. These mines will not explode, even if you answer them incorrectly.

WARNING: You must wait for me to tell you the mines are defused before attempting them, or they WILL explode. Seriously, you need to wait. If you submit all your answers in one go, your score is going to be really low.

Scoring: all questions are worth one point each. For every question you attempt, your multiplier will increase by one. E.g. attempt five questions, and your multiplier is five. Your score is the number of questions you get right multiplied by the multiplier. If a mine blows up, your multiplier drops to one.

You only get one attempt at each question. Also, watch out for the automatic numbering system; I strongly recommend you preface your answers with the letter A: e.g. A1, A5, A7 etc. If you realise you’ve got it wrong, edit your message to me. Do not rely on me telling you the numbering is wrong, as I’m not doing that (sorry!). I will always wait at least one hour before marking, so you have a bit of time. Once I’ve “liked” your post, it means I’ve started marking, so please don’t change anything after that point.

A full breakdown of the rules, plus a sample game, may be found here. There is also a trial game for you to go at (if you wish) before you play for real, which may be found here.

EDIT NOTES:

14/06/22 - Q7. “What are the names of” was “Who are” - changed to make the question less ambiguous as to what I’m after.

14/06/22 - Q10. Noticed something about the wording of this one. Added “Grayson” to the question.

Here we go again…

May I have a naval themed explosion if when I snuff it please?

2 Likes

So something like this?

alien-ellen-ripley

Oh, sorry… that’s a navel explosion!

2 Likes

NOTE: Question 7 has been slightly edited. I realised the original wording was a bit ambiguous, so I’ve made a small change.

If anyone answers Q7 in an ambiguous manner because they haven’t noticed the change, I will allow them to re-read and re-submit their answer to that question.

Here we go again! Suit up!

1 Like

What’s the code to do a strike-through? :o

Edit: Google before asking. Google before asking. Google before asking.

1 Like

And I am alive dead at the first hurdle…

2 Likes

Important I’ve revisited Q10 as i wasn’t as happy with the wording as i could have been. Anyone who has submitted an answer to Q10 will be invited to revisit their answer and amend it if they wish.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how do you guys pick your numbers?

My strategy: “Honey pick x-numbers between 1 and 10!”

1 Like

Day 1 Summary

I have three people actively testing the ground for mines…

PessimisticBaggyElephantbeetle-max-1mb

…at least one person who successfully found a mine

stuck-body-cast

…but no one who has locked in their scores yet. That might change in a little bit, as the three active players have all submitted answers, and I am about to start marking

2 Likes

If anyone wants to enter who hasn’t as yet, please feel free to do so!

Sorry… my marking will have to wait, as the site went down just after I posted. It’s back now, but my lunch break has finished.

Honestly, I will get around to it!

2 Likes

No stress

1 Like

I think I’m up to date with marking. If anyone has submitted answers and it’s been more than an hour, please ping me!

Day 2 Summary

We have one active player:

giphy (10)

Of the inactive players, we have a few that have stopped, because they are happy with the score they achieved:

cef2ce655eb9740cb8d7c126cf0d5992_w200

…and a few that stopped because they found something unexpected.

09befe24fd40c3b97866dd37f568ea50

1 Like

The game is still open, if anyone wishes to start playing. @Lola, @Valiant_Potato, @weatherby2378 & @grondmaster: would you like to join this game too?

I’m not saying :slight_smile: just that it’s not random.

1 Like

Day 3 Summary

No active players

empty-john-travolta

Of the inactive players, some are somewhat frustrated:

tumblr_mmhlbn6U1m1s3774fo1_500

Whereas other are just happy to be…

john-travolta-saturday-night-fever

…Stayin’ Alive

2 Likes

Final score for Game 3

@AthenaCat 100 points (defused all mines)

@RebeccaBlue 100 points (defused all mines)

@Celoptra 16 points (locked in score)

@Sillsallad 16 points (locked in score)

@AlienToasterRepairs 1 point (discovered active mine)

@CJR 1 point (discovered active mine)

Well done to AthenaCat and RebeccaBlue who are both joint winners and who have nerves of steel!

2 Likes

WOW!

Great job, @AthenaCat and @RebeccaBlue !!

3 Likes