The Minefield Quiz: Game 1

Q1 Tokyo is the capital city of which country?

Q2 How many James Bond films did Pierce Brosnan appear in?

Q3 Real name Sidney, briefly named Arnold, sometimes performs as Alastair and originally called “Wheel-Stealer” in an unaired advert, what name is this much loved character most commonly known by?

Q4 Every one of the first twenty-two films in the Pixar series included which actor?

Q5 Egypt is famous for its pyramids, but which country has the most?

Q6 England, Wales and which country make up Great Britain?

Q7 If I had Coulrophobia, what would I not want to see?

Q8 “Gee, Officer Krupke” is a song from which musical?

Q9 How many moons does Mars have?

Q10 The following are connected somehow: what is the connection? The second studio album by serpentwithfeet; the month which has the modern Zodiac signs of Taurus and Gemini; the ultimate destination of the MESSENGER probe; the singer who has a Blank Space and has to Shake It Off.

Quick summary of rules:

Two of the above questions are secretly mined; no, I’m not saying which. Submit as many or as few questions (in any order) as you dare by private message to me. Please number your answers. I will mark the answers in the order you send them to me.

If you answer a question that has a mine, it will blow up, regardless of whether or not your answer is right.

If you don’t set off a mine, you will be invited to submit more answers, or lock in your score. If you answer all the non-mine questions correctly, the mines are defused, and you will be invited to answer the mine questions. These mines will not explode, even if you answer them incorrectly.

WARNING: You must wait for me to tell you the mines are defused before attempting them, or they WILL explode.

Scoring: all questions are worth one point each. For every question you attempt, your multiplier will increase by one. E.g. attempt five questions, and your multiplier is five. Your score is the number of questions you get right multiplied by the multiplier. If a mine blows up, your multiplier drops to one.

You only get one attempt at each question. Also, watch out for the automatic numbering system; I strongly recommend you preface your answers with the letter A: e.g. A1, A5, A7 etc. If you realise you’ve got it wrong, edit your message to me. Do not rely on me telling you the numbering is wrong, as I’m not doing that (sorry!). I will always wait at least one hour before marking, so you have a bit of time. Once I’ve “liked” your post, it means I’ve started marking, so please don’t change anything after that point.

A full breakdown of the rules, plus a sample game, may be found here. There is also a trial game for you to go at (if you wish) before you play for real, which may be found here

Update on game play

I have received answer(s) from @CJR; they are still in the game.

Reminder: players may be submitting answers in any order, so any inference you make from these updates as to whether or not a question is mined is entirely on you!

Update on game play

I have received answer(s) from @CJR and @RebeccaBlue; they are still in the game.

@AthenaCat also submitted answers…

tumblr_df4f9c080847bd13208d58490ce6d784_2a23b878_1280.gif

Reminder: players may be submitting answers in any order, so any inference you make from these updates as to whether or not a question is mined is entirely on you!

Are the same questions mined for every player?

1 Like

Mines are the same for everyone. I dare not try to do it different for each player, as i might get muddled up and unfairly blow the wrong person up.

As it is, in writing the above summary, i accidentally swapped AthenaCat and RebeccaBlue around! Fortunately i noticed before posting. Now, imagine me trying to do different mines for everyone…

1 Like

Is it fair if we know who bombed out already? You could use that info ti figure out which questions were most likely to be answered :thinking:

2 Likes

Unless the victims reveal the questions bombed out on, we wouldn’t know. After all, we don’t know what questions were answered or the order answered in.

2 Likes

This is why i include this:

You don’t know the order, nor how many questions asked.

I also think revealing who’s out could make it easier for everyone else, as I’m 60% sure I figured out where one of the bombs is from who is out already. Obviously not going to say which one and why while the game is still going, but still.

1 Like

I’ll bear that in mind for the future. I’ll wait until tomorrow before i post my next summary.

But i will say that people have been submitting in a random order, and multiple answers. Infer from what you see at your peril…

I did know thay we can choose the order, but you could still use the bombs and compare the questions and the players’ general interest. It’s not a fool proof thing, but it could be an advantage

2 Likes

You could make it anonymous.

“So far 3 players have entered the mine field, two are still in the game”

2 Likes

I mentioned this over my DM discussion with @Stephen but am opening it here to others too:

I have an issue with the way the mines are defined. All we know is that there are two mines spread across the 10 questions. If we make uneducated guesses, that’s 45 different combinations. That’s way more time required than what anyone would be willing to spend on it.

And what if Q1 is a mine? Many of us would go serially and start with easy questions, so if we answer that first, we’re out altogether with a score of 1? Is that fair?

I would recommend two ideas that can mitigate this challenge:

1. If you still want to continue with undefined mines, have an escape clause. Attempt all 10 questions together, and if all 10 are correct, the mines are defused. If even one is wrong, mines are active and you score normally. It’s a risk, but one worth taking.
  2. Give clues to the questions that are mines. Make them tougher than the rest of the batch. The quiz taker answers the clues and keeps them to themselves, and guesses based on those answers which questions of the main batch are mined. Based on that, they can avoid releasing those answers first.

Here’s the response I gave @grondmaster

I take your point, and these are things I did consider when creating this game.

The problem comes down to trying not to get everyone having the top score. One of the reasons I avoided doing your first suggestion was because then everyone could potentially get the top score.

Your second suggestion would again lead to a similar problem, only potentially worse. Those who would like to discover what the mines are but don’t know the answer to the really tricky ones might decide not to play at all. Knowing that there are people who will get them all correct and that they themselves don’t know all the answers could put them off.

Hence my approach to this game: the more you answer, the higher your score will be… or the greater the chance you crash and burn. Yes, it does mean that there will be some who unfortunately hit the mine straight away. But everyone is presented with that same one in five chance.

To be honest I like the format of the game as it stands. I suppose the only mercy clause I would accept seeing is The Sporting Chance where you can’t get blown up on your first question. The others are fair game. Even so, everybody gets the same odds and I do like that.

Message found in fragments and pieced together by bomb disposal experts.

3 Likes

Day one summary!

I have one active player trying to avoid stepping in the wrong place…

giphy (9)

A few that weren’t so lucky…

explosion-boom

And at least one who was able to retire with their score intact.

giphy (8)

If there is anyone else who wishes to join in the fun, please feel free to do so!

3 Likes

I’m still going to try

Day Two Summary

No active players:

b145aced-4f1d-43a0-9e03-c39928a39b1e_screenshot

Mainly because:

CluelessBowedHorsemouse-size_restricted

Although there is at least one player sitting comfortably:

hqdefault (5)

There is still time to enter!

2 Likes

Quick question:

When should I close out this game and start the next one?

Should I close once I have no active players and at least one day with no new entries?

Or should I wait until I no active players, at least one day with no new entries and it is at least one week since I started the previous game?

Or something else?

I’ve no strong opinions; the next game is written, and can be posted as early as tomorrow, during my lunch break.

I’ve had a further think about the suggested changes that have been made so far. I do appreciate you all coming up with these ideas, even if I don’t adopt them. So please, for goodness sake, don’t think I am the dismissive sort!

Before I go any further, I want to make my approach to this game very clear: everyone gets exactly the same chances, everyone is presented with the same information, and the game is simple to explain. If one person gets something, EVERYONE gets that something. So there won’t be any letting you carry on after the first mine if it explodes on your first guess unless everyone gets let off if it goes off.

I am really not keen on the whole “Answer all questions in one go and hope for the best approach” for a number of reasons. Firstly, as the questions aren’t supposed to be that difficult, it would be very easy for everyone to get top marks. Another issue I have (and this is more a personal gut feeling), playing that way feels very much like blindly firing a machine gun at a wall, then afterwards drawing targets around the holes so they are all bulls-eyes. You might have the appearance of doing well, but you achieved it without really trying.

I don’t want to make the mine questions very difficult to answer as that practically flags up which ones are the mines (thus defeating the object of hiding mines), and because difficulty is subjective. It might be common knowledge for lots of people what a turtle changes into in Pokemon, but I wouldn’t have the faintest idea. Similarly, if I were to be asked who played a companion of the Sixth and Eighth Doctors as well as doing the voiceover work for Masterchef, I’d have no problem answering straight away… but I doubt there are many on here who would know that.

I can understand the frustration of getting blown up on the first go is that you miss out on the rest of that game. It’s a bit like getting bowled out on your first ball in cricket, or in baseball getting three strikes without ever hitting a ball and thus spending all your time on the bench. All geared up to play, and an anticlimactic end before you even get started.

Now, I could make some allowances, but as I said before it would have to apply to everyone, regardless of whether it is on their first guess or their seventh. If I were to do that, it would be in a manner like this:

• The first time you hit a mine, your multiplier resets to one. You can continue, but the last mine will never defuse, even if you answer all the other questions correctly. In other words, the max score you can get is 9.

• If you continue playing, and hit the other mine, your multiplier is completely destroyed and is now worth zero. In other words, your score for that game will be 0 x number right, which means that regardless of how many you got right prior to setting off the second mine, your score is now zero.

The reason I am reluctant to go down this route is it makes the explanation a bit more complicated. At the moment, it is borderline acceptable. As it is, I still had a couple of people who missed/forgot/ignored extremely important rules of the game, and got blown up as a result.

The more I add to the game, the more rules I have to add, and if I’m not careful the rules become such a word salad that people won’t want to play.

And anyone who has read this far into this post can see how easily I get carried away when writing.

What I would prefer to do is to stick with the current method for at least one more go, and wait until after that until I make any changes, be it the one I’ve suggested above, or something different.

2 Likes