Surprising Story Receptions

Missed this one. As someone who still loves to “make a big deal” out of my birthday but has social anxiety, this is a double whammy. I’d be pretty upset if it was obvious it was my birthday and people purposefully ignored it, and I’d probably be in tears if I was cornered like the shy girl was. So glad I never had teachers or classmates like that in school.

4 Likes

I remember getting angry about that one myself.

2 Likes

Just got pinged to this. Comments are in equal measure annoyed at the OP not asking the question that they wanted answering, and the apparent missing bits of the story at the start.

3 Likes

Two pretty recent stories that might belong here:

Like @Istvan_Kiss commented: This might be a case for a “No one is right” tag. The surprising part is that OP is included in this for just walking away and letting the cashiers deal with the angry customers.

This one from yesterday reads like some “they banned the wrong person” story. But people are pointing out that we don’t know what OP actually said. So it might be that the store is right after all.

5 Likes

Russian To Conclusions » (notalwaysright.com)

1 Like

Two things stand out in the comments here. First, trying to keep the husky off the couch to begin with. This is a bit controversial, with some pointing out that large dog breeds can be harmful to people on the couch, like toddlers. Also some are getting a bit PETA-ish. Still, a lot of people seem to be on the side of working around the pet - making it impossible for the pet to do bad things or reducing the effects of what you don’t like about the pet’s behavior - rather than enforcing strict rules and punishments to prevent the pet from doing something. Because if you’re the arbiter of what the animal can do, they’ll just do it when you’re not there to stop them. See: cats that behave perfectly when you’re there and then jump up on the counter to eat all the bread when you’re not.

Second, enforcing rules with the use of a mousetrap. While OP doesn’t specify which kind they’re using, the fact that they go snap suggests that it’s a springloaded trap. If the dog put any of his parts in there - nose, feet, ears, tongue and so on - then the trap could snap shut on them. At the very least, that would be painful to the dog. It’s also possible one of the humans in the house might sit down without thinking about it.

9 Likes

I’m disturbed by the whole ‘I nearly hit him’ thing.

7 Likes

Yeah this should have an animal cruelty tag even if the Husky did spot and remove the traps - because those springloaded traps are designed to Break small bones to kill mice quickly - this would easily break bones in a paw or tail.

2 Likes

Got pinged to this old story. Store owner is painted as a meany who hates kids in her store. But given how all everyone behaves, can you blame her?

4 Likes

others watched for the owner to be inattentive so they could pocket things, just to spite her

Indeed, gee, I wonder why she was watching kids closely… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Seems like a chicken-and-egg situation, there.

The egg came first. The egg always came first. Eggs evolved millions of years before chickens

5 Likes

It’s not 100% anti-OP, but those who agree with the OP are few and far between…

4 Likes

It depends. Is the question “did any kind of egg come first” or “did a chicken egg come first”.
In the latter case, it then comes down to how you define a chicken egg. Is a chicken egg an egg which holds a baby chicken or an egg which is laid by a chicken? If the first, the egg came first, because the birds that were not chickens which laid the first chicken laid a chicken egg. If the second, then the chicken came first before laying the first chicken egg.

3 Likes

Another ping… customers were clearly not in the right by parking where it was not permitted. Yet the OP let them remain parked there.

3 Likes

This wasn’t to the taste of the comment section

It was the paintball gun that finally lost me on OP. Laughter wouldn’t be my first reaction, I’d try to calm the situation down or at least minimise the harm and damage that could be done. Particularly a paintball gun where it could be fired at unprotected people and at a food prep area. Anything that got into the kitchen area would risk damage to equipment and would certainly mean closing the store to do a health and safety check.

3 Likes

Even if there are no cart corrals, leaving carts in random parking spaces is rude. The fact that the other guy didn’t realize that there were no corrals doesn’t mean he’s not right.

8 Likes

My Dad when I go shopping with him. the only times he wants me to return the cart to a cart place is if he has to put money in it.

1 Like

What annoys me is when the supermarket has two types of cart, a shallow one and a deep one, and people return them to the cart bay but put them at the end of the stack of the wrong size cart.

Did you not learn your shapes when you were a toddler?!

8 Likes

Some people do that deliberately

1 Like