Surprising Story Receptions

I’d assumed they were called that because the soft ice cream cone with a flake in used to cost £0.99p, but I guess that would have been really expensive, relative to the time in which the name became popular?

2 Likes

There are a few theories around why the ice-cream is called a 99 (although my understanding was that the 99p price point had been debunked). The thing most people are challenging though is the statement in the introduction that the flake sold by itself is called a ‘Flake 99’ because that isn’t how the chocolate is generally marketed or sold in the UK.

2 Likes

I was told it was the 99p thing, which I only remember because my dad would sulk that the ice cream guy sold them for £1 and why can’t they be just one penny less they’re not even 99s anymore.

according to cadbury it’s called a flake 99 because it was used is ice cream from an italian company and “In the days of the monarchy in Italy the King has a specially chosen guard consisting of 99 men, and subsequently anything really special or first class was known as “99” - and that his how “99” Flake came by its name”

2 Likes

To be fair Cadburys offer that as a possible rather than definitive explanation.

Flake 99
The real reason for “99” Flake being so called has been lost in the mists of time,but this is an extract from an article which appeared in a Cadbury works paper many years ago. At a recent Sales conference Mr Berry, a sales manager, told a story of how Flake became associated with ice cream and how “99” Flake came by its name. “When I first came north in 1928 I found that some of the Italian soft ice cream makers in County Durham were trying ways of introducing other lines to increase their sales, which in those days were largely in the form of sandwich wafers. The possibilities were obvious if we could get a suitable line, both in shape and size and texture - and the most promising was Flake, which at that time only sold as a 2d line, and therefore had to be cut with a knife to reduce its size.”
It proved very successful and its popularity quickly spread. After successive introductions of half penny and 1d Flake, both of which were sold with ice cream, the Sales Committee finally agreed to produce a special size to fit the sandwich and Mr Berry visited a number of Italian customers in the area. After this of course the cornet with the Flake placed temptingly in the top of the ice cream became very popular.
In the days of the monarchy in Italy the King has a specially chosen guard consisting of 99 men, and subsequently anything really special or first class was known as “99” - and that his how “99” Flake came by its name.

https://www.cadbury.co.uk/your-question-answered?q=where-do-product-names-come-from#:~:text=In%20the%20days%20of%20the,Flake%20came%20by%20its%20name.

2 Likes

There is no regional name. Throughout the UK, the chocolate bar on its own is a Flake, and has been for at least the last 40 years or so. However an ice cream cone with a Flake in it is a Flake 99; and again, has been for at least the last 40 years. (You will notice that the pack of Flakes you found labelled ‘Flake 99’ is specifically ‘for ice cream and culinary use’, so is entirely consistent with that).

Why that is the name usage I don’t know, but it is.

1 Like

Oh I know it isn’t sold under a regional branding within the UK, I was just wondering whether it was nick-named Flake 99 independent of the ice-cream wherever OP happened to be from. The pack I found caused me to speculate that OP may have seen that branding and become confused.

3 Likes

I must admit, i always knew it as a 99 Flake

3 Likes

So far everyone thinks it being left on a communal table is fair game, and nothing seems amiss

7 Likes

This has only been up for a few minutes, but there’s already a trend going.

OP’s toddler granddaughter is asked to rein in her bladder for two hours. Shockingly, it doesn’t work and the poor kid is in discomfort (and potentially pain) for hours for nothing.

10 Likes

The editors agree with you apparently because it’s gone the way of the dodo…

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not surprised they removed it.
I wonder what made them think that it was one that would be well-received by the overall NAR community, to mean it was published instead of left in Unfiltered (at first).

4 Likes

My guess is the editor who approved it hasn’t been around kids to realize how out of line and ridiculous OP is being about a three year old’s ability to hold it.

1 Like

I’m not around kids a lot, either, and I’m not even sure I like kids.
But even just focusing on this being about demanding someone not pee when they need to, that should already say it’s not really something most people are gonna be okay with.

5 Likes

Comments for that story: Disqus - This Is Why I Don’t Have Kids

2 Likes

Am I just being unobservant, or did the third variant of the ‘late Thanksgiving reservation’ story get taken down?

It looks like it did – I can’t find it, either.

Got pinged to this. Teacher and class being silly?

Nope; more like inducing anxiety in a shy pupil and ruining someone else’s special day.

Warning: some of the comments include stories that may be triggering if you have been humiliated or bullied by a teacher

3 Likes

I’ve found the story on the wayback machine; my lord that OP deserves to be shot into the sun

1 Like

I remember that one. It was angry-making.

1 Like