Surprising Story Receptions

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a separate thread for a general story chat - asking questions related to a particular story, discussing things that are relevant, chatting about stories where the comments are no longer active - or even a dedicated one for story debates.

3 Likes

Double post, but:

The issue here is how the bettas are kept in the store. You can technically keep bettas in 3x3 cups, like with goldfish, but it’s pretty bad for the fish. It’s like drinking your own pee in a survival situation. You’ll stay alive, but it’s really not how you should be living.

5 Likes

“Break your foot, and then we can talk about you having a cellphone.”

2 Likes

Actually the current science suggests that drinking your own pee actually dehydrates you faster.

You need to drink the pee of someone less dehydrated than you.

2 Likes

OP’s heart may be in the right place, but they’re trying to get around certain safeguards that banks put around credit cards for a reason.

12 Likes

OP doesn’t seem to have knowledge of the phrase “snitches get stitches”, especially when it concerns a coworker rightfully refusing to not deal with a biohazard.

6 Likes

The disappointing part is that, based on the title, the editors agree with the General Manager and the OP that it was the cashier’s job to clean up the mess.

2 Likes

This OP thinks the new secretary needs to pick up the local quirks by mind reading.

8 Likes

I’m not expecting that story to last until morning, so here’s a screen grab of it, just in case.

4 Likes

The story isn’t very good, but why do you think they’ll go to the effort of deleting it?

Deletion takes little effort, just a quick button click and all the hatred and proof of the mistake just disappears.

3 Likes

Well, yes, but people are criticising OP rather than the editors…

I don’t think this is a good story. For multiple reasons.

Some of which are political.

4 Likes

It’s happened numerous times that a new story that gets a bad reaction gets deleted. Remember that story with the pharmacy that made mistakes with someone’s prescriptions, including misplacing items, and the OP thought the customer was unreasonable for complaining and forcing them to double check?

That lasted a day.

4 Likes

Its still there just now (09:22 GMT)

1 Like

To further add to my brief comment earlier, I can understand why they do delete some stories. They (NAR) want readers to feel comfortable submitting stories. No story is going to get universal love, but as we all know, some do receive universal hatred.

If a new submitter sees their story torn to shreds, they are unlikely to stick around or submit more stories.

As for Reddit stories, NAR always approach the Redditor for permission before publishing it. Can you imagine how likely they are to agree to submit other stories if their writing has been eviscerated?

One could argue that if that is the likely quality of their stories, why would we want others? But think of the OP who submitted tales of Mr Let’s Whack This Tree Full Of Bees? Not all of them are bad; there were a few really good ones.

Anyway, that’s why I think they get deleted. I’d write loads more, but my lunch break ended a few minutes ago…

1 Like

I’ve submitted quite a few stories over the last year or so and they have been mostly well received but on a couple of occasions the comment section really went for the jugular. This happened most recently on my story about leaving an old job because I was redeployed whilst my ‘safe’ job was given to somebody who didn’t do any work for my team and who just so happened to be good friends of management. At the time I held my hand up to placing undue emphasis on the retained colleague which gave people the sense I was trying to throw her to the wolves and save myself and/or that I undervalued her work. I still see the legitimacy and fairness of that feedback although it honestly wasnt what I intended or how I felt at the time.

However when I wrote it, to me it was a clear case of nepotism / cronyism or bad management (i.e. if she had been doing valuable work outside of my team then it shouldnt have been necessary to ring fence her within a team she wasn’t working for to protect an essential job). I was also prepared for my overreaction of leafdropping my resignation letter throughout the office to split the room.

What I wasn’t prepared for was the very severe accusations of my making ‘thinly veiled’ accusations that she was sleeping with bosses to keep her job and the associated vitriol expressed in the comments based on that assumption. I’m a thick skinned kind of guy and like I said, I hold my hands up to the narrative I submitted misleading people about who I was angry with. However had that been the very first story I submitted I don’t know that I would have written anymore.

3 Likes

Politics aside, it’s just a “you had to be there” thing; that allegedly witty remark the cabbie made and OP found funny does not make a good story when written down.

2 Likes

If the cabbie had made the remark, I think people would dislike the story less. OP made the remark to the Cabbie.

5 Likes

Oh, you’re right, so it’s even worse, the “Look how witty I was” kind of you-had-to-be-there moment.

4 Likes