Stephen’s Strolls: Wolverhampton Wandering 2

On the train to Wolverhampton. Must remember to get off then, or I’ll end up in Edinburgh!

The plan is to head north on the canals through Wolves, and then when I’ve had enough, catch the train to Birmingham and have a nice Chinese meal at Wing Wah.

I have been given quests for this week! @Sillsallad has asked for:

a pic of a yellow flower
a pic of a rabbit
a punny pic

@CJR is after pics of three different white birds, including a white duck. Here’s hoping!

As always, I’ll be posting updates using the location codes from www.what3words.com.

Feel free to post questions, comments, etc and I’ll do my best to respond. See you in Wolves!

2 Likes

Now at Sandwell and Dudley station. Next stop Wolverhampton!

2 Likes

///bumps.scam.moss

Last time i was here, i had one heck of a job finding my way to the canal. This time, instead of turning left i turned right, and saw it immediately!

Still need to get to it (jumping isn’t an option(, but hopefully it won’t be quite so involved…

1 Like

///cared.broken.risks

Here we are, and the first of many locks.

2 Likes

Enjoy!

Won’t be able to follow you live today, I’m off to work soon, but I look forward to see if you managed to solve your quests todnight :slight_smile:

1 Like

///rotate.areas.trunk

Just had to report a gas smell at the top lock, but I’m off again.

This, if you remember, is in a city.

I don’t think many boats have been along recently, as the water is very clear.

Clear enough for fish, but that quest is done!

2 Likes

///bless.heave.scarf

That is quite the drop for this lock!

1 Like

///hips.splash.shall

A bit more like being in a city. Btw, to the left of the lock you can see the overflow weir that allows excess water to pass by whilst the gates are closed.

Coot chicks and their parent.

They look similar to moorhens, apart from the beak and bit just above are white, unlike the moorhens’, which are red.

I doubt that will qualify as passing CJR’s quest, but something here should do for @Sillsallad

2 Likes

///inform.output.values

Saw my first boat!

This family started about three hours ago at the bottom lock (22, i think), and had now reached number 7

An Ordnance Survey bench mark on the canal lock step

These are used to help cartographers identify known heights when updating maps

1 Like

///family.ears.tolls

I got chatting to a gentleman who pointed out to the right of the canal is the old platform for Wolverhampton Lower Level station, used for train servicing and maintenance.

///asking.normal.galaxy

He then took me a but further along, and showed me what remains of the old turnstile, which was used for rotating and sending trains off on different lines.

///jungle.fits.spout

Back on the canal, you can see what remains of the old railway line, and a bit further on and higher up is the current one.

It isn’t until you get underneath the old bridge that you get a sense of how busy that station was.

///axed.limp.mute

Lock 12. Nice place to stop for a bite to eat, hopefully before the next boat comes through!

///focal.poet.pocket

Moving on, and this should give you an idea of how much drop there is in each lock:

///sheets.bunny.pitch

A satellite view of this location shows this is is in the middle of a built up area. But as is often the case with canals, the view from the towpath is beautifully deceptive

///intro.look.extend

In post 8 above, i showed a coot, with the white beak. Here’s a moorhen with its red beak and refusing to pose properly.

///crowds.blues.tunes

At lock 19, and facing an interesting bit of graffiti. No idea what it is; my mind keeps changing its mind to what it is, like that old optical illusion of the duck/rabbit.

Still not seen a rabbit yet though…

///kite.toned.half

The last of the Wolverhampton locks, lock 21. After that, two directions to head in… north or south.

///talent.brings.error

Addersley junction, where the Wolverhampton canal meets the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal.

Which way to go… north?

Or south?

I’ve been north before, albeit about 15 years ago. Let’s go south!

Here’s a handy info board of what lies ahead. That old water bridge sounds intriguing!

///begun.stump.trips

Look at this.

I would have sworn i was in the middle of the countryside. All i can hear are lots of birds and the wind in the trees.

Now look at the satellite image:

Incredible!

///neck.dawn.values

Here’s Tunstall Water Bridge from below…

…and above.

If you scroll up a couple of posts to the info board pics, you can learn about why a bridge was built, rather than having the stream feed into the canal