Stephen’s Stroll: From somewhere to somewhere else

Not got a lot on, it’s a nice (albeit cold) day, and it was either this or wear my armchair out.

I’m waiting for the bus to take me to Birmingham, and when i get there, im going to walk… somewhere.

No idea quite where though. I have a vague idea. I might go from the Bull Ring towards one of the canals and head in a direction i haven’t been before.

Or not. We’ll see.

But whichever way i go, I’ll post a few pics on the way.

5 Likes

Got a couple of pics of a mural as we were leaving Pool Meadow, Coventry’s main bus station.

As i finished taking the pics, i realised someone was taking a photo of my bus as we passed by. I guess we all get to have cameos in other people’s stories.

3 Likes

Yay! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Passing through Meriden, which marks the exact centre of England!

And here, on the green, is the marker…

…which shows the centre. Well, it used to. Until in 2013 some spoilsports had to prove it wasn’t using that old annoyance: science.

3 Likes

Is that named after the meridian?

1 Like

Glad the lights were red; gave me the opportunity to get a snapshot of this unusual street ornament

I think it’s a model of a DC10? Feel free to correct me!

1 Like

Apparently not. According to Wikipedia:

The name ‘Meriden’ derives from the Old English myrge , pleasant, and denu , valley

Meridian: late Middle English: from Old French meridien , from Latin meridianum (neuter, used as a noun) ‘noon’, from medius ‘middle’ + dies ‘day’. The use in astronomy is due to the fact that the sun crosses a meridian at noon.

Meriden used to be called Alspath, according to the Domesday Book of 1086

1 Like

Sun was in the wrong place, so i have no idea if this will come out clearly. Someone has made a brick mosaic of past monarch George 5th:

2 Likes

Nearly there. The old Bull Ring tower is next to the modern one, and my bus drops me off by one of the entrances, indicated by that pink mosaic.

2 Likes

…and here we are.

Think I’ll head over to Gas Street Basin, possibly passing through The Mailbox, saying hi to any aliens i might meet.

3 Likes

Bull has made some friends…

Me, i think I’ll steer clear

2 Likes

Passing by the railway station, with a modernised facade.

Rather smart, on reflection.

2 Likes

At the BBC in The Mailbox, but…

…no Dalek!

Time to leave…

And reach the canal!

I’ve not seen this type of canal lock before…

1 Like

I wanna live there!

2 Likes

Never seen this part of the canal before. Unfortunately because im walking towards the sun…

…I still haven’t!

1 Like

Currently under Fiveways road , experimenting with the Panorama feature…

1 Like

Forget what i said earlier… this is my future home!

5 Likes

You’re welcome to it. No moorings that I can see! Keep up the nice work!

2 Likes

In Edgbaston now. To the right of me is a railway line and ahead is a short tunnel.

A tour boat approaches

I’ve found the people who frequent the canals, Towpath Treaders, are all very friendly. Heck, even the graffiti, like what i saw in the tunnel…

…is polite!

3 Likes