Star Wars discussions

The Thrawn trilogy is quite good. Thrawn is (as always) several steps ahead of everyone. However, it seems as though a flaw has been introduced: that Thrawn is not very good at political intrigue, and has to rely on others to point that out to him.

Which kinda makes sense… except some of his brilliant schemes could only have happened if he fully understands how people will react. And given that their reactions are based on political motivations, it sometimes comes across that his understanding is switched on or off as the plot requires.

It’s not that blatant, and the stories are still very good. In the second of the Thrawn trilogy, Thrawn: Alliances, it’s two stories running in parallel. The Emperor has detected a disturbance in the force, and orders Thrawn and Vader to investigate. This is the same planet that decades earlier, a Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker is trying to find a certain missing Ambassador from Naboo, and comes across an unlikely ally of a lone Chiss warrior called Thrawn, who is there on his own secret mission.

1 Like

That aligns well with the comic I mentioned. He relied heavily on a young officer to advise him on the particulars of Empire politics because it was so far removed from his experiences amongst his own people that he didn’t have the frame of reference to be strategic about it. That said, I put this down to his being a young Thrawn and assumed that would change as he matured given that politics is just a different kind of battle.

1 Like

I think that comic was probably based on the book Zahn wrote. Was the young officer the person assigned to Thrawn because he spoke the same Fringe language?

1 Like

Yep, they both spoke Sy Bisti (I looked it up).

1 Like

Sounds like the comic definitely was based on Zahn’s book

A bit off topic, but have you read any of Zahn’s non-Star Wars works?

My particular favourite is his Conqueror’s trilogy

1 Like

Sadly no I haven’t but I’ll certainly add it to the queue. I’ve just finished John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War series and I’ve got the latest Raymond E. Feist and some comics to get through first but I am always looking for more sci-fi and fantasy to read!

2 Likes

Let’s not derail the thread too much, but…
Ooh, you read Feist, too? By the latest, do you mean Queen of Storms? Or has the last book of the Firemane trilogy already been published?

1 Like

It was released in the last few weeks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Is it putting it back on track, or derailing it further, if i mention Darths and Droids? It has been running for a long time, a long time. The premise is simple: Star Wars doesn’t exist, other than as a role-playing game between a DM and a few players.

All the bizarre and stupid decisions that took place in the films are really because the players had a bad roll of the die, or someone thought it would be neat to make their character “tasty to dragons”

They started with The Phantom Menace, worked their way through the six films, plus Rogue One, plus an episode of The Muppets. Currently they are about three quarters of the way through Force Awakens.

https://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html

1 Like

I misread that as Furries…

2 Likes

How do people feel about the Clone Wars cartoon? I didn’t like the animation style so I didn’t watch that. I gave Rebels a go but between the art style and the first couple of episodes not really grabbing me I dropped it.

However, I really liked the premise of the Bad Batch and despite still not really liking the art style I watched it and loved the story. I was told that a lot of the plotlines in the BB and the Mandalorian draw from Rebels and Clone Wars so I have Rebels another go. I still think it starts off slowly but I stuck with it and was hooked several episodes in.

I’m still struggling with Clone Wars though. What do people think, is it worth sticking with?

1 Like

It’s on brand. There was a similar joke about the Guardians of the Galaxy being an RPG played by the Avengers!

1 Like

I think that would be in a different section of the bookstore. Possibly behind some curtains.

1 Like

I’ve never seen Clone Wars, but i did watch Rebels (and enjoyed it).

1 Like

I thought it was a lot of fun and added some interesting dimension to later events. The animation style is different and I felt that was one thing that made it work. Stylistic of that point in the SW universe as it were.

1 Like

Now, for another movie… what do you all think of Solo?

I, personally, think it was an OK movie on its own with a good enough plot and interesting conflicts, but not a really good Han Solo movie. I can’t really put my finger on it, but it’s somehow too… optimistic? idealistic? for the hardened, cynical (even if ultimately good and upstanding) Han Solo from the mainstream movies. Granted, it’s the very start of his career and by the end, he shows shades of his later self when he guesses correctly that Beckett was about to shoot him and kills him first, but on the whole, I found it not much in line with his later character.
(Also, showing Darth Maul at the end just for a fan-appeasing cameo feels like a waste as it went nowhere so far.)

1 Like

The whole thing had so many fan references, it got distracting. The jetisonning of the escape pod was fine, but the dice…? The origin of his name??? Why?!

3 Likes

Indeed, and let’s not forget that rude robot about which I don’t think even the creators know whether it is supposed to be be a stand-in for feminists or abolitionists.

2 Likes

I think Disney horribly misjudged the appetite for Origin movies when Solo came out. I know its not a Superhero movie but it played into that same fatigue that audiences were experiencing with the umpteenth “[Superhero] Begins!” format.

Personally what I would much, much rather have watched would have been a movie about a ‘day in the life’ of Solo’s early career. Kind of like Karl Urban’s Judge Dredd films- the audience already knows who the character is, lets just show them going on an adventure.

4 Likes

Agreed. I think forcing THE Kessel Run into it, making it part of his first real job, is also too much.

1 Like