Star Wars Discussions: Return of the Thread

So, about this episode of Andor… I think the most that one can say without the spoiler tag is that this was very much an action-packed one; looks like they do packs of “two slow and one fast” episodes.

• I was expecting that not all of the infiltration team will survive the mission, but damn… three deaths in one episode is a lot. Nemik’s death especially hurt. He might have been too much of an idealist for his own good, but still.
  • I found it nice that they mixed up the heist’s action-packed scenes with the natives’ celebration’s more uplifting and peaceful moments.
  • It’s also interesting that they show just why living under the Empire is awful for oppressed peoples.
  • One thing I don’t like is, for how much buildup there was for this heist, I feel it was kind of anticlimatic.
  • On the whole, however, I like how the show puts Andor’s personal journey and the rebellion’s germination on parallel tracks.
1 Like

I wasn’t going to watch the episode last night but your comment made me do it, I hope you’re happy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That was indeed a very satisfying episode with a very solid emotional punch to it as well.

1 Like

You just had to read the spoiler, didn’t you? :smiley:
I wonder what Andor will do now that their big heist is over. He has no clear goal, it looks like he has no plans to meet Luthen again, but we know he’ll somehow still get caught up in Saw Gerrera’s bunch.

Actually no, I just knew that I wouldn’t be able to resist the allure of your spoilers for long!

Apparently Andor is grouped as three stories, each made up of three episodes. The first three introduced the loner Andor and how he first makes contact with the rebellion. The second three is his involvement with the heist, and the final three…? We shall see.

Isn’t it supposed to be 12 episodes, though? So there should be two mini-stories, then.

1 Like

Is it? Cool! More than i was expecting :smiley:

I thought this week’s episode was the finale! Thanks for the good news.

1 Like

Well, after this week’s episode, I start to think being in an imperial prison under a fake name is the safest position for Andor to be in, what with the Empire being on the hunt for his true identity and now even the rebellion’s agents trying to off him for being a loose end
Also, those KX droids are badass. I wonder how long it’ll take Kassian to warm uo to K2SO after being manhandled by another such monster :grin:

General pondering – do all planets in the SW-verse contain exactly one city at most?
Whenever we see something happening anywhere, the location is only being referred to by the planet’s name, and in some cases, it’s explicitly stated all the (human) population of a planet is referred to by their planet, e.g. the Nabooians.

I get it, it’s better this way from a worldbuilding perspective (it would be insanely complex/difficult, and mostly unnecessary, to show that planets have many settlements, with perhaps even different countries, like on Earth), but if you think about it, it’s a whole lot of unused real estate.

1 Like

There are a number of different cities, towns and settlements on Tatooine that have been visited over the course of the films and tv series. And i think in Rebels there are a few different places explored too? But those seem to be the exceptions rather than the rule.

A lot of the planets fall under what TV Tropes describe as single biome planets. So you have Tatooine that is a desert planet; the Forest Moon of Endor, the water world of Kamino, the ice world of Hoth…

1 Like

Indeed, they’re mostly single-biome planets, but, from what we see, they don’t even settle most of that single biome, even if it’s livable for humans. I guess most of the galactic population lives in a few megacities on specifically civic planets, or outright city planets like Coruscant, with other planets only having outposts for whatever they need from that planet (mining or extracting other resources, hosting a shipyard or scrapping station, serve as a sentry/vanguard, etc.)

2 Likes

Off topic but the biome discussion reminded me of this:

2 Likes

Wow, after these episodes, I’m starting to believe that in the “cold, calculated evil” department, Dedra Meero could give Palpatine a run for his money.
Oh, and I almost feel sorry for Karn for being such a deluded idiot with a smother for a mother.

2 Likes

I’m glad Andor’s pacing seems to have improved, the latest episodes almost seem to be accelerating towards a climatic event.

Its really, really interesting to see the pro-empire perspective as well and how the personnel working on its behalf rationalise their actions.

Did you find the pacing too slow previously? Or handling too many subplots at once? The last episode was certainly quite focused, that’s true.
In any case, since there are only two episodes left of the first season, I guess something climatic is in order indeed.

On another note, specifically about the latest episode, it’s a minor thing, but what’s up with the prison guards not using that clicker thingy they showed in Narkina 5, the one that makes the prisoners fall down in pain? I thought THAT would be their ultimate weapon against an insurgence, yet none of them used it.

I thought the first several episodes before the Heist were a bit of a slow burn, yep. The clicky thing electrified the floor, they did try to use it.

1 Like

I thought that was a separate thing… I thought it emits some kind of “brown note”, seeing how everyone got into a spasm. But you are probably right and it was a remote control for the floors. It’s just that they usually did that from the consoles.

I found the first three episodes a drag, and it was only in the latter part of episode 3 that i found the pacing pick up.

Normally i don’t watch review videos whilst the a season is in session, but i thought i would watch Vera’s review. She was so full of enthusiasm and love for these episodes that i started revisiting my thoughts. And you know what?

She won me over!

This isn’t a big Star Wars story of epic fights and Jedi vs Sith, but lots of little stories about how the Empire is making everyone utterly miserable.

I won’t go on, but instead let Vera hopefully persuade you that Andor is story-telling perfection.

On a side note, is it just me, or does Kyle Soller do a very good impression of troubled, by far not as important as he thinks he is Syril Karn? I’d say his portrayal is almost Mr Bean-level dense/blank, which fits the character perfectly.