Space Exploration

Just thought of a new debate.

Is space exploration worth the money?

As a (future) astronomer I feel obligated to say yes! But for real, there is a lot we still don’t know about even stuff relatively close to us, and the more we learn about the physics of space, the more we learn about stuff that can apply down here on earth too. Will we ever find alien life out there? Almost certainly not. It’s statistically 100% that there is other life out there, and statistically 0% chance that it’s actually close enough to us to ever find it. But there’s a lot still to learn about how we got here and what else is out there.

2 Likes

Depends on who’s doing it. Billionaires? Probably not, their money would be better used going to taxes and distributed to social programs. NASA? Well:

The report shows that, through all NASA activities, the agency generated more than $64.3 billion in total economic output during fiscal year 2019, supported more than 312,000 jobs nationwide, and generated an estimated $7 billion in federal, state, and local taxes throughout the United States.

2 Likes

I’m an idealistic college student, I only thought of the scientific worth, not the monetary gains.

1 Like

Depends on the nation. Do you receive aid from foreign powers and have national poverty issues? No government space program for you. Fix your issues before sending them off into the atmosphere.

3 Likes

People are starving. Let’s help the earth before causing issues in space

Edit: so pretty much qhat CJR said, on a global level :smile:

Space exploration will become relevant eventually, but I do wonder if now is really the right time what with everything else happening in the world.

But then again, I guess there’s always going to be something else going on in the world you could say that about.

Space research and associated industry have already generated a number of benefits for life on Earth, from communications and weather satellites to infrared thermometers to safer landmine removal to solar cells to pumps to help keep patients alive before heart transplants. See, e.g.:

Me, I’m all for it – and for better humanitarian aid on Earth. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Exactly. People starving on Earth are not starving because we don’t have enough resources to feed them, nor even because we don’t have the resources to feed them AND explore space. They’re starving because we (meaning Humanity as a whole) don’t care enough to distribute food to them. We could feed and house everyone AND explore space if we could sort the jerks out of our governments.

7 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.