Someone help this editor 'get' this story?

Hi everyone!

So I have recently read the following story and the final punchline has me stumped. Am I missing a joke for the final line? Is there anything to get? Please let me know what you think?

Public Library, Michigan, USA

I’m walking up to my local public library, carrying a canvas bag full of library books. The bag has a picture of an American Flag on each side. There’s a guy standing about twenty feet from the library entrance and the conversation is as follows…

Guy: “THAT BAG BETTER BE MADE IN AMERICA.”

Me: (I look down at the tag inside the bag for the label. Look up and smile.) “Yep, it was made in Texas.”

Guy: “WELL, IT HAD BETTER BE MADE FROM COTTON.”

Me: (I look at the label again.) “Yep, 100% cotton.”

Guy: Glares as I enter the library.

Me - thinking: I’m so grateful that the flag doesn’t have a gold fringe.

I don’t get it either, though most gold fringes are made of nylon, not cotton? maybe that’s why?

1 Like

The gold fringe is a SovCit thing, in which they claim that the gold fringe means that it’s actually a foreign flag. Someone carrying the flag is an agent of a foreign country that’s replaced all legal authorities in the US, and therefore all judges are evil foreigners or something like that.

I don’t think SovCits care about the composition of the flag, though, so I’m confused as to why OP thinks the loud person is a SovCit. Unless OP is a SovCit themself.

2 Likes

Every time I see SovCits, I feel so happy when they get to play with Mr Taser.

1 Like

“That had better be real gold!”

2 Likes

That’s how I was thinking it would have ended.

Basically, “Sovereign Citizens” have a thing against fringes on flags

1 Like

I’d never heard of Sovereign Citizens until they started making their way into NAR stories. The more I hear about them, the less I like.

2 Likes

Over here they’re called “Freeman of the Land”. You can sometimes sadly find them in the anti-TV Licence community, although they are met with much derision.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.