Sillsallad bikes: HOAG

There are a lot of bike paths here, a total of 1150km in my area!

2 Likes

I managed to take a wrong turn which led to a huge detour through the shady parts of town. Just tried to get through there fast, so no stops or photos! Back on track now!

2 Likes

I’m now officially in Oberhausen, the neighbouring city. Thr path is pretty straightforward, with fields and trees along the path. A brigde every now and then. A beautiful place to bike, but no thrilling photos to take

I think I’m sort of half way through

2 Likes

Just a lot of nature, green and birds chirping at the moment. Keeping an eye out for a bench, so I can have my picknick

2 Likes

Found a bench near this memorial. Quite weird looking, for a memorial, isn’t it?

It is an old coal mine that operated from the late 19th century until the 1930ies. The mine relied heavily on slaves (“forced workforce”). The working conditions were awful, a lot of people died from it, or were beaten to death. The corpses were tossed into the mine.

In honour of those who died, they’ve left this one building

3 Likes

The crow does, my name doesn’t :wink:

1 Like

I’ve arrived at the Landschaftspark (Landscape park), it’s an old iron work that has been repurposed into a park and event area. I’ll stop here and take a stroll through the area :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe you recognise the place? I poated some pictures a few weeks ago from a food festival :slight_smile:

Scuba divers?! Yes, of course! One of the silos is used for diving. There’s also a climbing park and a panorama platform. The last two are still closed

3 Likes

Would you dare?

1 Like

Standing next to the old glass blowers building, looks like it’s used for concerts now. Can’t go in today though, Sundays are closed

I was wrong, the climbing parkour is open! This looks sooo cool. There are barrels (wobbly) and ladders and stuff for the people to climb on. And it’s really high!!

Edit: just saw on the website that it’s 50m high!

2 Likes

This place is so big with so much to see. None of it comes off as cool on pictures as it is irl

Copied this from the website

*The Thyssen Ironworks in Duisburg-Meiderich, built in the grandiose style so typical of the time of advanced industrialisation, finally saw production come to an end with the last tapping of Blast Furnace 5 on 4 April 1985. At the same time, this was also the beginning of an unbelievable period of development. Through the contrast between continuous redevelopment and the constant need for preservation, an industrial wasteland has developed into a unique adventure playground for young and old – a development which is ongoing.

The idea for a new type of natural and man-made landscape with an industrial stamp was born in 1989. Based on designs by Professor Peter Latz and Partner, a Landscape Park has been created on the north Duisburg site measuring roughly 180 hectares, which is neither park nor landscape in the traditional sense.*

1 Like

I’ll stop for a coffee and some ice cream!

After that, I’ll head home. The official route will loop back into the starting point, heading towards a metro station. Since I’m heading another way, I’ll skip that :wink:

I’ve done 48km so far, it will be some more before I’m home. My legs are starting to make themselves known, haven’t done a tour like this in ages.

Thanks for the likes and comments, I hope you enjoyed it too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.