Sillsallad bikes: HOAG

Inspired by @Stephen 's strolls, I thought I might invite you to join a short bike tour.

The Ruhr region in Germany is known for it’s industry, for steel/coal mills, factories and dirt. The region has worked hard to get away from that image, trying to spruce up and re-nature and still honour the region’s history.

The HOAG-route is supposedly an example of that. The weather is nice today, so I’m going to give it a go.

Feel free to comment, ask questions and give me quests as I go. I will probably start in like an hour, just need to pack a light picknick :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The official route starts at a metro station, so the southern part won’t follow the map completely.

I’ve biked to the inland port, Duisburg has the biggest inland port in the world, and this section has been revamped into a bar/restaurant area. There’s even a small yacht club.

There’s some kind of canoe event here today, and a small flea market. In other words, it’s pretty busy.

I will continue the route towards the west, following the river up north

3 Likes

Same place around 1900, pic from wikipedia

2 Likes

Off we go!

1 Like

I’ve been pushing the bike because it’s too crowded, crossed a bridge to avoid the market. The bridge was wobbling because of the load. Yuck

3 Likes

Excellent! Hope you have a fun ride!

You up for photography challenges? If so, try and get a photo of a bird perching on something

1 Like

I’ll do my best. The chances are good when I get to the more quiet river part

1 Like

Skipping that short nothern part due to construction work. Here’s a pic in that direction. Looks like there are locks over there

This one of many of the channels in the inland port. It’s hard to get a good overview of the actual size because of it!

1 Like

Definitely induatrial now. There’s usually tons of ships buzzing in and out, quiet today - it is Sunday afterall!

1 Like

“1000-Windos-House” an old administration building. There’s an ophthalmologist in there now. At least he has a lot of glass…

5 Likes

The scale of your locks are somewhat larger than the ones i usually see!

2 Likes

Getting close to where the river Ruhr meets the river Rhine, it is also the end of the port. There’s a statue on the peninsula, but it’s a p.i.a. to get to!

2 Likes

It is called the Echo of Poseidon. It was erected to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the port. Looks…interesting…

3 Likes

Not getting far, too much to see!

City signils from fellow trade cities, and a museum ship!

3 Likes

Swallow nests! Too bad they’re busy flying around and won’t pose for me. Could have solved your challenge, @Stephen

2 Likes

“The Bridge Towers”

Here I could cross the Rhine and bike the (beautiful) western shore, but that’s not what my route wants me to!

The towers are 30+ meters tall and were built between 1904-1907. Traders from far away had to pay customs here

1 Like

There’s already a mix of nature and industrial stuff . Closing in on the river side fields now. The bird challenge can begin!

1 Like

I’ve tried to to some km now, snapping photos as I go, there’s still a long way waiting!

It’s not easy to photograph a crow in a green tree from far away! Does it count, @stephen

This is what it looked like for a long time. The bike path is on top of a flood protection damm, with the river on my left side.

It’s not allowed to swim in the river, people still do, so they built some protected pools. Never underestimate water and currents!

3 Likes

It’s greener where I am right now. I’ve stopped next to a mini airfield where people are flying their toy planes. Pretty windy today, they seem to be having fun

4 Likes

My average speed is not that good, that’s what you get for stopping all the time

2 Likes