Share Your Favorite Tips

So let’s share some life pro tips that you’ve discovered. I’ve seen this done on Facebook and other places so this could be fun.

Here’s one of mine:

If you are mixing up a large batch of eggs for something like breakfast or egg muffins for freezing, use a food processor . If breaks up the yolks much faster.

3 Likes

Use office binder clips (like the ones in the pic below) to keep closed food packages such as cookies, bread, flour, etc. They stay on a lot firmer and are cheaper than clips specifically marketed for food use.

4 Likes

For a bunch of cooking utensils and related stuff (cooking spoons, can opener, sieve, cooling rack) that I use regularly, I keep them hung up instead of in a drawer (I nearly lost all my utensils in a move that way). Also, I have a tendency to forget things exist when I’m not looking at them. So I put a shower curtain rod above the sink and I have all the utensils hanging from that. That way, I can quickly see what I need to get, I don’t have to hunt around in a drawer, I have more storage space for other things, I’m making use of space that I wouldn’t normally use, and I don’t need to dry those things because I can just let them drip into the sink. Plus, it doesn’t involve making holes in the wall. I’m thinking of doing the same over the oven for some of my lighter pots and pans, but the fume hood is too narrow for the standard rod and I haven’t gotten around to getting a smaller rod.

Also, if you have a deep kitchen sink, it helps to put a cooling rack on the kitchen sink rather than over the counter. It’s easier for air to circulate when there’s more room beneath the rack, so it cools things faster. Plus, it doesn’t get condensation on the counter.

4 Likes

To tell if a remote control is working point it at your phones camera and press a button. You will be able to see the light it emits with your phones camera.

5 Likes

Dead batteries will not stand on end; they will fall over. Learned this trick years ago and it’s mostly useless until someone asks “does this battery work?” and no on has a way to check batteries.

Also, wear long sleeves, pants, and a mask when removing poison ivy; it is possible to get poison ivy in your lungs. This wasn’t me but someone I knew of.

4 Likes

Another protip on poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac:

If you think you’ve been exposed, take a cold, soapy shower as soon as possible. Hot water opens up the pores, but cold water closes them–this makes it easier to wash off the urushiol oil without it causing a rash. Be sure to scrub.

2 Likes

Label any leftovers with the date of the original meal before you put the food back in the fridge. You can just write it on a piece of masking tape if you don’t have real labels handy. Throw out after 4 days.

I would throw out so much stuff because I could not recall how long it had been in the fridge, and I wasn’t taking chances. Also, sometimes you have two containers of the same thing from different dates, and need to know which to use first.

Stilltasty.com is a great resource for food safety info,

2 Likes

A simple flatbread can be made from flour and water. Even if you only have a pound/dollar left you can usually afford a bag of flour. It also takes less energy to cook than cheap pasta.

2 Likes

When approaching a strange cat, it’s polite to hold out your hand to introduce yourself.

If you wear glasses (like me), you can get a bit more distance by offering the arm of your glasses - it holds your scent. You can then go for the hand.

It’s also friendly to do a slow blink at the cat. If it blinks back, this is good! Jackson Galaxy calls it the “cat I love you”.

3 Likes

People get further in life by being confidently wrong than they do by being quietly right. Do what you will with that knowledge.

4 Likes

Baking soda in with soap and vinegar in the rinse not only helps with odd smells in clothes, but can help with cat hair being stuck/attracted to the clothes as well. I have a white cat and a lot of dark clothes.

My newest question for when I’m shopping is “What would I use if I didn’t have/buy ____?” It has helped me realize I can get rid of the odd things that I’ve got squirreled away for that one day I might need it.

3 Likes

If you can’t open a jar, run the lid under hot water for 30 seconds.

3 Likes

If your shower is stained, you can rinse the floor then coat it in a layer of baking powder, then cover the whole thing up with old towels. Pour boiling water all over the towels until they’re saturated, and let them sit until cool. Use the towels to scrub up the stains. It worked pretty dang well.

4 Likes

Decluttering tip: Nobody will know if you throw excess books in the garbage, and you can’t even donate some books. I once threw out an entire c.1965 encyclopedia, putting two or three volumes in the trash each week.

I’m keeping the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, though, even though it has the ickiest binding ever. Someone thought it would be absolutely awesome to release an encyclopedia with a soft suede/velvet cover instead of a conventional leather(-like) hard cover. It’s a nightmare pulling out a single volume, and the texture of the cover drives me nuts, it just feels wrong in a way that few other things do.

1 Like

Rapidly rubbing your thumb against your first two fingers creates a similar sound to the pspspsps sound that cats like. In my experience, it works even better at getting their attention. Plus, it doesn’t require you to have a mouth.

5 Likes

If you ever get a brain freeze pressing your toungue or your thumb to the roof of your mouth will make it go away faster.

Also if you get motion sick in a car holding up a bottle with liquid in it near the horizon line can help alleviate motion sickness for some.

4 Likes

I wear seabands because I’m horrible with motion sickness. Always have been.

2 Likes

I wish I had a good tip for you, but I can’t think of anything at the moment. But I would like to bump the thread, because I need more of this collective wisdom :smiley:

1 Like

When searching for something, always consider up above your head. The number of people who don’t look up is astonishing.

3 Likes

They must not be a short human in a tall person’s house.

Or even a house/apt built for a taller human. /snark

But, yeah, ever since I read that in a book, I try to always remember to look up.