Sale Offer

Okay, this is a little long, but please bear with me.
Recently I bought several rolls of fabric at an auction of a defunct furniture retailer and I am reselling the fabric online to try and make a little money.
I have 3 full rolls of one fabric - 3 different colours. Retail on this material is $12 - $15 per metre depending on where you shop. I’m asking $3 per metre.
Somebody asked if I would do a deal if they bought all 3 rolls. I said yes and worked things out this way:
“There is between 25 - 30 metres per roll (I’m not sure exactly) but let’s call it 25.
3 rolls = 75 metres. @ $3 per metre = $225. I’ll do the lot for $200.”
The potential buyer offered me $120. (For the lot.) I said No. Am I being unreasonable?
I didn’t think so, as there is almost $1000 retail value here, but somebody said I should have thought about it, as the potential buyer was offering to take a lot of stuff and just wanted a wholesale discount. That maybe I should have been willing to haggle…
I just found it rude. Am I being unreasonable?

1 Like

Your pricing doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. You’re already selling it for at least 75% off of retail, and you offered roughly a 10% discount off of that when asked (depending on how much fabric’s actually on each roll). They offered only 60% of your already steeply discounted asking price.

I don’t know how much you paid for the fabric, plus any extra you may have paid for auction fees or shipping or for your own sale listing, or how much it would cost you to deliver the fabric either as an entire lot or to piecemeal buyers. If the amount this buyer is offering is enough to more than cover all your costs (and time and effort) and you just want to be done with this and have it all sold and gone, then maybe that offer is worthwhile for you. But if it isn’t, you don’t have to cheat yourself out of an anticipated $105 just because the buyer wants an even bigger deal.

4 Likes

I agree with Bibliovore. You are the seller, you have no obligation whatsoever to sell below your asking price, and your asking price is reasonable enough already. You calculated with the minimum of meters, and gave a discount on that.

I don’t think it’s rude to offer the $120 for the potential buyer though, (s)he also just tries to get the best deal possible. But that does NOT mean you should’ve accepted that.

3 Likes

honestly I’m struggling to even see why you would sell it for so little. Less than retail is great but bumping it up to $5 would still be more than fair and give you more money.

2 Likes

I just wanted to sell it. I bought cheap enough that I was - and am - still making a profit at that price. Cheaper usually equals quicker sale.
Still got some left if you want some? :grin:

1 Like

Honestly if I were a fabric crafter I’d be ecstatic to find material for that cheap. That’s like a $10 skein of cashmere yarn from the sound of it. Lowballers are honestly just lazy scam artists (with a few exception of people asking for a further discount on something more necessary, like used clothes/shoes/even a car - you can usually tell who is in genuine need by if they accept ‘no’ with grace. The scammers pretending to be in need will whine or get aggressive, while the people in need know they’re asking a lot and will often even thank you for your time).

3 Likes

If you’re not comfortable with an offer, then don’t take it. You’re not being unreasonable.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.