Reasons for why Government ID isn't a good idea for service dogs

Do to today’s NAF story about service dog getting dirty looks at a dinner for wolf research and education this story:

like usually when service dogs stories pop up on the NAR site people in the comments say that “the government should provide a ID Card to service dogs to disabled people” but as I pointed out to the one person today there’s three problems for that idea

1)governments don’t hand out stuff for free you know? So that I would assume that the disabled people needing it would be require to pay money (I would assume they don’t have) to be able to get the Service Dog ID.

2)What if a Karen wants to lie about their pet being a service dog and goes through all the hops to get their pet a service dog ID from the government?

3)Or what if they have a family member or friend whom has a service dog with government ID and the “Karen” “borrows” it like Karens borrow Parking permits, and use it for their pet dog?

1. The government is capable of just not charging for that ID. If there were legislation to give service dogs ID, you could lobby your representative to ensure that it came free of charge.

2. What’s to stop someone from lying like that now? This just makes it harder for a person like that to lie.

3. That would be on the person with the service dog, and is related to reason 2. It just makes it harder for someone to lie about their pet being a service animal.

There are reasons to not register service animals, but they’re more related to their being animals that perform services outside of what the government considers necessary than that people will lie about their animals being service animals.

4 Likes

Well you know how it is, the government doesn’t really like to hand out free stuff. So I’m betting if there was Government ID card that it would require Money and a lot of disabled people don’t have money for even basically stuff

oh you mean like it’s easier to lie about needing a parking permit which people (suppoedly) do so easily?

Saying that the government might require money for it is not the same as the government requiring money for it. It’s not a good argument.

It’s easier to lie about a dog being a service dog if the dog doesn’t need an ID than it would be if you had to actually get a dog a fake ID to say it was a service dog.

2 Likes

Government doesn’t hand out stuff for free. So I’m 99% certain that if the government DID issue government ID for service dogs there would be a price especially more so if it’s government is like the Conservative governments in parts of Canada (Ontario, Alberta), or the Tory party in the UK. (I think it’s a Tory party in the UK). So it’s a good argument.

The government gives you money every month. Don’t say that the government doesn’t hand out things for free when you get taken care of on the largesse of the government.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t get money, but claiming that the government will screw disabled people just because they can when they take care of you is hypocritical.

6 Likes

there’s a difference… I’m not getting the money for free from provincial government. I am as long as I don’t work. If I did work I would get penalized but you guys whom don’t know what it’s like for people on ODSP whom can’t even make ends meet are so sure I could work… and like I said last time… whom wants someone whom could only work 5/hours a week?

So it’s not the same as government presumbly requiring people whom require service dogs to help with tasks giving them an outragous price to be able to get an service dog ID. Like I bet the price would be something like $100 if not more and some disabled people have only have some money just to afford bare necessaries including one for the service dog without a $100 ID they wouldn’t be able to afford.

My government ID was free. Why wouldn’t this one be?

Well as far as I’m aware in Ontario Driver’s Licence, Provincial ID and our OHIP cards come with a cost (we have to pay for them to be renewed) at our local DMV or Healthservices. And in Canada because there’s a mismatched in services in various provinces that some governments would require payment for service dog ID and some government wouldn’t. (There’s no federal disablity act in Canada even though there should be)

Ontario DL’s renewa fee: $90
Ontario Provincial ID: $35

OK: I was wrong about the OHIP card having to be paid. But other then that the other two (DL and Ontario ID aka Provincal ID you do have to pay).

Since the story is set in the US: state governments make people pay for disabled placards and plates and the federal government taxes disability benefits. Also, the US government does charge for IDs, even ones that don’t come with drivers licenses. So it would absolutely charge people for service dog IDs.

Also, given how applying for disability benefits works, it would probably make people jump through a lot of hoops to decide whether they should be able to have a service dog. Some possible things they might have:

• A doctor’s visit to ensure that the disability requires a dog (time off work and you’d have to pay for the visit since insurance probably wouldn’t cover it)
  • Proof of training, which means that trainers would have to shoulder more costs and deal with unnecessary regulation so that they can certify their dogs (will increase the costs of service dogs, which a lot of disabled people already can’t afford; look up fundraisers for getting service dogs)
  • A list of which conditions require service dogs (which will probably exclude people who can get by without them even if it’s suboptimal, like diabetics who have dogs trained to smell their insulin levels; they can check their insulin by stabbing their fingers, after all)
  • Exclusion of people who haven’t paid enough into Social Security (this is an actual thing that the US disability application process requires; under-18s can get benefits even if they haven’t worked, but only if their parents have paid enough in)

So basically, this would be extremely difficult for disabled people to deal with in the US and plenty of people who do need dogs would fall through the cracks.

2 Likes

@KiannaMcDowell Thank you for making my argument clearer about my first argument.

What you are saying is exactly what I meant that there would be a price: psychically, emotionally and fiscally for both disabled people and handlers whom train service dogs.

And there’s also the chance of some people thinking even with a government issued
service dog ID that there will still be some people whom think disabled people with service dogs are ‘fakers’.

Not to mention that there could be actual fakers; we had a ton of people with forged vaccination cards, after all.

And there are people who will forge government IDs as well, so I don’t doubt they’d be able to forge a service dog ID.

1 Like

that too!

And I am aware of how expensive service dogs are. On my FB page, for my b-day -I’m trying to raise money for Quebec-based, Canadian service dog foundation Mira and I only know of the foundation via Molly Burke. And from what I heard from Molly (of what she heard of other service dogs schools) that’s Miara is better in some respects then others.

the main one is that the handlers to-be- try out different dogs before finding the right ‘fit’ for them. Other guide dogs school just pre-match as Molly put it in her guide dog videos that it’s like speed dating vs an arranged marriage

one is they Miara do try to teach their service dogs (well presumably the guide dogs and austic dogs ) to ride on escalators a lot of service dog schools don’t

but anything else has escaped me at the moment.

Any potential service dog at Miara whom doesn’t pass any of the tests for any of the three service dogs they offer, can become someone’s pet. And it’s huge adoption fee that covers all the stuff that made up their years before they didn’t pass the tests and that’s how Mira recoups some of the costs back into the dogs which can be fully trained

But the donations help to cover first two years of the dog’s life

Depends upon the state. California gives disabled plates out for free and many states have free IDs. Now, all IDs should be free and automatic, but it’s still not true that you are charged for all of them.

It’s likely that a modern US implementation of a service dog licensing system would be terrible, but the idea that service dogs would need to meet a minimum standard is not bad in and of itself. Regulation to ensure that service dogs do what they’re supposed to do could ensure that people get what they are paying for and aren’t cheated out of a dog that can enhance their lives.

California gives out placards for permanent disabilities for free. Temporary disabilities, however, are $6 per instance. They last for six months. If you need to renew it, that’s another $6 for the renewal. The first disabled plate is free, provided you renew your registration (which is either $99 or free, depending), but after that it’s $20.

Additionally, while CA gives out permanent placards for permanent disabilities, other states don’t. Texas, for instance, only has permanent disability placards that last for two years. Even if they’re free, needing to renew it for something that’s not going to change is an unnecessary hassle.

And certification for service dogs does exist in the US; it’s just not handled by the government.

Another thing that should be considered: some people train their own service animals or get training done for their existing pet. If they already have a large, patient dog, it makes more sense to train that one than to get another dog (which can be $15,000-$50,000 depending on training). If someone trains their own dog, then the owner would most likely have trouble getting official recognition even if the dog meets all of the requirements. The government would probably require someone to get a certificate, which means only buying a dog that’s already been trained or getting a professional trainer to do it ($10,000-$30,000; cheaper but still unreasonable).

Not to mention that training a service animal, whether professionally or at home, requires the animal to be in public to make sure it can behave in uncontrolled environments. A law that requires government IDs would basically make it impossible to properly train the animal in public settings.

Also, the US only recognizes dogs as service animals, even though other animals can be useful, like mini horses that pull wheelchairs or monkeys that can grab things. If that’s not changed before an ID law is implemented, it’s likely that if a government ID is required for service animals, then service animals which are performing jobs but can’t get IDs because they’re not dogs would be banned.

So given all of that, pretty much the only benefit that people are arguing for is that people would be less dubious about service animals. Except that even then, that wouldn’t help as much because people would still claim that they’re fakers or that they forged the ID. We already see this with disability placards. The problem isn’t the animals; it’s that people discriminate against people who are visibly disabled. For instance, pushing someone’s wheelchair without consent because they’re “in the way” or even pushing someone out of a wheelchair because they want to prove the person is just faking it because they’re “too lazy to walk”. The wheelchair isn’t the problem; the problem is that some people are being bigots and questioning whether they really need their medical aid is a way of being bigoted without looking like you’re being a jerk to a disabled person. Requiring a special ID for a service animal is like requiring a special ID for a wheelchair; it’s not going to stop the bigots from claiming that it’s faked because that’s the fig leaf they’ve picked, and it’s going to keep a lot of people from getting help they need.

In short, implementing it would mean barely noticeable benefits to some people, while a bunch of others would get screwed over. Is that really worth it?

2 Likes

appluse

well done! Not only with placecards ID. Also disabled people on welfare like the one I’m on also are accused of being fakers and should be ‘out getting a job’ espically when you have business-friendly government (aka Doug Ford) in charge of the province.